• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7saum questions

smokinbobf4

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
I am thinking of building a lightish weight short rifle in 7saum for some distance shooting and hunting. Mainly hunting. Thinking of going with an origin short action, proof sendero 22” in a mdt hnt26. I would love the medium action but I love this chassis and there aren’t too many options that I know of that fit the medium. Thinking of using Berger 168 or 180. Possibly even the Hornady eldx. I have seen velocities from 2730-3000 in that barrel length. I was really hoping to be in the 2850 range but I know every barrel is different. What velocities have you experienced and what have been your preferred powders? Also, I am pretty sure a bullet like the 180 will not be under mag length but would a 168 fit? I don’t want to limit myself too much

do Sherman 7SS

similar speeds but much better COAL and bullet placement in the case in a short action with 180 class

there are 7SAUM threads here and big Sherman reloading data threads on LRH

Reactions: smokinbobf4
I had a short action 7saum with a 22” barrel. Velocity will completely depend on the powder you use. With both h4831sc and h4350, I was around 2760 with 180 hybrids, and started hitting pressure around 2800. I’m sure you could get more out of it with h1000 or rl26.

Thanks. With how hard powders are to get, I hope to use h1000 as I have a fair amount of that. I also have a lot of h4350 and have seen that can work. I heard good velocities also with reloaded 23 and 26, but I have none of those and really never see them available

7 saum saami reamer. 180 eldm, proof steel 26”, 60.2 gr Rl23, ADG brass, GM215M, CBTO 20 thou off lands, feeds excellent out of 2.950 mags, 2990 fps.

Was getting more velocity out of Rl26, but 23 was way more accurate. Saved 2 grains per load for equal velocity also.

Good info here. Thinking of doing the same on a TL3 with a Ti can.

How do the slower powders under a 180 work out of a 22” like H1000, N565, R26? I think even with dbm oal restrictions they’ll safely get to 2800 with that class of bullet, only one way to find out though.

Good info here. Thinking of doing the same on a TL3 with a Ti can.

How do the slower powders under a 180 work out of a 22” like H1000, N565, R26? I think even with dbm oal restrictions they’ll safely get to 2800 with that class of bullet, only one way to find out though.
They’ll work just fine. There’s a 7 saum Facebook page with a bunch of Kiwi’s shooting in 20-22” hunting configured rifles getting great velocities from the tradition magnum powders. In my 26” with RL26, I never did hit pressure, never really stepped on the gas either, but I saw 3000 fps with 180 eldm. Had room to go too. The post above you proves 2900 can be had, slower powder will do it just might take more of it

Those are the numbers I would like to see. I will be getting similar components also.
Yeah, I am super happy with it. Didn't mention, but that is ADG brass. I built it on a Defiance XM, but could have easily stuck with a SA for all of those 160-175g bullets and the COAL I'm running with the SAAMI chamber. Haven't tried heavier bullets; don't need to for this hunting rig.

Yeah, I am super happy with it. Didn't mention, but that is ADG brass. I built it on a Defiance XM, but could have easily stuck with a SA for all of those 160-175g bullets and the COAL I'm running with the SAAMI chamber. Haven't tried heavier bullets; don't need to for this hunting rig.
Adg is what I am going to try and find. Hopefully I can get some in the next year or so! Lol

I was. I am actually going to go off of a big horn origin and they do offer a 22” prefit for that. Was just curious
Do it! Just finishing up another load development on mine with Berger 184 f class hybrids. Had a bunch of 180 eldm’s blow up out of the last batch. 2964 with groups in the .3’s using RL26, the seating depth ladder test at 300 is pretty much 1 moa. I‘m planning on a light hunting oriented build next winter with proof’s 22” sendero light on a Defiance antiX. This case is hard to beat, maybe the best of the short mag 7’s.

22" Proof (8.4t), SAAMI Chamber, RL-23 Powder...

2970 w/ 160 Nosler
2940 w/ 168 VLD
2910 w/ 175 ELD-X
Thx Mark. How high are you going with the 175? I'm at 58.5 and only getting around 2,800 from my Bartlein 8.5 twist 22". Barrel only has 150 rounds on it though, need to chrono it again I think.

Thx Mark. How high are you going with the 175? I'm at 58.5 and only getting around 2,800 from my Bartlein 8.5 twist 22". Barrel only has 150 rounds on it though, need to chrono it again I think.
59g of RL-23. I went up to 60g, but my best node was at 59.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16