• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

8208 XBR and 69g Noslers

RadarsRUs

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
East Coast FL
OK, let's see how these 69g puppies fly sitting on top of XBR. Am looking for <span style="font-weight: bold">ONE</span> load to quantity-produce a really sweet 100-300 yd. combo and stop screwing around in the "mad-scientist lab" everytime I make ammo.
Cooked-Up 15 rounds each of 6 different charges in Hornady LNL-AP. Obviously VARGET and RL15 are the team favorites but those powders just meter so poorly through progressive that it become a trickle-weigh and pour drill for consistent charges. Am looking for something that will be damned-close in accuracy at 1-3 hun. Yds. so we will give this XBR a spin.
Metering was quite good in progressive with almost all charges in +,- 0.1g. A few +,- 0.2.
Started at 22.0 then 22.7, 23.2, 23.6, 23.9 and 24.3 as target weights. Have Chrono and will report back. I am going 0.1 over at 23.9 and 0.5 at 24.3 as I read multiple acounts of the IMR-Hodg. published data being too-conservative for observed pressure-signs.
Hopefully, somewhere in the 23.6-24.3 range I will find a sweet-grouping load that still has good bullet speed.
If this pans-out then I probably will be set with the user-friendly 8208 XBR and the sensible-priced match bullets in those 69g Nosler Custome Comps.
Rifle is 18", 1 in 8 twist, Shilen ultra-match barreled, SPR config. with Viltor Upper and Billet Lower with Fail-Zero BCG. It's made of good parts and has been a real 1/2-3/4 minute tack-driver with hand-trickled loads of 24.3 Benchmark and 53g. VMAX's.
Stay Tuned

Re: 8208 XBR and 69g Noslers

I don't think you will be disappointed with the XBR powder for the combo you are trying. Good luck and be sure to post results.

I shot some 68 gr. Hornady OTM last night using 23.8 8208 XBR in my Colt CAR A3. It shoots 1MOA. The Colt barrel is a 24" stainless 5.56 chamber 1/9 and is not a tack driver. You may get better results.

I get a hair under 1 MOA using 25.0 grs. of 8208 XBR and a 53 gr. flat base H.P. out of the same rifle.

I also get good results with 8208 XBR in my 308 Win. L/R rifles.

in my ( bolt ) it sure shoots lights out for me.I worked up to 24.5 but came up with to much pressure so I called it at 24gn.I now use it with a 70gn Berger VLD with great results.Hope it works for you too,me I love it.