• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7x57 cock on close mauser

boomdoggie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2011
Texas
I have an sporterized small ring (I think) mauser. the receiver has been ground so there is no markings, I know it is cock on close and it is 7x57. With this info can anyone give me an Idea of what it is and what should I rebarrel it to.
Thanks

Re: 7x57 cock on close mauser

Sir,
Your rifle is most likley a 91/93 Sweedish Mauser. They are chambered in 6.5x55. Normally exhibit excellent workmanship, but have some poor features. One, you have discovered. Another is only two lugs, no saftey lug. Normally they are very slick in operation. Most do not choose to re barrel them. Many shoot them as is and get good accuracy. Normally not considered worth the work to re barrel.
Richard

The Spanish 1893 was in 7mm. There are a couple of other South American countries that used 7mm also. It could have been any one of these originaly.
If the rifling is in good shape, leave it in 7mm. Its a fine round for hunting. If the bore is bad, then you can rebarrel to rounds like .257 Roberts. You need to keep it in that preasure range. Rounds like .308 ect, have too much presure for this action. I built one on a 93 in 257 Roberts several years ago. Back when these were less than $100 rifle. Mine had been "upgraded" to .308. I didn't consider it safe so re-barreled it.

OP, be best to post pics of the receiver (especially the left side for a gas port), the bolt, the rear sight (if it has one). Cock on close in 7x57 I am with n6 in thinking it is a Spanish.

Now is the barrel a military stepped, or is it an aftermarket. 7x57 is a very fine flat shooting cartridge. I have a few South American s in 7x57 and a custom scout in 7x57. My Spanish is chambered in 250/3000. Fun round, but the 257 Bob has more cajones.

It could also be a Carl Gustaf 96. I had one that had been rebarreled to 30-06 and sporterized. That rifle was cock on close as well.

30-06 on that action is a time bomb, It was not made for 50,000 CUP. They are made for 40=45,000 CUP. That is why Mauser came out with the 98 action, to take the higher pressures.

it is for sure a shot out 7x57. I think I will rebarrel it in 257 roberts. I have shot many round though my grandfather model 70 in that caliber. Now I just need to fix the damn cock on close problem.

If you are referring to the problem, as in, you don't like it. I would not invest in a cock on open kit. They can be expensive and unreliable. This is that point where you have to decide how far you are willing to take this build.

Mausers can sneak up in price, you start with the idea of a quick inexpensive build, next thing you know you have $700 or more into it. Like the old saying goes, $700 to build a $300 rifle. The only benefit is the rifle will be built like you want it.

If you have your heart set on a Mauser you can always sell that one and then pick up a donor 98 large ring action, the Vz-24 are solid actions and can be had for around $100.

If you want a complete Mauser hunting rifle, you can pick up the Zastava mini Mauser or M70 via Century arms. I think they go for cheaper than a Remmy SPS http://www.centuryarms.com/

or buy a Howa 1500 action. Every thing is already done and ready for a barrel or get a barreled action in the caliber you want.

If it is originally barreled in 7x57 Mauser, it most likely a 1893 Spanish or 1895 Chilean Mauser. Both were heavily imported and the Chilean is still very common. These actions were designed for lower pressure rounds. 7x57 is still a great round or 6.5x55 would be a great choice Making this into a nice custom rifle will cost you well north of $1000. Good Luck

Despite anecdotal evidence or testimonials panning the cock on close type of action I disagree. I have three rifles that cock on close, a small ring Mauser, a SMLE R1 MkIII, and a Savage 99. all are safe and reliable. Additionally, over the years I have paid close attention to various write-ups on the topic and have yet to find anyone that can show through empirical evidence that there is any inherent safety issue. So enjoy your rifle and good shooting.

On the SMLE, it is one of the fastest, if not thhe fastest bolt action there is. The Brits could cycle the action so fast, the Germans thought they were going against machine guns. Another advantage of the SMLE was the short bolt through due to the rear locking lugs. This allows cycling the bolt while the rifle is still on your shoulder.
These are safe to shoot as long as you keep them in the proper preasure range. I belive it was Hatcher that conducted tests on various rifles to see when they would blow up. Using factory ammo, you will do fine. If you re-load, then follow the manuals. If you re-barrel, stay with-in the same cartridge type.

I've never understood why people say 'cock-on-close' actions are a problem. They are less of a problem than 'cock-on-open' actions. And, I've never heard of them being a safety factor. Because, the Swedes, British, Mexicans and even us Americans using one form or another of a bolt action military rifle would have had to quit using them for safety reasons. We didn't stop using them, so I'm thinking they are completely safe.

That said, without markings and a full description of identifying features we can only guess at which rifle you have. There are only a few suspect versions of the Mauser out there, but they are numerous enough that it is wise to find what you have to be able to take advantage of that actions strength. A .257 Roberts on a Mauser Action is always a joy to shoot. IMO, so is a 7x57. Nothing on the market for either is all that hot. You can load either relatively hot, but the cases will fail long before the action will fail. Both can get you a long way's out there. Unlike the 6.5x55, you won't need to ream out the bolt face. Just re-barrel and go.

Reactions: VirgilB

They are safe when you chamber for the corret preasure cartridge. Germany went to the 98 action for a reason. One thing not brought up is the bolt helping deflect gasses after a cartridge does fail. The 98 will deflect the gas away frome the shooter beter than the 93/95 style action. The addition of the third lug will stop it from coming back at you, if the lugs fail. As long as you stay in the proper CPU scale, it is a safe action. Most gunsmith builders know this. People who have not read Hatcher's book or have been schooled in gunsmithing can end up with a time bomb on their sholder. I like the Roberts in these actions. They are a pleasure to shoot and with a good quality barrel, very accurate.
Excuse the spelling, I had a stroke two years ago, and can no longer spell worth a dang. Spelling is getting better, the more I type. It's like going to Grade school, all over again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are safe when you chamber for the correct preasure cartridge. Germany went to the 98 action for a reason. One thing not brought up is the bolt helping deflect gasses after a cartridge does fail. The 98 will deflect the gas away frome the shooter beter than the 93/95 style action. The addition of the third lug will stop it from coming back at you, if the lugs fail. As long as you stay in the proper CPU scale, it is a safe action. Most gunsmith builders know this. People who have not read Hatcher's book or have been schooled in gunsmithing can end up with a time bomb on their sholder. I like the Roberts in these actions. They are a pleasure to shoot and with a good quality barrel, very accurate.
Excuse the spelling, I had a stroke two years ago, and can no longer spell worth a dang. Spelling is getting better, the more I type. It's like going to Grade school, all over again.</div></div>

Sorry to hear about your condition. It's tough coming back from a stroke. So, spelling isn't a problem. I am glad you choose to continue to shoot!
wink.gif
grin.gif
But, I will say Old Mausers are a lot stronger than people give them credit for. The cock on open does give some 'leverage' for extracting a case that was loaded too hot. As far as the gas sheild it wasn't really a model 98 thing as it was just re-designing the shroud. That said, you are right, 98's come with shrouds that act as better gas sheilds than previous models that don't. Back to the strength thing again, I've 7.65x63's (original barrel, 30-06 case) based on the Argentino 1891. And they were loaded up to the full power of a 30-06. On many of the pre-98 Mausers the bolt knob resting behind a stub is the extra safety. The only one I've ever personally known to come apart was a Spanish 1916 that started life as a '93 and got refurbed twice after that, the second time into .308. A very hot overload cracked the forward ring open and spit the barrel forward. Somebody between 1916 and about 1960 improperly re-heat treated the receiver was the best I could figure. I knew it wasn't a plugged barrel as there was no splitting of the barrel.
Anyhow, I started out not trusting old Mausers at all. My Dad didn't know $#! from shineola about them, but he always talked like the Germans didn't know how to make good steel. I was supposed to stick to buying new Remington 700's as they were 'the best'. Or a Winchester if I could afford one. Years after I left home I got a much better education on Mauser rifles and just how good 99% of them really are. So, I bought up all the cheap (but good) one's I could and here they sit in my collection waiting their turn to get finished up.

BTW, today I was shooting my 1909 Argentino in .257 Roberts. I was shooting 115 RBBT's in front of 46 gr. of H4831sc. It took 10 MOA to get to 500 yds. and 17 MOA to get them to 700 yds. I like the cartridge a lot also.

Last edited:

I have have a VZ-24 barreled in 25-06, a 1917 Enfiels in
25-06 and a Spanish Mauser that was .308, I rebarreled to .257 Roberts. All of these were done back when it was cheep to do. I also have a Howa 1500 action to instal a barrel in. And a Mini-Mauser I barreled in .223 using a .220 Swift take-off barrel. That one and the Mauser 25-06 are sub-moa rifles. The 25-06 could hit the primer of a shotgun shell at 100yrda 4 out of 5 shots. The othere one hit the case, but not the primer. The .223 would put 4 out of 5 in a 1/4" at 300yrds with the cold bore first shot 1" high. This was in my younger days when I had 20-10 vision. What people don't seam to realize is the Mauser is the father of all the newer designs. All the rest have faded away. Save for some .22lrs using rear locking lugs. Some have taken the design a bit further with the multiple locking lugs. But they are still the Mauser consept

cock on close. I don't like cutting into the bolt body. I tried that with the Spanish Mauser and ended up with a new bolt. Didn't like how it turned out. They are what they are. I don't mind how they work. I have over 50 rifles, from custom to .22 Trainers with their parent rifle for most. Rarest would be the 1952 Belgian ABL .22lr trainer and the 30-06 Belgian rifle that goes with it.

026.jpg

For a stalking rifle a cock on close Mauser action is very quite to cycle . Much quieter than a Mod 98 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a stalking rifle a cock on close Mauser action is very quite to cycle . Much quieter than a Mod 98 action. </div></div>

How so? I would think the best action for quietness would be a break-action, like a Thompson Center. Not at all fast though if you need it.

Re: 7x57 cock on close Mauser

I never said it was the quietest of " all actions "
I said quieter compared to a cock on open Mauser 98, that's all.

Re: 7x57 cock on close Mauser

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never said it was the quietest of " all actions "
I said quieter compared to a cock on open Mauser 98, that's all.

</div></div>

The opening of the bolt is sure quieter. Then again it never hurts to have those nice warm fleece gloves on when hunting, so you can lay your fingers on the case being chambered. That kills a lot of sound.
grin.gif