• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

90's primers price and reliability

briang7511

steel smasher
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
i have a chance to purchase some primers that a coworkers grandfather had in his stockpile. Estimating the age somewhere in the mid 90s. They are CCI primers, 500, 450s. one box of 500s are probably from the 80s. What would someone value these at and would they be reliable at low ES/SD?

output_image1679244640739.jpg

Primers are pretty tough too kill. One time a guy gave my dad some primers and reloading stuff. There was one box of shotshell primers that you could tell had been wet, and all the primers inside were rusted. He primed a few shells that all popped so he loaded some trap loads with them, that also all went bang.

Reactions: camocorvette
I'm guessing those are from before GW1(summer 1990) based on the packaging and the price.

If they pass your visual exam they were stored properly and they will perform normally.

If you are friends with your coworker, then your offer is based on the relationship versus today's prices.
If you are not friends with your coworker, then you go as low as possible. YMMV

Thanks for the replies, he is aware of the market prices and basically said just pay me what you think they are worth. Trying to be fair and honest with him. not sure what to value them at, if the 450s could be used as match or practice match loads they would have good value. the pistol primers i just use for plinkin 9mm stuff.

I would offer what they were selling for 4 years ago , before primer prices went crazy .

You can see what they paid for them years ago. I would offer them twice that. That would be more than fair due to the age of the primers. You both win.