• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

88 ELDM fliers.....

Davehc130

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2013
So I have been shooting my 22 GT trying to find a load for 88 ELDMs.....started at 3000 and worked my way up to 3200....plan on PRS load....my issue is I get so many damn fliers with this bullet... 20 thou off the lands....4 rounds go in .25 inches then the 5th with be out .5-.7 inches.....did it on almost every powder charge...best group I had was at 3180...4 went in a .2 then the and 1 was .7 out.....anyone else have this issue...5 groove 5R Bartlein barrel...26 inches...heavy varmint contour....

Reactions: chevy327
So I have been shooting my 22 GT trying to find a load for 88 ELDMs.....started at 3000 and worked my way up to 3200....plan on PRS load....my issue is I get so many damn fliers with this bullet... 20 thou off the lands....4 rounds go in .25 inches then the 5th with be out .5-.7 inches.....did it on almost every powder charge...best group I had was at 3180...4 went in a .2 then the and 1 was .7 out.....anyone else have this issue...5 groove 5R Bartlein barrel...26 inches...heavy varmint contour....
test

Maybe try backing the speed off

If you shoot a few 5 rounds groups what does the aggregate look like?

Is it a bunch of small 4 shot groups all in the same POI and random flyers or if you stacked all the groups would they resemble a .75" circle

Maybe try backing the speed off

If you shoot a few 5 rounds groups what does the aggregate look like?

Is it a bunch of small 4 shot groups all in the same POI and random flyers or if you stacked all the groups would they resemble a .75" circle
well I started at 3000 FPS and loaded up to 3200 and every group had at least one flier that would go out of the group...again...3-4 group .3 or so and then fliers that would be .7 inches out of the group....no way I would use this bullet for PRS unless I can figure out the issue...I guess I will try jumping the bullet more....start at 20 thou and work up to 80 thou off...see if it get better...

If the flier is coming on the 5th shot most of the time it's probably you. If it's completely random when it comes you may want to try a different jump. Brakes and suppressors can affect accuracy pretty dramatically sometimes so if you are using one try it without or with a different one.

0.7 MOA is plenty for PRS.
not where I shoot.....we have targets that are .1 mil wide...... I would never hit them with 1 MOA groups.....I can shoot 90 ATIPs and get .3 groups all day....was trying to find a more affordable bullet....

If the flier is coming on the 5th shot most of the time it's probably you. If it's completely random when it comes you may want to try a different jump. Brakes and suppressors can affect accuracy pretty dramatically sometimes so if you are using one try it without or with a different one.
the fliers are mixed in...could be the first shot or the last.....its not me.....

we have targets that are .1 mil wide......

1648521866712.png

I dont shoot 6 rounds for load development ...just 5....
You aren’t picking up with these guys are throwing down. They are saying that your flier may not be a flier. In other words, part of the group.

not where I shoot.....we have targets that are .1 mil wide...... I would never hit them with 1 MOA groups.....I can shoot 90 ATIPs and get .3 groups all day....was trying to find a more affordable bullet....
Well,..... you did find a more affordable bullet.....

You aren’t picking up with these guys are throwing down. They are saying that your flier may not be a flier. In other words, part of the group.
when I shoot 10 groups and half of them have rounds significantly out of the group...they are fliers.....

You’re basically now saying that 20% of the bullets are bad or inconsistent enough to make you shoot ~ 130% worse than other bullets.

So I’m not sure what answer you’re looking for.

when I shoot 10 groups and half of them have rounds significantly out of the group...they are fliers.....
not necessarily...

you're discounting what it would look like if you stacked all 10 of those groups on top of each other with the exact same POA

Had the same issue with 80ELDM in 223.

My gun just didn’t like them. Switching to the Berger 80.5 solved my problems.

Attachments

• 65D98BA6-940E-4CAF-975E-069C719B6295.jpeg
    65D98BA6-940E-4CAF-975E-069C719B6295.jpeg
    798.6 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: IHFarmer07
These 88’s are majic at 2850 out of a .219 bore. You running a .218 ? 1:7 or ? Any failing to make it to the target ? Any lead tails on the fliers ? Tried cleaning to bare metal? MV of fliers ”different” ?

Reactions: Eddystone
I was going to write that sometimes the very long for caliber projectiles are finicky, but you said you have bugholes with the ATIPS... Maybe cheaper to just shoot the more expensive bullets and forget about trying to find bliss with the 88's.

I was going to write that sometimes the very long for caliber projectiles are finicky, but you said you have bugholes with the ATIPS... Maybe cheaper to just shoot the more expensive bullets and forget about trying to find bliss with the 88's.
Looks like he’s dorked off.

My 80ELD-M were a bit picky, they would throw the flyer here and there even though some groups were .4 or better.
The 75 ELD-M were a bit better but would still throw the inexplicable flyer.
The 80 SMK were the best but past 800 yards, the lower BC would show in higher wind but had easy groups in the .2s on a straight 223 Rem Match DTA

I don't think it's your node, barrel, etc ... I think it's just Hornady being Hornady. Keep the 88 for fun and get more Atips for serious work.

Reactions: Davehc130
In defense of the 88s...
While not the greatest, many folks report better long range results with the Berger 85.5 and 90 SMK...
These are 15 rounds at 675. Shot as a string checking seating depth and brass differences.
24" bbl at 2915 fps.
They are all 1/2 moa.
I would look at your pressures and velocities.
This load is about the same as others velocities with this bullet at 26 or 27 inch bbls, with reported 3000 to 3050 velocities.

We have seen groups go to hell when we tried to push them harder.

FYI
This load has been shot in many PRS matches. Never missed due to the bullet. It will continue to be used.

Attachments

• 20220330_192701.jpg
    20220330_192701.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
The OP was working on a 22GT.
Here is a 5 shot string to proof at 675 from a GT.
1:7 bbl
The lpad is equivilent to 36.2 of H4350.
24" bbl. Velocity on these was 3100.
Wind was 8 to 10
Woops...
Will need to rotate the image.

Attachments

• 20220331_084344.jpg
    20220331_084344.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 64
These 88’s are majic at 2850 out of a .219 bore. You running a .218 ? 1:7 or ? Any failing to make it to the target ? Any lead tails on the fliers ? Tried cleaning to bare metal? MV of fliers ”different” ?
2850 is way to slow for PRS....the advantage the 22 cal bullet is the higher BC with less wind drift...you shoot them at 2850 then you have lost the reason to shoot them...energy will be way low for impacts....would be better off shooting the 6 dasher at 2900 vice 22GT at 2850......

In defense of the 88s...
While not the greatest, many folks report better long range results with the Berger 85.5 and 90 SMK...
These are 15 rounds at 675. Shot as a string checking seating depth and brass differences.
24" bbl at 2915 fps.
They are all 1/2 moa.
I would look at your pressures and velocities.
This load is about the same as others velocities with this bullet at 26 or 27 inch bbls, with reported 3000 to 3050 velocities.

We have seen groups go to hell when we tried to push them harder.
I agree 100%...I have been trying to get the BERGER 85.5s....NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!!!! I would love to shoot the bergers or the 95 SMK......I can buy the 88s all day long...can't find Berger 85.5 or 95 anywhere for the last 5 months!!!

Last edited:
You’re basically now saying that 20% of the bullets are bad or inconsistent enough to make you shoot ~ 130% worse than other bullets.

So I’m not sure what answer you’re looking for.
well I tried jumping the bullets at 80thou per recommendation from a buddy that shoots them...slightly better......but not enough for me to want to shoot them in a match...so I will go back to the 90 ATIPs....pricey but way more consistent.....