• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7WSM neck Dia.

ViperACR

Private
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I need to know what the neck diameter is for the 7WSM I need to order a bushing or two and I dont have any rounds to measure. Please help I need to order soon to get in time for a match.

Re: 7WSM neck Dia.

Winchester brass loaded with 160 gr Partition has a Neck Dia of .314!

Only you can answer that,you need to measure a loaded round,with the same bullet you intend to use.Brass neck thickness varies quite a bit from lot to lot.If you are going to use a bushing die,you need to turn all your necks down to the same size,or your neck tension will vary.The problem with bushing dies,is they shove all the imperfections to the inside of the case neck,which affects tension,that's why turning necks is very important with those kinds of dies.

I just finished match preping 100 new WIN 7WSM brass (not like there is anything other than Win available) and I agree that neck turning is a must if you are going to neck size. The necks on these things were horrible! one side was so much thicker than the other on all of these that I was glad I had invested in a neck turning tool.

I used a K&M expanding mandrel to move all of the imperfections to the outside of the necks and turned them away with the Pumpkin.

Also, primer pockets and flash holes were off too. All I can say is, I wish either Lapua or Norma will start making 7WSM brass soon, all this brass prep is killing me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished match preping 100 new WIN 7WSM brass (not like there is anything other than Win available) and I agree that neck turning is a must if you are going to neck size. The necks on these things were horrible! one side was so much thicker than the other on all of these that I was glad I had invested in a neck turning tool.

I used a K&M expanding mandrel to move all of the imperfections to the outside of the necks and turned them away with the Pumpkin.

Also, primer pockets and flash holes were off too. All I can say is, I wish either Lapua or Norma will start making 7WSM brass soon, all this brass prep is killing me.</div></div>

I'm with you all the way on that, but I wont be holding my breath.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished match preping 100 new WIN 7WSM brass (not like there is anything other than Win available) and I agree that neck turning is a must if you are going to neck size. The necks on these things were horrible! one side was so much thicker than the other on all of these that I was glad I had invested in a neck turning tool.

Also, primer pockets and flash holes were off too. All I can say is, I wish either Lapua or Norma will start making 7WSM brass soon, all this brass prep is killing me. </div></div>

Since you are going through the trouble to fully prep the 7wsm brass, can you do an experiment and try some side by side comparisions of fully prepped brass v. out of the box? I'm doing everything but the flash holes and neck turning and I'd like to see exactly what all this work buys us.

Thanks.

You can use 300WSM brass,I am not sure of the steps you have to take,but my smith told me it can be done.I am not sure who makes brass for the 300WSM,but it might give you some more options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished match preping 100 new WIN 7WSM brass (not like there is anything other than Win available) and I agree that neck turning is a must if you are going to neck size. The necks on these things were horrible! one side was so much thicker than the other on all of these that I was glad I had invested in a neck turning tool.

Also, primer pockets and flash holes were off too. All I can say is, I wish either Lapua or Norma will start making 7WSM brass soon, all this brass prep is killing me. </div></div>

Since you are going through the trouble to fully prep the 7wsm brass, can you do an experiment and try some side by side comparisions of fully prepped brass v. out of the box? I'm doing everything but the flash holes and neck turning and I'd like to see exactly what all this work buys us.

Thanks. </div></div>

Ide love to, but I have already prepped all of my WSM brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can use 300WSM brass,I am not sure of the steps you have to take,but my smith told me it can be done.I am not sure who makes brass for the 300WSM,but it might give you some more options. </div></div>

Norma makes 300WSM brass, and you can full length size the brass with a 7WSM sizer, and fireform it to 7WSM, but prepped Win brass will be just as good for a fraction of the cost.

You will still need to neck turn the fireformed 300WSM brass because the neck is going to be too thick, so not worth it to me.

Plus Ide rather spend time prepping my brass than fireforming.

I agree,I just use Win. brass,it shoots fine for me.Have you ever checked the neck runout on a piece of winchester virgin brass?It's horrible!Luckily it straightens out once you fire it.Just curious,what bullet are you guy's shooting,and what kind of velocity are you getting?
I am shooting a 162gr. Amax ,with 68.7gr. H1000 @ 3030 fps.

With 180 Bergers I use a .312 bushing if I'm remembering correctly. I'm with yall on the Norma brass deal. Why do they make 270wsm brass and no 7wsm? This is an awesome cartridge with only junk brass available. When I first started loading for 7wsm, I was completely puzzled as to why I had such runout (sometimes .006-.009). I tried neck turning and everything I knew with only minor improvement. I finally figured out the necks were that bad crooked coming out of the shoulder and that it took firing once to correct some of the runout. Funny thing is that the gun shoots these crooked loads as good (or very close) to the later loads.

If you were to full length size these before starting other brass prep, i think it will reduce the runout quite a bit, then most of the left over runout will go away when you fireform the brass.

As far as neck turning, I wouldnt dream of firing these fucked up sorry excuses for brass without a full match prep. Im just glad I use Lapua .308 ammo and dont have to deal with this shit with my .308 rounds.

I wonder how many phone calls it would take to bug Lapua enough to give into making 7WSM brass...... I already send them 2 e-mails with different e-mail accounts per week
laugh.gif

I probaly should full length size first, but the rifle shoots .25-.5 moa without, and I hate brass prep so I probaly will not. I talked to one of the Sinclair guys, he said runout from my circumstance would not hurt accuracy-that the brass would expand and correct excessive runout before bullet release. Makes sense to me and my experience proves so.

I had a 338 lapua built over a year ago and ever since using that Lapua brass for the first time, I will most likely never build a rifle again unless lapua makes brass for it.

I sent several emails to both lapua and Norma requesting 7wsm brass. Lapua responded with no plans for it and Norma never responded.

At least you got a response from Lapua! As for NORMA, WTF are they thinking? 300WSM, 270WSM, but no 7?