• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7WSM in short action?

gyr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2006
EU
I would appreciate experiences with a 7 wsm in a short action, using some of the available extended magazines.

Will it fit it bullets like the 162 amax., 168 or 180 bergers allowing still for good case capacity?

And a 284 win?

Thanks.

Re: 7WSM in short action?

I had a modified AI mag before the Accurate mags were around, it worked just fine for the 180 bergers in the 7WSM.

Thanks.

What speeds did you get and what barrel length?did you notice any disadvantadge from a performance POV in a short action?

24" and too many years ago to remember the rest. I really like it though.....then I sold it
smile.gif

the 180 vlds can work fine in a short action with modified aics magazines and an oal of 2.94". they will work even better with one of the new longer magazine systems or a long action.

edit: the 2.94" load was in a friends 7wsm with a 28" barrel. i believe he was getting around 2900+ fps with a 180 vld. i couldn't tell you the actual load though.

Mines on a SA. COAL is 2.960 out of modified AICS mags. Have used 180gr Bergers, JLKs, 162gr AMAX and 175gr SMK, all of them will shoot fine out of a SA and can get the speed I was after. 2950+ out of the 180s and 3100+ out of the 162s. You can get more speed and flexibility with the OAL with a LA but most people that I know of still run it in a SA.

My 7WSM is in a short action, I use the Seekins WSM mag system which has a internal OAL of 3.165" I seat the 162 A-MAX at 3.118" OAL, just kissing the lands. Im getting 3150fps out of a 28" 1/8.7 twist barrel.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Thinking about a future rifle build, and the short action is a nice approach for the 7wsm.
Bacarrat, I reckon your speeds were from a + 26 " barrel?

26. Most people are going to be around 24-28" barrels.

At the rate that a 7WSM burns through the throat of a barrel, I would recommend going 2" longer than what you want so you will have room for a 2" setback.

Pretty solid advice. From what I've read you should set back before accuracy wanes. At least that what some of the 6.5x284 shooters do.