• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9 Pellets Vs. 12 Pellets

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    Forgive my ignorance as I'm not much for shotguns. With that said, I noticed that Federal is offering the 12 gauge load of buckshot with a 12 pellet load (instead of 9) at 1 17/16 oz.

I just got a Mossberg 930 SPX with open choke and mounted a Holosun optic on it. I plan on zeroing it for slugs at 50 yards but not worry as much as about the buckshot.

I'd like to try my hand at hunting coyotes with a shotgun as there are some places that I hunt where I'm very limited on the direction of fire and feel safer with a shotgun.

I was thinking that with a 30% increase in the number of pellets I might stand a chance of getting a corresponding increase in hit probability.

So has anyone tried these loads with 12 pellets? If so, what did you think? Should I stick with 9 pellet loads or go for the 3 inch magnum variety with 12 pellets?

Reactions: 338dude
    I would say how your shotgun patterns with different buckshot loads is significantly more important than 9 vs 12.

I would take whatever load patterns the best in your shotgun. Tight pattern > number of pellets

buckshot-sizes.jpg

Federal flitecontrol tends to do very well with many shotguns.

I would say how your shotgun patterns with different buckshot loads is significantly more important than 9 vs 12.

I would take whatever load patterns the best in your shotgun. Tight pattern > number of pellets

buckshot-sizes.jpg

Federal flitecontrol tends to do very well with many shotguns.

I was going to try the Federal Flitecontrol but all I can find is the load for copper plated pellets and it's pretty darn expensive.

I would like to be able to get a coyote-sized pattern or under out to about 50 yards. I figure that might be closest that I would be able to call them in.

I agree with you on the pattern. Years ago I read that most shotguns were getting better patterns with #4 buckshot for a given choke.

However, I've read recently that some police departments have gone back to 00 buckshot.

Anyone have any experience with #4 buckshot?

If you are concerned about the cost of buckshot shells, I have an idea for you.

Buy cheaper bulk shells, such as Wally-world, which are birdshot 7 &1/2 or 8 shot. Open the crimp, pour out the shot 1 & 1/8 oz, and re-cast the shot into whichever buckshot size you want. Of course, you will need to buy some buckshot molds, handles, and figure out a way to melt and cast lead. But the process is very easy and is a cheap way to get buckshot loads for birdshot prices.

Ballistically, you will be trading a 1& 1/8 oz (31.9 gram/493.5 grain) payload going 1200 feet per second for a slightly heavier payload (1.21oz/34.5 gram/532 grain) at the same charge. No need to change or move the shot cup/wad. 9 OO pellets will fit in a standard 2 & 3/4" case. 24 #4 pellets will fit. If you are neat and do a careful job, you won't mess up the case & crimp, which will affect loading & chambering.

I think factory OO buckshot loads are around 1600 feet per second, so the slightly incrased (39 grains) lead pellet payload weight won't be much different from the original factory load. This method also works for slugs or other size buckshot.

Last edited:
    If you are concerned about the cost of buckshot shells, I have an idea for you.

Buy cheaper bulk shells, such as Wally-world, which are birdshot 7 &1/2 or 8 shot. Open the crimp, pour out the shot 1 & 1/8 oz, and re-cast the shot into whichever buckshot size you want. Of course, you will need to buy some buckshot molds, handles, and figure out a way to melt and cast lead. But the process is very easy and is a cheap way to get buckshot loads for birdshot prices.

Ballistically, you will be trading a 1& 1/8 oz (31.9 gram/49.5 grain) payload going 1200 feet per second for a slightly heavier payload (1.21oz/34.5 gram/532 grain) at the same charge. No need to change or move the shot cup/wad. 9 OO pellets will fit in a standard 2 & 3/4" case. 24 #4 pellets will fit. If you are neat and do a careful job, you won't mess up the case & crimp, which will affect loading & chambering.

I think factory OO buckshot loads are around 1600 feet per second, so the slightly incrased (39 grains) lead pellet payload weight won't be much different from the original factory load. This method also works for slugs or other size buckshot.

I have a muzzle loading shot gun and a flintlock fowling piece. It might be just as easy to experiment with different size shot in those weapons.

Don't use 00 for coyotes. You'll want a denser pattern. #4 buck works well or pick up some Hornady Express BB loads. The Hornady would probably be my pick with a cylinder bore as it uses a flight control type wad. Make sure to pattern it to know your range at which you can ensure good kills.

On a side note, I made a post last year about creating a shotgun load that hammers coyotes. I've went down the rabbit hole and did a lot of research on loading TSS shot.
    The best factory coyote shotgun loads I ever used were the Federal Coyote loads which used a 15 g/cc tungsten BB pellet. The TSS shot now that can be purchased is 18 g/cc, which is far heavier than lead, and doesn't deform.
    Unfortunately, the cost of TSS shot has gone through the roof and I'd be looking at +$5 a shell reloading.
    I think I might try a high antimony lead T shot load in place of the TSS shot. It won't have the range of TSS, but I think lead T is the happy place for pattern density and range. I'm hoping to get started on this project soon and I'll try and post updates. Scatter gun reloading intrigues me and I'm excited to see the results.
    If anyone is thinking about reloading buckshot type rounds, check out Bubba Rountree on YouTube. He's doing the Lord's work when it comes to large shot reloading.

Reactions: Mbaysinger89
    I figure with buckshot it’s more about pattern than pattern density. And from what little I understand, more pellets may not mean better pattern.

Below is a paper exercise I did with my 12” SBS. The Hornady load has same wad as Federal Flite Control:
    E83DF742-5A46-4732-883A-3192363D2FE4.jpeg
    8A420BE5-9C86-4A3F-B91D-798F2CC4C22D.jpeg
    9A532AB4-7558-409B-941C-0EDAC6F45084.jpeg

I figure with buckshot it’s more about pattern than pattern density. And from what little I understand, more pellets may not mean better pattern.

When I'm saying pattern density, I'm referring to the pattern. There's too many holes in 00 buck patterns to use for coyotes.

Reactions: moosemeat
    On a side note, I made a post last year about creating a shotgun load that hammers coyotes. I've went down the rabbit hole and did a lot of research on loading TSS shot.
    The best factory coyote shotgun loads I ever used were the Federal Coyote loads which used a 15 g/cc tungsten BB pellet. The TSS shot now that can be purchased is 18 g/cc, which is far heavier than lead, and doesn't deform.
    Unfortunately, the cost of TSS shot has gone through the roof and I'd be looking at +$5 a shell reloading.
    I think I might try a high antimony lead T shot load in place of the TSS shot. It won't have the range of TSS, but I think lead T is the happy place for pattern density and range. I'm hoping to get started on this project soon and I'll try and post updates. Scatter gun reloading intrigues me and I'm excited to see the results.
    If anyone is thinking about reloading buckshot type rounds, check out Bubba Rountree on YouTube. He's doing the Lord's work when it comes to large shot reloading.

I have enough reloading to do without getting into shotguns. I'll have to stick to factory loads for the smoothbore.

Having a lot of experience with blackpowder rifles and pistols, I decided to branch off into muzzle-loading shotguns because I had a lot of shot laying around in the garage.

I can get two quick shots but take another five minutes to reload. The advantage is that I don't have to worry about reloading any empty hulls.

That Hornady coyote load looks promising.

Now stretch that out to 40 yards and see what it looks like.
    Yeah no thanks, that’s not what a shotgun means to me. Lol… just trying to reinforce that OP needs to get them all and put them on paper because differences are vast.

Reactions: Yoteski
    The saying goes "Every gun is a law unto itself." That certainly applies and then some when it comes to chokes and buckshot. Combos that work great in one gun won't pattern for crap in others.

The saying goes "Every gun is a law unto itself." That certainly applies and then some when it comes to chokes and buckshot. Combos that work great in one gun won't pattern for crap in others.

Back in the day when I didn't have the money, I always wanted the Savage Model 24. Now that I can afford one, I'm not interested.

iu

iu

Your best bet before hunting is to throw up some cardboard and see how each load performs/patterns. Other members in the thread are leading you that direction with good suggestions but there is only one way to know definitely. I usually set up every 10 yds and mark each impact. 50 yds. is a pretty good distance to cover with either the 9 or 12 shot loads. You may find the longer shots need a slug if accurate in your shotgun. And remember, the yote will probably know you are there before you know where they are.... Good Luck!

Reactions: Yoteski
    I LOVE the Rio buckshot... the widest dispersion pattern of any buckshot I've ever tested. ;)

Federal Flite Control being the tightest.

Your best bet before hunting is to throw up some cardboard and see how each load performs/patterns. Other members in the thread are leading you that direction with good suggestions but there is only one way to know definitely. I usually set up every 10 yds and mark each impact. 50 yds. is a pretty good distance to cover with either the 9 or 12 shot loads. You may find the longer shots need a slug if accurate in your shotgun. And remember, the yote will probably know you are there before you know where they are.... Good Luck!

I intend on patterning the gun but want to take other members experiences into consideration.

This gentleman has written a couple excellent articles about shotgun coyote loads. The yardage/penetration charts are very helpful in determining a reasonable range to expect adequate penetration. I would say the caveat to the penetration data is even if a load will penetrate 4" at 100 yards, it's crazy to expect a shotgun to be the right tool for the job. I like to use 40 yards as the determining distance for patterns. I don't expect a pattern to hold together past that. I will try at 50 and 60 yards just to see, because rarely a coyote I've called in that's been shotgunned that works exactly how it's supposed to. It's nice to have that extra yardage in the back pocket if shit goes south, which it usually does.
    Case and point, last year I called in a pair on a line. Calling partner and I were set up in a fence line and the coyotes literally hit the brakes at 75 yards. I was set up with a rifle, but I was on the next post down in the fence line and my partner had already transitioned to the shotgun because of how hard they were coming. I couldn't shoot because he was right in line with the coyotes. The female started to circle and I was ready to kill her, but really wanted that male. I told him to shoot, which he did. He hit him twice, first load was some old Rem HD BB shot and the second was the Federal Coyote BB load. Of course I missed the female on the run, which I'm usually pretty good on; overconfidence and all.
    We were able to recover the male stone dead after he ran about 100 yards and piled up. We went and ranged from where he took the first load and it was 76 yards. Lucky we got him to say the least, but we got him. Skinning him there were 5 pellets in him that killed him. As I said before, I wouldn't recommend shooting them at that far, but sometimes you don't have a choice once you're committed to the shotgun.

Articles by Dave Affleck:

Reactions: Longshot231
    Check out BPI if youre just looking for shot. Precision Reloading used to carry just shot too.

Don't use 00 for coyotes. You'll want a denser pattern. #4 buck works well or pick up some Hornady Express BB loads. The Hornady would probably be my pick with a cylinder bore as it uses a flight control type wad. Make sure to pattern it to know your range at which you can ensure good kills.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Coyotes are soft skinned, and easy to kill. #4 Buck or BB's will work well for you. Just as Yoteski say's.