• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 8 mils wind left enough???

Grump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2008
So. Utah
I'm not shooting a conventional bolt gun with round-top receiver, so "fit" is pretty much a bolt it on and see what you get thing.

My scope has 26 mils of reliable travel--about .7 "ghost" mils of no-travel clicks all the way left ("in"), and a ridiculous 7.5 mils of phantom clicks after the reticle stops moving in the correction "right" direction. The actual zero is 5 mils of right clicks from the mechanical zero.

So, I have 8 mils left to go right. Is that enough? JBM says I can correct for a bit more than 30 mph wind with my loads at 1,000 yards. At 1,000 meters, one load would need about .5 mil holdover.

My shooting sites have included Boulder City, NV, Desert Sportsman west of LV, Washoe County Regional north of Reno, and I might do the ranges in Price UT, Phoenix AZ, or Bendover UT/NV in the next year or whatever.

Washoe County has been the windiest *while I've been shooting*. You know it's bad when your tight prone position gets blown to the edge of the bull, and bb-size sand/rocks are pelting you in the side of the face. I was shooting highpower that day, so all I did was chase the spotter. 600-yard was no problem.

Re: 8 mils wind left enough???

If your scope adjusts in mils, it's probably also got a mil reticle. Don't forget that you can hold wind using the reticle, too.

With your load, if 8 mils will handle 30 mph full-value wind, then you can hold another almost another 20 mph of wind at 1000 by holding the reticle using 5 mils of marks.

If you're contemplating shooting 1000 yards in 50 mph winds, I recommend instead you retreat to the nearest bar, and drink.
laugh.gif