• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 8-40 scope base hole is stripped. Now what?

What about drilling out and putting an 8-36 thread insert in it, and getting 8-36 screws for it?

Drill them all out to 10-32

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I think Brownells sells "over sized screws" for this reason.
Other than that you may be able to make an thread plug to fix it but its gonna be noticed if their is not a base on it

The threaded plug is what I believe is going to be the right fix but it certainly will stand out on top[ of the brand new rifle. I was hoping someone maybe had good luck casting threads with titanium epoxy or something like that.

I don't know why I feel so bad about it. The owner Effed it up. If cost was no object I would weld an oversized screw in it, remill and tap a new set of 8-40 threads in there. Then refinish the receiver. You would never know it happened but that is going to cost him. He has a $50 budget.

You can't fix that f up as it should be for 50 bucks - you've already used up that trying to figure it out. It's the customers problem and he thinks he's entitled to someone else to fix it for $50?

Call him and tell him to come get it. I hate to be a hard ass, but are you running a business or not? Why do people expect gunsmiths to work for nothing, but are OK with a garage putting a flunkie kid mechanic to work on their $50K truck?

You can't fix that f up as it should be for 50 bucks - you've already used up that trying to figure it out. It's the customers problem and he thinks he's entitled to someone else to fix it for $50?

Call him and tell him to come get it. I hate to be a hard ass, but are you running a business or not? Why do people expect gunsmiths to work for nothing, but are OK with a garage putting a flunkie kid mechanic to work on their $50K truck?
just so you all can read this again

you can't fix that f up as it should be for 50 bucks - you've already used up that trying to figure it out. It's the customers problem and he thinks he's entitled to someone else to fix it for $50?

Call him and tell him to come get it. I hate to be a hard ass, but are you running a business or not? Why do people expect gunsmiths to work for nothing, but are ok with a garage putting a flunkie kid mechanic to work on their $50k truck?

Never a truer statement on this site!

learn the word "no"!

I know. I get sucked into losers like this a least once a year. Once in awhile I get lucky and it's an easy $50. This one was not lucky. Besides having to fully disassemble the 1895, the old screw was at least 4 threads below grade and he had already dilled the top of the screw off center to oblivion. It was microsurgery milling the old screw out and then trying to get the remains out of the threads. An 8-40 still has some grip but it's loose and wobbly. I'm certain it will not hold torqueing up to 22 inch pounds. I can't leave him halfway. I'll let you know when I get done taking my beating on it.

Is he hard up for cash or just a cheap dumbass? If he's hard up for cash right now, make him an old world deal. Take the $50 bucks now, and tell him to bring buy some of his wife's tamales or pot pies or whatever the next couple months. Food is so damn expensive these days, that having a few dinners that you don't have to cook would be a nice feature. Especially after a long day in the shop.

If he's a cheap s.o.b, cut him loose. Life is harder if your brain doesn't work right

Let me guess, he effed up the screw, installing the scope, that he was too cheap to pay you to install originally?

Now he is telling you how much it is worth to him to have you fix it?

See previous comments about cutting him loose - some customers, you just can not afford.

is this a one piece mount? add another mount hole to the mount and drill and tap an extra
hole in the action. You can plug the other hole or just put the screw in it and locktite it in. The new hole
will be what holds the base on. Brownells sells flister and weaver cutters for the screw heads. It will look
good and most won't know it is an extra hole. When he takes the base off, he just puts filler screws in all the holes.