• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

8.6 blk gorilla 210gr chambering issue

Dave__th3__ss

Ammo prep guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
My reloading room
Recently finished my 8.6blk build. Faxon 16” barrel, ballistic advantage bcg for internals.
Aero user and lower.
Head space checked out and everything went together like every other AR I’ve built.
So I proceeded to go to the range. Went to chamber a gorilla 210 gr round and it felt funny.
So i looked at the bolt and it wasn’t all the way forward. Tried to forward assist … nothing.

I pulled the charging handle and the case ejected throwing powder every where. Bullet was lodged in the lands.

I say it’s a bullet issue or barrel issue. Either the throat on the faxon barrel is to
Short or the bullet seating depth is too long.
The COAL is what faxon reload info says it should be.

I reached out to faxon and they said it’s a brass issue with gorilla. Which doesn’t make sense. if it was brass issue then why would my bullet be making it all the way to the lands?
They also offered to send me a return shipping label to have the barrel checked.
Pisses me off that it’s a waiting game again to shoot this.

I’ve marked a few bullets up with sharpie. They all come back with the barrel rifling scuffed out of the marker.

Which leads me to think the barrel has a short throat.

A few guys have said just seat gorillas ammo deeper. Not really a fan of doing that and having a rifle explode in my face.

What do y’all think?

Attachments

• IMG_9146.jpeg
    IMG_9146.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 43
Buddy and I both have 12" Faxon 8.6 big gunner barrels and neither of us can chamber rounds consistently, factory loads or otherwise. We tried everything but the projectile is jamming where the lands start at the lip they put in there and wont go past it. It forms a ring around the projectiles circumference in the sharpie test. We are using 300gr sierra subsonic rounds. Everything fits perfect in our case gauge. We've necked the rounds, tried shorter COAL (all the way to 2.59) and nothing seems to work. I think the Faxon barrels dont have enough throat. We are waiting for Faxon to contact us back so we can send them in. Guess they made these on a Friday.

Buddy and I both have 12" Faxon 8.6 big gunner barrels and neither of us can chamber rounds consistently, factory loads or otherwise. We tried everything but the projectile is jamming where the lands start at the lip they put in there and wont go past it. It forms a ring around the projectiles circumference in the sharpie test. We are using 300gr sierra subsonic rounds. Everything fits perfect in our case gauge. We've necked the rounds, tried shorter COAL (all the way to 2.59) and nothing seems to work. I think the Faxon barrels dont have enough throat. We are waiting for Faxon to contact us back so we can send them in. Guess they made these on a Friday.
Faxon did end up swapping my barrel out for a new one. Which did chamber. But the feed ramps are still sharp as hell and had to be polished .

Faxon will make shit right that’s for sure

They finally got back to us and told us to send them in. I wonder if they have a batch of barrels out there that arent throated properly?

Waiting on the suppressor stamp for my 8.6 build. This thread is making me buy a box of Gorilla ammo just to see if my chamber will seat a factory load.

Last edited:
The ease with which the bullet was unseated from the case by simply pulling the charging handle back is a concerning issue. Even if the bullet was jammed, it should not have been so easy to remove the case from it. Whenever I have had a jammed cartridge, especially one that was chambered via spring power from the buffer, the rifle had to be mortared a few times. Only then did the bolt/extractor be able to jerk the case off of the bullet. The case should not have been able to be pulled from a jammed bullet with the simple motion of pulling the charging handle. I am just basing this off you simply saying that you pulled the charging handle back and it ejected the case minus the stuck bullet. Disregard if you had to fight it.

Ours would get stuck but not pull the round out of the brass. We'd definitely have to fight the charging handle/hammer the stock on the ground to get it to free up. I'll be curious as to what faxon finds but I think it's just not open enough for it to chamber and not jam.