• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7wsm load development

RayDog

Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2001
Fort Collins, CO
I made it out to test some loads with the new 7wsm Surgeon built by GAP.
This is going to be one sick stick once load development is done.
When I first got the gun from George I tried some of the Corbon loaded 7wsm stuff and some hand rolled stuff with 64 grains of 4831sc with 215M and Winchester primers. I had vertical dispersion with the 215s but the Winchesters were pretty good at about .5 MOA ish. But both were pretty slow. Now that gun is back from paint I tested RL17 today. I went with 61 and 61.5 grains with both 215M and Winchester primers today.
The wind didn’t help much today as it was moving my target around but I think I got some good data to move forward with. It just seems like RL17 works in this 61-61.5 range in my gun with either primer. Here are the groups I shot. All groups were off a bipod with a rear bag used off the ground shot over an Ohler 35p.
7targets1.jpg

Top target is only 3 rounds and was right before wind picked up a bit so the target was stable.
As you can see 61 RL17 215M for .26. I know it’s only 3.

Middle target was 61.5 Rl17 with 215M. Letoffs felt good but target was tilting back a little every now and then due to wind. Still .75 with 3 into one ragged hole with one a little high and one low. I don’t think it was me so this looked pretty good too at 2980

Bottom target 61 RL17 with a Winchester large. Same dam thing with the wind but .66 doesn’t suck

7targets2.jpg

Top target looks pretty good. 4 into one then one off to the right. Must have been me. 2983 makes me smile at .46.

Middle target. I got two shots off then the wind blew the target over backwards. I went out and reset it. I was walking out after each group to write down what load it was on the target.When I went out after the last three the target was canted (not square to me). I don’t know if that’s why there are 4 shots on the same horizontal line like that. On the first target they were one hole. Looks like this load wants to shoot. I noticed that the second time through each load they got a little faster. I think the chrono tilted a little in the wind. I had to readjust it a few times due to the wind. I found a spot it liked so I left it but rod holding the screens wasn’t perfectly level. (For those of you that don’t understand the wind in WY and Northern CO all I can say is come and check it out).
Group was .69 chrono said 2980

Bottom target was 61.5 Rl17 with 215s again. What can I say. Vertical. Dam wind. I was trying to shoot when it was at a lull but it’s hard. I’m not a group type of guy. I only do this every now and then to test loads.
I have a new prototype 260 I’ll be testing soon so I’ll get more practice at this small group stuff.

7targets3.jpg

Top target
I got off one round and the target fell over again. Got off 2 more and it twisted a bit on me. Overall not bad all things considered

Middle tareget
Once again the combo of 61.5 Rl17 with the Winchester primer puts 4 into one ragged hole with one getting away as the wind just wanted to fuck with me a bit letting up right when I let off the shot standing the target up just a bit.
This load is looking pretty good to me.
The hole at 7 is from my 308. I was shooting at target below but my pitbull Patches decided it was time to lay down next to dad. She’s 85lbs and when she dove in next to me I pulled the shot a bit high. I think she loves the fact I shoot suppressed more than anyone. She just sits there watching me waiting to go check the targets.

If you watch this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnAkfSl0ILk&feature=related
you can see Patch sitting under the tailgate of my truck waiting for us to go repaint the steel

Anyway I think I’m close to having a load worked out. Lets see how the wind treats me tomorrow. Now I have to go load some rounds

Re: 7wsm load development

Man...Looks like good shooting to me. Are you using 180 VLD's? WLR or WLRM? Lastly, COAL?
I just happened to pick up a 5 lb. jug of 17 along with a new GAP 7 wsm......You're giving me a few ideas.

Thanks

Berger 180 VLDs WLR. I might try some 210 match also. I tried the WLR cause that what it looks like Corbon used in the load I bought. I think George said to try them also.

A slower powder like MagPro or RL22 with large rifle primers will make it even better. That powder is too fast for hot weather.

RayDog,
Thanks.

jeffbird,
I'm in the pacific northwest. Summer temps won't show around here until the third or forth week of July and those temps are no where near what you guys get. But I've got a few pounds of H4831SC just in case.