• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7wsm Build Help

trailside22

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2008
I know there are many of you much more knowledgeable than myself and many of you have a 7mm WSM so I am asking for your help. I don't want to cut any corners as this my be the last custom rifle I have build for a while. I this 7mm WSM to be my main hunting rifle. This will be used to hunt coyote to moose and mostly whitetail deer. I want to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards. I am going to shoot the high BC bullets 168gr and 180gr Bergers and 162gr A-Max. Here is what I have in mind so far, please let me know what you think and changes or advice you may have.
*Remington 700 short action, trued with oversized bolt knob *Broughton or Bartlein 9-twist barrel finished at 24"
*Stock McMillan HTG, A3 or Manners (need help with this)
*Wyatts Mag Box
*Badger bottom metal, Badger scope rail and Badger Rings.
*Night Force 3.5x15x50 NXS
Please let me know what you think and any changes you would make. I need all the help I can get. Thank you!

Re: 7wsm Build Help

Sounds like a winner to me. Though Id drop the Wyatts for a Badger M5 with modded AI mags. Stocks are personal choice- only you can know what fits you.

I currently run the rig you are describing-only with a 22.5" bartlein barrel with thruster brake in an HTG with Surgeon DBM. Don't forget about weight. I have a fluted MTU contour, cut at 22.5" in an HTG and it still runs 15lbs fully outfitted.

Since you want to hunt with yours I'd think hard about a lighter contour like a medium palma and either the McM Edge fill or a Manners T in 90% CF. Also, look at the Surgeon DBM--it is REALLY nice--and with modified AICS mags you can load to 2.94 or so. Also, the Wyatts will still only give you 3 rds.

Trailside,

I'm contemplating a similar build. I'm going with an HTG adjust. What contour are you thinking about? I have a Barltien Heavy Target for my 300wm and couldn't imagine anything heavier.

go seekins dbm

he is offering a 3 round option, pretty low profile and gives you 3.1+ oal

definatley the way to go

for stocks i would go manners mcs-t carbon fill

sound like a great gun

If you are going to run a short action and shoot the long VLD's I would definitely go with the Seekins DBM. Everything else looks good.

My 7wsm
Predator long action
Krieger varmint contour 25" (fluted)
Mcmillan adj. HTG
NF 5.5-22
So far I haven't found anything that I would change. I have only had it a few months and now that hunting season is over I can start on fine tuning some loads. I built this gun for heavy bullets but the 140 Accubonds are shooting so good that I am starting to have second thoughts on the bullets.

I've got an A-5 EDGE stock on my 7Wizzer. Nice & lightweight & I prefer the ergos to the HTG. Just personal preference there...

It is a Surgeon SA with Wyatt's box, 2+1. 2.975" coal feeds fine, with some room to spare. If it were available at the time, I'd have gone with a Seekins DBM instead of the current Badger M4 though. My only regret now, but a tiny one at that...

The 24" tube will get ya 3K fps easy with the 162 Amax. I'm running mine like 2975-ish easily, IIRC. The Thruster brake works like a dream...

With the #7fluted axle & hunk o' Heritage on top, it still weighs right at 14 lbs...
7Wizzer011.jpg

My deer hunting AO is slated to go from 'shotgun only' to rifle legal this season. If that is the case, there will be some deer dying from a looong way away via this sucker...

Good luck with your build!

A medium palma might be a good contour to consider. I don't quite get the speeds as some claim out of my 26" 7wsm, but I like it just the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trailside22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there are many of you much more knowledgeable than myself and many of you have a 7mm WSM so I am asking for your help. I don't want to cut any corners as this my be the last custom rifle I have build for a while. I this 7mm WSM to be my main hunting rifle. This will be used to hunt coyote to moose and mostly whitetail deer. I want to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards. I am going to shoot the high BC bullets 168gr and 180gr Bergers and 162gr A-Max. Here is what I have in mind so far, please let me know what you think and changes or advice you may have.
*Remington 700 short action, trued with oversized bolt knob *Broughton or Bartlein 9-twist barrel finished at 24"
*Stock McMillan HTG, A3 or Manners (need help with this)
*Wyatts Mag Box
*Badger bottom metal, Badger scope rail and Badger Rings.
*Night Force 3.5x15x50 NXS
Please let me know what you think and any changes you would make. I need all the help I can get. Thank you! </div></div>

What trigger are you going with ?

I like my Tubb contoured barrel.Come rebarrel time it's going on my other tactical rifles.

Steve

+1 on the Seekins BDM. My buddy runs his 7wsm on a Surgeon RSR with Surgeon BDM. He had his gun throated for the 162 amax's and he can run them out of the AI mags but I think if his stock was inleted for the Seekins or it he had it to do over again he may change his mind and go with the Seekins metal.

You may also try the 162 amax. He is getting 3160 out of a 27" tube and RL 17 on his. Run those numbers. You may also consider looking into the Accurate mags. The WSM magazine is a little longer inside. Bottom line your gonna absolutely love the 7wsm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
7Wizzer011.jpg

</div></div>

That is a beautiful rifle! Cerekote OD Green?

Go with a Edge stock from MCM, fluted Med Palma barrel and Seekins Precision WSM DBM. Should make for a nice hunter/precision stick.

The Nicest 7wsm I've played with is JCH's from here on the hide. His is a 22" Rem Varmint contour in an A5 running Badger M5.

He's running 3125fps with moly'd 162Amax's over R-17. The Vais Brake sucks up the recoil and the rifle is a joy to shoot.

Stock choice is a personal thing, but I'd greedily pay double for an A5 than to run an HTG that was free. The HTG just doesn't cut it for me.

Had an HTG a while back,took it out of the box,played with it for a few days and put it up for sale on the hide.So as said before,Try them before you buy them.Quality does not make them fit you better,only you can call that one...

Thank you so much for the help. I see a few definite changes. I was looking at a #7 Contour. I really like the Bartlein barrels. I would like to shoot the Amax if possible. I have had good luck with them out of the .308. I have never had a rifle with a break, would you all suggest one for a hunting rifle? I thought of going with a tuned stock trigger or a Jewl.

I would go McMillan A3-5 It uses the rear of the A5, but is much smaller forearm Hence the A3 fore arm.
SALEITEMS018.jpg

I would go seekins bottom metal. Jewel bottom safety trigger. I would go stiller predator action. or you could buy this starter kit and just add barrel
wsmsetup1.jpg

no bigger than a remmy varmit on the barrel, jewel , htg is not my cup of tea. my rifle is 10.5 pds all up.
JCH used same blue print on is 7WSM kinda add a brake and a heavier stock [ adjustable]... but you get the picture will do both HUNT and PLAY...

234ai044.jpg

IF THIS IS GOING TO BE A CARRY RIFLE, THERE IS NO NEED TO GO OVER A #5 KRIEGER CONTOUR. MORE THAN STIFF ENOUGH BARREL FOR LONGRANGE ACCURACY.
I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE A3-5 THAT THUNDERBOLT POSTED.
ALSO FOR A HUNTING RIFLE, I WOULD GO BDL OR ADL.

Only thing that I would change would be the action ,go with a Borden Alpinemag action that is designed around the shortmags,I think your accuracy will be better and more consistant,the port is longer,it is ready to accept a wyatts magazine,better fire control system,and a .062 firing pin are all benefits,good luck on your new build!!