• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7wsm 162 Amax, 4831SC Max Load

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
I am trying to hit some real velocity with a 22.5" barrelled 7wsm. So far with 64 gns of 4831sc under a 162 Amax, I have reached a consistent 2835, without pressure--and great accuracy.

I want to juice it up a bit more and I'm curious as to what others have found to be a max pressure load using 162 amax, 4831sc, and 215m.

TIA

Re: 7wsm 162 Amax, 4831SC Max Load

You're max and someone else's max will probably be different. The only way to know is to increase the powder charge in your rifle. I am showing you are right at max, if not a little over max already. Plus you are running a 22.5" barrel. You really need a 24" or longer to take full advantage of the caliber. For H4831, it's not the best powder to maximize velocity. But if it shoots well, stick with it. No animal or target is going to say "Dayum- that 162 grain A-max was running 80 fps slower than it should have been!"
grin.gif

But if you want to try another powder to see about increasing velocity, I would normally say look at H1000, but you have a shorter barrel. So, you really need a faster powder than the H4831. So, I'd look at H4350, Varget, or R15.

I have a long barrel 7wsm, and playing around with this short barrel to see what she can do in a smaller lighter package. I am well aware that I am bucking the trend regarding barrel length. Since I already have an ample supply of RE 22 and 4831sc, I figured its the logical place to start.

Chad- Thanks for the caveats--I realize I am near max, but showed no pressure signs. As a 7wsm has a limited barrel life, I wanted to assess the wisdom of upping the charge before burning any more barrel than necessary. Is you "max" via computer or actual use? I recognize no two rifles are the same.

Re 17 is next.

Bottom line, I need to surpass the performance of any other 7mm short action, in order to justify burning 60+ grains of powder, losing 3 rds capacity, and carrying bulkier heavier ammo.

In other words 2900 fps. I am almost there.

C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is you "max" via computer or actual use? </div></div>
Looking at book and computer data. I haven't shot this exact combo before.

R17 would be a good choice. It has given me higher fps increases per .2 or .3 grains of powder than any other powder I have tried. But, pressure shows up very quickly with it.

Gotcha- Thanks. Interesting note. 64 gns of re22 pushed the 162 slower than 64 gns of 4831sc in the 22.5". In the 24" the opposite was true, re22 shot a little faster than 4831sc. That's why I was considering going a little hotter with 4831sc in the 22.5--I just don't want to piss in the wind as components and time are scarce--and barrel life is fleeting.

fwiw - I have tried many combos of powders in 7WSM with a 24" barrel. H4831sc is accurate, but slow. Others with 26" barrels can reach higher velocities with the H4831, but I never could in my 24". For me, RL22 is faster, and MagPro is even faster. In my 24" barrel, 67.0 gr of MagPro with a F210M can push the 162 Amax well over 3100 with no over pressure signs, even in hot weather. MagPro is the go to choice for me, RL22 is the next in line, and H4831sc is third.

RL 15/Varget/RL17 will not fill the case enough to give optimal consistency.

Just my two cents after about four thousand rounds of 7wsm.

If you find a load that shoots well, and is still under your desired fps, go with it. From your 2825 fps to 2900 fps, you are only getting 1.63 MOA (17 inches) flatter to 1K with about the same wind drift. (27.89 MOA vs. 26.25 MOA to 1K)
I'll take a more accurate round with a little less fps over 75 fps faster and not as accurate everyday.

im shooting a 23" barrel and get 3200fps without issue with 4831sc. Im not telling what my load is because its not even in a book and i honestly don't know, but you can put more powder in than most books recommend. they are more of a guideline....Just go up in powder and go slow. I use a harrels powder thrower and just go up 2 clicks at a time and re set the thrower to that number next time i load. never have weighed it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im shooting a 23" barrel and get 3200fps without issue with 4831sc. Im not telling what my load is because its not even in a book and i honestly don't know, but you can put more powder in than most books recommend. they are more of a guideline....Just go up in powder and go slow. I use a harrels powder thrower and just go up 2 clicks at a time and re set the thrower to that number next time i load. never have weighed it... </div></div>

I've been hoping you'd chime in Glen!

You rings will be one of the many parts that lodge in my forehead if I get over-ambitious!
smile.gif

At 64 grains I've got no pressure signs so I guess I'll keep going. At what elevation are you shooting Glen?