• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

80% jig and tooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tillroot1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2004
California
I am wondering if I could get any opinions on buying a jig and tooling for AR15 80% lowers? I do not have a drill press and would be using a router and hand drill. I am totally new to this and dont want to buy several times to get things right. What works and is user friendly? Thanks for any help with making a decision what and where to buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: The D
Never seen it done with a hand drill only. Closest thing i can think of would be a jig for a router. Those look like they work well enough. Even a drill press isnt ideal. Ive smoked bearings in a drill press after only a few.

Reactions: tillroot1
i modified my original post to include router, as I said, I am new to this. just looking for help.

Last edited:
I have the gen 1 jig, I do have a drill press, the milling was easy if you have any routing experience and go slow, follow their instructions. Can be drilled with hand drill but I'd at least try to find someone to take it to. The 3/8 holes to start the milling is fine to hand drill, pin holes I'd question. Good luck

80% Arms Easy jig 3. https://www.80percentarms.com/ - used their gen 1 jig, pretty easy. Gen 3 is supposed to be better and does AR15, AR308 and AR9s

5D Tactical jig - https://www.5dtactical.com/multiplatform-80-lower-jig-p/40105-mp.htm - never tried this one.

Both require a hand drill (drill press preferred) and a router (mill preferred).

Follow the instructional video and go slow (most important), vacuum the chips often, use cutting fluid.

Both of these work. The 5D tactical is better. You can use a hand drill for the pilot hole(s) but you need a to mill out the rest.

I have done many on a drill press with an 80lower plastic jig. Also have a Juggernaut Tactical jig, that works better.

Be aware that some jigs may only PROPERLY fit lowers made by that company. 5d is a perfect example; raw lower felt good in the hand, looks great, and is definitely beefy, but the way they machine some of the exterior features, it won't fit in some other jigs. Poverty pony 80's didn't like to fit the JT, until a little filing occurred. Just the way the JT is made for their lowers.

80% Arms Easy jig 3. https://www.80percentarms.com/ - used their gen 1 jig, pretty easy. Gen 3 is supposed to be better and does AR15, AR308 and AR9s

5D Tactical jig - https://www.5dtactical.com/multiplatform-80-lower-jig-p/40105-mp.htm - never tried this one.

Both require a hand drill (drill press preferred) and a router (mill preferred).

Follow the instructional video and go slow (most important), vacuum the chips often, use cutting fluid.
80% stole the design from 5D Tactical.

I am wondering if I could get any opinions on buying a jig and tooling for AR15 80% lowers? I do not have a drill press and would be using a router and hand drill. I am totally new to this and dont want to buy several times to get things right. What works and is user friendly? Thanks for any help with making a decision what and where to buy.

if you use a hand drill, you're very likely to waller out the bushings for the safety selector hole, especially the right side. if you're only going to do one lower with your jig, maybe that's okay, but if you want your jig to last more than one lower, you really ought to get a drill press, even a cheap bench-top one will do.

what are the consequences of a wallered-out bushing for the safety selector? your home-made AR will have a wobbly safety selector, sloppy fit. it will still work adequately, SAFE-FIRE, but it will be a POS. just my opinion. You did ask for opinions.

5D Tactical. Dewalt DWP 611 and nothing else. a full can of WD-40. HF foot power switch. shop vac.

i have not seen a lower finished with a drill press or a router that DIDNT look like complete dog ass....

you need a mill drill at the very least.

but when you can buy an Anderson lower for $60, why bother?

i get some people like to do them as a hobby, but if you dont have the proper tools....why waste the money?

as for the "ghots gun" aspect of it.....how exactly is a "ghost gun" any more untraceable than a SN gun?.....unless your state has a registry, no one is going to know where it came from.

I have the easy jig 3 and Dewalt 611. I keep it soaking wet with WD40 and I only advance the depth of cut by half of the recommended depth per pass. I've done many lowers with mine. Not that I give a shit about ghost guns, I like to get custom engraving that I would not otherwise be able to get.

I have the 5d second gen(I think) jig that is all aluminum. The latest gen has a plastic block that attaches to a router. I don’t know if this makes any difference but it sounds better. Depending where you are in WY, I can help you through using mine

I have the 5d second gen(I think) jig that is all aluminum. The latest gen has a plastic block that attaches to a router. I don’t know if this makes any difference but it sounds better. Depending where you are in WY, I can help you through using mine
can you send me the dimensions for the 5D jig parts "H" and "J". Getting what I need to convert the early Pro jig into a multi platform jig to do both the ar-15/ar-10 80%. Missed the final sale date by a day as biden's banning all 80% jigs and parts went into effect late August 22.
So its make my own or acquire those parts from somewhere. Parts J & H secure the lower's front pivot pin and rear buffer tube attachment point inline with the jig. As I am sure you know. thanks

Last edited:

5D is one I have seen used, the lowers worked correctly.

can you send me the dimensions for the 5D jig parts "H" and "J". Getting what I need to convert the early Pro jig into a multi platform jig to do both the ar-15/ar-10 80%. Missed the final sale date by a day as biden's banning all 80% jigs and parts went into effect late August 22.
So its make my own or acquire those parts from somewhere. Parts J & H secure the lower's front pivot pin and rear buffer tube attachment point inline with the jig. As I am sure you know. thanks

What ban?

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98

Hmm you got 4 posts and the name trumpster24 and are asking about measurements to make a 80 jig?

Good jig and the end mill bits are a must. I have these and a Drill Press and good clamping vise you can move on the press plate are also must haves. Little patience goes a long way along with cutting oil .

You will likely need to serialize the lower though per new regs passed

Good jig and the end mill bits are a must. I have these and a Drill Press and good clamping vise you can move on the press plate are also must haves. Little patience goes a long way along with cutting oil .

You will likely need to serialize the lower though per new regs passed

Does that apply to prior made lowers?

Also lots of machine oil

I'm pretty sure (don't quote me) that "PMF" regulations are still the same

They’ll have to look in their “doesn’t exist” database for those receivers..oh wait

And this is further reaffirming why people made 80%s 😂

Also why registration historically leads to confiscation

Sad thing is many private companies keep records on their customers they don’t need to

Status
Not open for further replies.