• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7PRC & 300PRC builds for hunting/ELR

K2e2vin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
I have two rifles I was going to build but now not sure which route to go. Initially I was going to build a lightweight Tikka in 7PRC for hunting in North America(elk) and recently picked up a Bergara that I was going to turn into an ELR(mile) rig in 300PRC. Should I go the other way around? I read somewhere that the 7PRC will stay above transonic longer but 300PRC.

Note: I already have both rifles. Tikka currently has a heavy 300wsm barrel on it but it's been replaced by another Tikka in 6.5CM.

Tikka receiver is limited to roughly 3.48" length. SAAMI min COAL for 300 prc 3.575" to max 3.700". Unless you want to handicap the cartridge, it's not worth doing. 7 PRC would be the better choice for the Tikka receiver.

Though I may be misunderstanding your intent and you may be asking if you should do 7prc for ELR and 300prc for hunting, in which case, quick generic inputs on the Hornady 4doff app - 7mm 190gr ATIP at 2950fps vs 308 cal 230gr ATIP at 2950fps, the 190gr ATIP is at 1169fps at 1800yds and the 230gr ATIP is at 1274fps at 1800 yds. You can run the calculations to confirm.

I guess I should've clarified. Tikka will be 7PRC, Bergara would be 300PRC. Basically, which one should I make into a pure hunting rifle(lightweight) and which should I turn into a heavier, basically bench rifle.

I'm away for work so haven't had the chance to run any numbers, I've just gone off of number/charts other people posted. They both look like they should do fine for mile(especially at higher altitudes) but my initial line of thinking was I can make the 7PRC lighter since action is a little shorter and recoil lighter....but for hunting I only take 2 shots at most anyway so why not use the higher energy cartridge?

I guess I should've clarified. Tikka will be 7PRC, Bergara would be 300PRC. Basically, which one should I make into a pure hunting rifle(lightweight) and which should I turn into a heavier, basically bench rifle.

I'm away for work so haven't had the chance to run any numbers, I've just gone off of number/charts other people posted. They both look like they should do fine for mile(especially at higher altitudes) but my initial line of thinking was I can make the 7PRC lighter since action is a little shorter and recoil lighter....but for hunting I only take 2 shots at most anyway so why not use the higher energy cartridge?

The choice seems obvious to me but I tend to be more utilitarian, so if it were me, I'd go 7PRC and thats it, but you have two guns so why not.

With a true 300PRC Bench gun, you can really stretch it out and go heavy and have a manageable and fun ELR gun. Lobbing 215-230gr pills is going to give an obvious advantage in the 1500-2500yd range. Seems like what 300PRC was kind of for....

I'm not sure what 7PRC would have problems killing easily, and you can make it much lighter and easier to shoot, especially in positional shooting or on tripods. You can run 150's like lasers or bump to 195 and really extend your elk range, etc.

My next build will probably be a 7SS and I'm thinking that may be the last "bigger" round I'll do. IT would suite any and all long range needs for me.

Reactions: K2e2vin
Turn the Tikka 7PRC into the lightweight hunting rifle and the Bergara 300PRC the heavier ELR rig. The 7mm 190gr Berger and Hornady are nice but you get more and better options with loading heavier, high BC bullets like the Hornady 225 ELD-M, 230gr ATIP, and (single feed) 250gr ATIP, Berger 220gr LRHT, 230gr Hybrids, and 245gr LRHT, slightly more retained velocity and less wind drift.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2e2vin
Thanks guys! Yeah my original plan was to just have the Tikka in 7PRC....but came across the Bergara and had me thinking....apparently too deep!