• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

86,000 Korean M1 Garands Headed for US Market

G

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/01/116_103154.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Washington has agreed to allow the importation of M1 Garand rifles from Seoul, reversing its earlier decision to ban the shipping of the weapon used by South Korean and U.S. soldiers during the 1950-53 Korean War, a senior defense official said Wednesday.

“The U.S. government approved the imports of some 86,000 of the rifles,” said Lee Sun-chul, deputy defense minister for force and resources management.

“The historic firearms are expected to be sold to American Korean War veterans and their families in time for the 62nd anniversary of the Korean War, which falls on June 25 this year.”

Kim Mi-sung, an official of the force and resources management office, said the defense ministry received an approval letter from the United States on Sept. 2 last year that stated Washington agreed to allow the importation of the M1s.

She noted that the U.S. government, however, rejected Seoul’s proposal to export some 600,000 M1 Carbines, which were also used in the Korean War, as they come with a magazine that can carry multiple rounds unlike the Garands.

“We plan to announce a bid later this month or in February for the selection of agencies to sell the M1 rifles to Americans,” Kim said. “The U.S. has been reviewing legal procedures for the approval of a third party transfer.”

The official said Korea plans to purchase locally developed K2 rifles with the money raised by selling the M1s.

The Obama administration blocked the purchase of 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines in 2010, saying the American-made antique rifles could “potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes.”

The move, however, triggered strong criticism among gun collectors, who said the U.S. government was being excessively concerned about possible firearm incidents involving the aging semiautomatic rifles.

In February last year, U.S. Sen. Jon Tester and Rep. Cynthia Lummis proposed bills for an amendment of the Arms Export Control Act to guarantee that U.S.-made military firearms classified as “curios and relics” will not be blocked from importation.

The legislations allow firearms more than 50 years old, considered antiques or relics and lawfully possessed by a foreign government, to be imported into the United States through properly licensed groups and sold without written permission from the U.S. State or Defense Departments.

A senior defense ministry official, however, raised the possibility that the U.S. government may cancel the plan to allow the purchase the M1s, saying Seoul has yet to finalize negotiations with Washington.

``We have yet to receive confirmation from the United States over our proposal,” he said. “The U.S. government may change its position at the last minute due to political considerations.”

M1s were made first in 1926 and used during World War II and the Vietnam War. The carbines were first produced in 1941 and used during the 1950-1953 Korean War.

They currently sell for around $220, according to another defense ministry official. </div></div>

Re: 86,000 Korean M1 Garands Headed for US Market

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's starting, </div></div>

The question is, <span style="font-style: italic">what?</span>

That, we can't say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They currently sell for around $220, according to another defense ministry official. </div></div>

Someone tell me where I can get either Garands or M1 Carbines for $220.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packratt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Someone tell me where I can get either Garands or M1 Carbines for $220. </div></div>

That was the Korean Defense Ministry, not ours.
There will be some shipping and handling fees tacked on before you get one.

well i want one, lets do group buy im down for 4 at that price

I hope the carbines get imported.

I would love to get my hands on one of these not only for the historical aspect but as a little sentimental as well, my grandfather who passed this last Dec 21st was in the war and owned one but with two sons and 6 grandsons its a pretty slim chance for me.

I'll buy a few, wonder when they'll be released on CMP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M1s were made first in 1926 and used during World War II and the Vietnam War</div></div>

Normally I'd go to the CMP for a Garand, but if I could get one of those 1926 models, I'd have something special.

In reading the article it would appear that there is still ample bureaucratic horseshit to be navigated around before any of these rifles ever become available to us.

And what about the Carbines? The cynicism of the agencies preventing the re-importation of these excellent examples of American innovation, design and manufacturing is as outrageous as it is unsurprising.

87,000 Garands and over 700,000 carbines just sitting there gathering dust? This displeases me.

I would be up for one of each at that price but I bet the selling price will be two to three times that price.

CMP will NOT get these rifles, "if" they ever make it back to the US they will be sold to Importers to the highest bidder.
This is nothing new, rumors of these rifles has been going on for 10 years
The Korean Times article sounds very fishy to me. There is no way they will be sold for that low of a price. I would expect to see them atleast as high or higher than CMP Garands.
The Importers will get as much $$ as they can out of them and many people dont know about CMP or think CMP is to hard to purchase from
JMO, yours may vary

I may have to get some kind of McD's job or something and start saving up for one. My stepfatehr was a Korea Marine, and I would love to have one of those rifles. With Gibb's making these:

M84Scope.jpg

Of course the requisite flash hider, cheek leather, and 1917 sling will be needed too.

My oldest Boy has his Lend Lease M1 Garand from Denmark, still in all it's original used looks...a real war horse and he will not change it to save his life. Of course the rifle I really want is a 1917 Enfield like my namesake, and great uncle John James carried in WWI. Just one Enfield in 30-06, a old helmet and bayonet for the wall