• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7wsm on rem 700 la, what mag?

SilencercoJames

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 30, 2008
kearns, ut, 84118
As the title says, I am currently building a 7/300wsm on a rem700 long action. It will be in a XLR stock so I will be using AI mags. My question is will they fit and run in the 300wm mags?

Re: 7wsm on rem 700 la, what mag?

I think the regular 7mm rem mag is a better bet for the long action. The short magnums were made for short action.

Wsm is pretty handicapped on a short action. Just like the .284. Don't like belts. And the smith had the reamer. I have some buddies that built them on sako med actions and I am totally impressed. So those are my reasons. Now back to the question.

I don't see why a regular 300wm ai mag wouldn't work with a wsm. You may have to mess with the feed lips a little, but surely won't have any problems with length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impulse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wsm is pretty handicapped on a short action. Just like the .284. Don't like belts. And the smith had the reamer. I have some buddies that built them on sako med actions and I am totally impressed. So those are my reasons. Now back to the question. </div></div>

How so? I am willing to bet most 7WSMs are built on short actions and they seem to perform well. I can get over 3000 FPS with the 180s with great accuracy out of a short action WSM. It's proven to work. The only thing the long actions let you do is to seat the bullets out further. And that doesn't always mean you can push them faster and have better accuracy.

To answer your question.

The 338 Lapua mags are what you want. They will work

The parts for my 7/300 is sitting at American Precision Arms. I am running Surgeon DBM with 338 mags.

Sounds like a cool build!

Yes a 300 wm AI mag will work but some say you have to modify them just a little.

I run straight 338 AI mags with my 7/300 wsm that I have in the FS section right now and it feeds great with no mods what so ever. Used 180 hybrids, 180 SMK's, 162 amaxs, and even a few 120 Nosler BT as varmint loads. They all feed fine from these mags.

338 lapua mags. Tried to run the win mag magazines on my 7mm saum. Web area of case kept hanging on the rear internal ribs of magazine. Went to 338 mags, problem solved.

I run a 300WSM on a Rem 700 long action. I think a WSM on a short action being a repeater is a joke. Long throat it for 210gr or 230gr Bergers and don`t look back. My rifle was a factory 7mm Rem Mag.

Clone worthy
It's been bugging me.I believe you said they were 7mm
What is the round in your pic with the nosler guide
3rd from the right looks like a weatherby but no belt?
Awesome pic's by the way...