• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 800 yards AR-10

natesguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Missouri
Got the chance to shoot to 800 yards today. Here's the list of specs.
Armalite AR-10 T 24inch
Ammo: New Win. Brass with 42.5g of RE-15, bullet 175g sierra hpbt with a velocity of about 2550 (not smokin, but effective)
Scope: NF NXS 3.5-15 Mil/Mil with zero stop and MLR ret.

Wind was about 8 to 10 mph at about a 45 deg, cross wind from right to left.
Target was a 10"wide x 8" tall steel plate. Wish I could say it was 1 shot 1 kill, but that's just not the case. It took about 5 shots to figure things out, but when I did, I hit the plate with 5 consecutive shots. It sure felt good to see the plate swing in the scope about a second after pulling the trigger. Things start to change in a hurry after 600 yards. Great day of shooting, can't wait to shot to a 1000.

Re: 800 yards AR-10

I went to a school where a couple if guys had the same setup but was sent to GAP for accurizing. They were smoking the qual course from 100-800 yards. They were fast on the hostage movers too.

Those "T's" will do it. Will be expanding my 600yrd range to 1K this spring or sooner to push it a bit further. Mine really likes Varget pushing 178 Amax's out of Fed brass.

okie

I've got some varget and 178's as well. I'll load some up and post my results. The best groups I've shot were with 155 scenars using 42g of Reloader 15 and Lake City Long Range Brass. This load gave me 1/2 moa at 100 yards, but I couldn't get this load to chamber consistantly. At least one out of every five rounds would stand up in the mag as it was being chambered and jam. The only conclusion I could come up with was, the bullet was to long and skinny, thus not letting the round make the transition into the chamber. I tried to seat the bullet deeper, longer. I tried several diffrent things with no real fix. Every time I went back to sierras the problem went away. So that's why I use 175's If anyone has any input on why the 155's are giving me problems let me know.

It is awesome to see steel swing at long range. I've done it at 650yds, and have a spot picked out for 800, which I have never attempted. I'm using a logged hillside, and cut two fir poles which I carry down the hill along with a shovel and a piece of 16"x 20" piece of 1/4" steel. Can't wait till I get the 800 set up. Shot two 4" groups and hit a clay pigeon at 500yds yesterday. AR10A4 with a 20" Mike Rock barrel, 175 SMK, 44.3gr RE15. Way too much fun.....

Got bored with My AR10 & finished off the clays at 500 with a RRA National Match service rifle & Burris 3x9 today. Stayed out past dark putting in the 800yd gong. Supposed to rain next weekend, crap. Maybe time to dial in the .300 win mag.

Went out last weekend and shot the 500 yard range. In the damn rain I wanted to see if I could hit the steel with my first shot of the day. (cold bore) at a lower temp. just below 40 deg. Hit the plate!!!!! with the first shot. One shot one dead steel plate. AT 500 yards in the rain. I know, I know, there are many individuals here that can make this shot in their sleep. But it's nice to have a rifle that can make the shot if you do your part. This is my challenge. Next time your at the range. Take 4 rounds and shot at the 5 6 7 and 800 yard targets. One shot at each. (I know this isn't really going to be cold bore shots at each) No practice shots, no warm up. Just throw down, get your scope adjusted, read the wind and let one fly. Report your results. The first one to hit all 4 targets with one shot wins a gold star. (Of corse your on your honor, lying about your shot is like lying about the size of your dick. Great for conversation but just embarssing when you need to prove it)

my 10T pushes 175SMKs at 2710 and is good to 1K easy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate's Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...One shot one dead steel plate. AT 500 yards in the rain... </div></div>

Funny how that makes for a nice evening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 10T pushes 175SMKs at 2710 and is good to 1K easy. </div></div>

Smokin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 10T pushes 175SMKs at 2710 and is good to 1K easy. </div></div>

What's your load? I'm showing pressure signs at 2550.... Does your brass show any major pressure signs at this velocity.

175gr. SMK, RE15-44.4 or 43.7grs.out of a BHs or Win brass with CCI or Fed PRimers.

I use the 43.7 grs. out of my M40A3 at 2670fps for example and use 44.4 out of a 20" AR10 at 2600fps