• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 80% lower with a carbide burr bit?

Redandwhite_72

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2014
Missouri
My brother n law and I are going to do a couple 80% lowers. This will be his first and my second. I have the blue jig. I used a drill press and a 3/8 and 1/4" carbide 2 flute endmill bit on my first one. My brother n law was using a carbide burr bit in a die grinder today on a different project and got to thinking maybe that would work for getting out the majority of the material. Then use the endmill bits to finish.
I said I thought it was a bad idea. Has anyone tried it or what is everyone's thoughts on using a burr bit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Using a milling machine or a hand burr set matters little.
The material needs to be removed & holes drilled accurately.
How that happens depends on your equipment and how much time you have.

Yeah, I guess your right. Do you think the burr set would do it faster in a drill press?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove as much material as possible in the drill press. Use whatever method you are comfortable with to finish it.