• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

8x Bino Recommendation

Chesapeake

N/A
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Montana
I currently am using a pair of 10x42, 8+ year old Redfield binos for most of my hunting. I have recently picked up a pair of 15x56 Meoptas for mounted glassing but would like recommendations on 8x binos for stalking, treestand and still hunting. I wear my binos on a chest harness and do a lot of bow hunting. I live on the east coast but also make at least one trip out west every year.

I know that I would eventually like to have a set of top tier binos in this power range but right now want to stick in the $500-$1000 budget. What do you guys recommend? I really would like a well-balanced set with a wide field of view that I can easily throw up and scan as I’m still hunting through an area. Thanks!

I use a set of Steiner 8x32 MilR.

Perfect ergonomically, sized right, rugged, and with the sport focus fast viewing.

Down side.......sometimes your eye, the sport focus and the distance will not give you PERFECT focus, close but just not ultra sharp.

Glass is not up to par of high end gear but to my untrained eye it works well enough.

Get them in the military marine or police version they are pretty affordable.

...and if you go that way buy them from @gr8fuldoug

Thanks guys, anybody have any experience with the Leica Trinovid Hds in 8x42? How would these compare to those previously recommended?

Thanks guys, anybody have any experience with the Leica Trinovid Hds in 8x42? How would these compare to those previously recommended?

Leicas would blow away my Steiners at the cost of....

A. More Money
B. The time spent fine focusing at each object you scan.

I love my Steiners. I have the LRF model, but I think they are the same glass as the non range finding binos. As previously stated, the sport focus can be really nice for scanning and identifying, but does lack super sharp focus if you’re trying to hone in on something really tight. I personally don’t mind the trade off since it suits my needs just fine and I love being able to constantly see everything from 30-infinity without messing with a focus knob.

<https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...ce32-0138-9c7e-00163e90e196?variation=2775063>

I was invited to participate in a field test of side by side comparisons of four different binos. The Steiner Predator beat out the two more expensive brands in all categories at a fraction of the price and the near equivalent priced brand. The initials of each brand was Bush, Stei, Brun and Zeis. Unless Steiner quality has changed for the worse, I'd go with them. I realize pmclaine had a different experience but dollar for dollar i'd put my money into the Predators.

I have a set of Athlon Cronus 8.5x42 which are really nice for the price, doug has them on sale as a new model is out. I was sold on them at the AZ TPRC match when I couldn't see swaro plates in the shade of a hill with sun hitting the lens, but I could pick them up easily with my binocs. Maybe doug will chime in on them, I wish I'd picked up the 10x before they previous model sold out. https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...97f5-0135-d06f-00163e90e196?variation=1605497

I have a set of Athlon Cronus 8.5x42 which are really nice for the price, doug has them on sale as a new model is out. I was sold on them at the AZ TPRC match when I couldn't see swaro plates in the shade of a hill with sun hitting the lens, but I could pick them up easily with my binocs. Maybe doug will chime in on them, I wish I'd picked up the 10x before they previous model sold out. https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...97f5-0135-d06f-00163e90e196?variation=1605497
IMO, for the money, the Athlon Cronus 8.5x42 is tough to beat. Especially if you wear glasses as the eye relief is 22mm. Great glass, excellent build quality. The only down side is the 33 ounce weight, otherwise under $500.00 it is the go to for sure

Reactions: Wyzrd
Here's a great deal on Nikon HG's. Refurbished, but that likely means it has even more quality control than straight from the factory optics these days. I absolutely love mine in 8x. I compared them to some 10x42 EL's side by side last fall and I had to look very closely to see any difference.

Reactions: Wyzrd
This is what I want to get next....I have a meostar 10x42 had already....

Attachments

• E224BD56-CF3A-4DBE-B98E-B5474C5E9A47.png
    E224BD56-CF3A-4DBE-B98E-B5474C5E9A47.png
    896.3 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Mxridr
Meopta binos are excellent. Cronus binos made in China. I bought a pair and the box fell apart as I opened them. Sold them the same day!

Thanks for all of the input guys. To further guide these recommendations let me say that I need a focus knob as I often hunt in some thick stuff and like to pick apart the area with the focus knob to look for game.

I also would prefer a wide field of view with high contrast.

I am not surprised that the Steiners, Leicas, Meoptas and Kowas were recommended. I am a little surprised that the Nikon binos have such a favorable following.

I’m wondering if I’m being foolish here and should just wait until I can stop being such a poor and buy some alphas in an 8x platform. Thoughts? I guess I could also buy two or three sets from @gr8fuldoug and keep the one that suits me the best.

After looking at some of the birding forums it seems a lot of guys go through a couple of different brands of binos before they find the ones that they stick with and remain loyal to. I would just like to avoid spending $$$$ on glass and not being 100% satisfied.

<https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...ce32-0138-9c7e-00163e90e196?variation=2775063>

I was invited to participate in a field test of side by side comparisons of four different binos. The Steiner Predator beat out the two more expensive brands in all categories at a fraction of the price and the near equivalent priced brand. The initials of each brand was Bush, Stei, Brun and Zeis. Unless Steiner quality has changed for the worse, I'd go with them. I realize pmclaine had a different experience but dollar for dollar i'd put my money into the Predators.

Im pro Steiner, just making buyers aware that if you get a sport focus model there is a price to pay for the fast scanning capability.

I would like to pick up a set of Steiner 10x42Rs to compliment the two sets of 8X32Rs I have.

Ive been watching a set will pop up in the PX soon - NIB with depreciation paid by others.

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
I am not surprised that the Steiners, Leicas, Meoptas and Kowas were recommended. I am a little surprised that the Nikon binos have such a favorable following.

That is because you, (like me) spend too much time on shooting forums instead of observing forums! :)

I did the same thing you suggest above, and I purchased 8-10 different brands at the same time. The place I used had an EXCELLENT return policy, or I wouldn't have gone this route. But it is invaluable to be able to sit in a lawn chair and go back and forth for hours.

In the end, it was a tie for me between the Swarovski EL and Nikon EDG. Zeiss was no slouch either. In addition to clarity, I have a new found respect for field-of-view. After discovering I can immerse myself (think virtual reality goggles), I can never go back to toilet paper tube viewing. And I'm very anxious to get my hands on a pair of Swarovski's latest option, the NL Pure in 8x. 477 ft @ 1000 yards. Sheesh!

Last edited:
That is because you, (like me) spend too much time on shooting forums instead of observing forums! :)

Truth! When you did your testing, did you find the manufacturer’s spec’d FOV numbers to be accurate when comparing the different binos?

Truth! When you did your testing, did you find the manufacturer’s spec’d FOV numbers to be accurate when comparing the different binos?

Nope. Huge variations from brand to brand with supposedly similar numbers. This is something I really never noticed until I literally viewed the name environment back-and-forth with different brands.

Although I personally think it has more to do with magnification differences as well as field curvature. This is a big reason I prefer a field-flattening optical system on the more expensive options.

AND don't forget to evaluate eye-cup settings! For me personally, any brand with FOV specs over 400 ft @ 1000 yards need the eye-cups retracted almost all the way. And I don't wear glasses. Some brands do better than others at providing positive click settings for their eye-cups.

Last edited:
I got some 10x42 Steiner predators several years ago on closeout 6years +or - used them yesterday to glass muledeer out past 1000 yards 30 minutes past sundown no compaints. I also have some leica rangefinder binos better glass , heavier, way more expensive..Either one was good enough from where I was sitting.I have some Steiner 8x30 military small compact, affordable, and I still use them for bowhunting. My brother uses 10x50 police model Steiner's very good also. I glassed solid for hours this weekend no eyestrain, headaches etc. Lot of good glass in that price range Meopta included.

Last edited:
Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
Im pro Steiner, just making buyers aware that if you get a sport focus model there is a price to pay for the fast scanning capability.

I would like to pick up a set of Steiner 10x42Rs to compliment the two sets of 8X32Rs I have.

Ive been watching a set will pop up in the PX soon - NIB with depreciation paid by others.
Thanks for the clarification!

Thanks for all of the input guys. To further guide these recommendations let me say that I need a focus knob as I often hunt in some thick stuff and like to pick apart the area with the focus knob to look for game.

I also would prefer a wide field of view with high contrast.

I’m wondering if I’m being foolish here and should just wait until I can stop being such a poor and buy some alphas in an 8x platform. Thoughts? I guess I could also buy two or three sets from @gr8fuldoug and keep the one that suits me the best.

After looking at some of the birding forums it seems a lot of guys go through a couple of different brands of binos before they find the ones that they stick with and remain loyal to. I would just like to avoid spending $$$$ on glass and not being 100% satisfied.

dude....now is probably the BEST time to be a buyer. with swaro releasing their new bino, so many people are selling what they have so they can get the latest, greatest. i have seen some outragously great deals on swaro, zeiss, and lieca in the last two weeks. you up your budget by a bit, and you are in the alpha class and will NOT regret spending the cash. and if you do-you’ll be able to sell what you bought and get your money back pretty easy.

i’ve seen doug post some incredible prices on binos lately as well.....his reputation is top notch for a reason and i’d not hesitate to call him.