• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.936" Gas Block fits which handguards? Ar15.

demolitionman

Send’r Bud
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Midwest
I've built a few lowers and bought completed uppers, so I haven't needed to know much about gas block and barrel clearance inside a rifle length handguard. Here is the barrel I'm wanting to run; https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/barrels/22-varmint-barrels.html Am I going to have a hard time finding hand guards that will accomadate a heavy Varmint profile with a .936" gas block? Can any of you reccomend handguards that have worked well for you with this size gas block? It will be installed on a standard forged milspec Aero Precision upper. Thanks.

SLR Rifle Works has handguards in just about any lenght and configuration you want. They won’t fit over the gas block, but you can bring the hand guard right to it. Top rail butts flush to the upper receiver for a monolithic appearance. The T slots are also timed correctly to work with a mil spec upper. Only thing I don’t like about them is the flush cup mounts are 360 swivel.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66_106

JP Rifles has top notch hand guards that may clear.

http://jprifles.com

Reactions: demolitionman
I dont think you will find an AR15 setup that will work with .936 gas block and still fit inside the rail.

I have an AR10 setup from SLR with their .936 gas block and it tucks inside the rail, but JUST barely, and it took a bit to get it all right and not touching. Its a SUPER tight fit on an AR10 setup.

I have the .936 slr gasblock and a troy carbon fiber 15 inch handguard . I think it called alpha or something. It cleared enough and has a good amount of room. This is for a Christensen arms 6.5 Creedmoor.

I am getting the same size gas block on a barrel and wanting to use the Geissele MK8 rail. It says the inside diameter is 1.3”. I’m hoping it will fit.

Note: The Stag 15 Varminter uses a 24" bull barrel with .936" diameter at the gas port. As seen in this illustration, it uses the Hogue rubber covered handguard in the manner described above.

The barrel sales item specifies that an 'oversized' barrel nut is also required, and while they do not sell the handguard as a separate item, the Upper is available as a complete unit. I have two ARs with this Upper, and they shoot great.

Their bull barrel gas system may be what you want; but you may have to play mix/match with gas tube lengths depending on your barrel.

Hogue handguards.

Greg

Last edited:
Im runnint both SLR and Superlative .936 gas blocks with plenty of clearance under a YHM 15" TJ Competition and a Seekins SP3R V3 15". Any handguard that has a 1.75" ID will fit a .936 no problem. I believe Odin Works makes both a Keymod and MLOK version as well.

Most .936" gas blocks I've seen look like an over grown "micro gas block" unless they are aluminum or have adjustable gas which makes it a bit bigger.

Tube handguards should work and a lot of rails should work with the micro style gas blocks.

AR15 bull barrels are not a new thing, I would be surprised if someone made one with a standard style handguard (DPMS and I think Diamaco made .936" triangle front sights for LR308 and Colt LMG so it is possible).

So what handguard do you want?

You should be able to find dimensions or ask the manufacturer about clearance.

The biggest thing that interfered with handguards was gas piston kits so I think most free float handguards are going to be Ok for you.

Why not change the gas block to a jp low pro adjustable. I run them on all my heavy barrels and haven’t found a handgaurd yet that won’t fit.

Reactions: ncyotecaller