• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7WSM twist rate

hombre

Team S.W.A.G
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
ga, jackson lake
Does anybody know if you could run a 180vld in a 1 in 9 1/4 twist 26" or does it need to be a little faster.

Thanks
Hombre

Re: 7WSM twist rate

Thhinking about getting a rem 700 sps and rechambering it to a 7wsm for a hunting rig and not sure if I should go with a la or sa.
Pro's and Con's would help

Thanks in advance
Hombre

Hunting I would roll with a short action.

Target shooting i would go with a Long action and custom chamber to seat the bullets long and be able to chase the throat.
If you seat the bullets out long in a short action you can't eject a loaded round once its in the bolt.
http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html
Check out this link...Lots of 7mm info

9 is the slowest twist that I've seen guys successfully stabilize those long 7mm ICBM's. My factory 7 SAUM tube runs a 1:9 and Rem claims you can shoot 180's through it, but I've never gone past 162's.

Rock Creek said to go with 1/8.7 twist to make sure it stabilizes the 180s and not be on the border. So I did, and it works great.