• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

90 grain 223 champering

Cfont003

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2022
Norfolk Virginia
I have a question, I am trying to either find or make a cartridge to shoot in a ar15 20" barrel that can shoot a 90 gr Hornady A Tip or 95 grain SMK at around 2900+ FPS. I'm OK with it being loaded a little hot. Right now I'm considering either the 22 nosler orthe 22 grendel/ Arc. I don't know if either one of those can push that pill that fast. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Preferably with temperature stable powder as well.

I know I misspelled "chambering"

Last edited:
I mean I shoot a 220TB with 90smk from Keystone Accuracy at 3000 no pressure.. but those aren't fed from a mag...single loaded....the cartridge was designed for this....highpower shooting....longest your feeding from a mag with good bc is 77 TMK and it's fast....over 3200 from 24" barrel

I mean I shoot a 220TB with 90smk from Keystone Accuracy at 3000 no pressure.. but those aren't fed from a mag...single loaded....the cartridge was designed for this....highpower shooting....longest your feeding from a mag with good bc is 77 TMK and it's fast....over 3200 from 24" barrel
Is there any way to get the oal to fit in a standard ar15 mag?

Is there any way to get the oal to fit in a standard ar15 mag?

I mean if the mag measures X and the OAL of a 90 A-Tip is Y... Its not fitting. Guys have cut out fronts of AR mags but that was for stuff like 75 ELD or 80 SMK.... Not 90 A-Tips. Thats why they make single feed sleds for AR15's for the guys that shoot 90's....

The long .224 bullets shine longer than an AR mag length. Using AI mags are a huge advantage with them and why I only use them in a bolt gun.

You can single feed an AR, but if you do that, you might as well go bolt.

I run 95 SMK out of a modified AR 15 5.56 mag. But 20" barrel is maxed out at 2500 fps.
I have since went to a 6 twist.19".