• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.938 adjustable gas block

Dave__th3__ss

Ammo prep guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
My reloading room
Recently bought a Wilson combat Super sniper from another member. I bought a superlative adjustable gas block. It’s .936 ID the gas block on the barrel measure .938 ID.

Is there any company that makes a .938 adjustable low profile gas block?
Or would the superlative .936 clamp on work?

You have the more ideal option not to press-fit the gas block for a reliable seal.

Find a competent machinist who can do the work, or send it to Wilson and have them do it.

Have you tried putting the gas block on yet? Is it clamp or set screw style?

It’s a set screw. And yes I’ve already tried sliding it on. That’s how I know it doesn’t fit
Exchange it for a clamp on version or get some fine sand paper and slowly sand down the gas block journal til you get a nice tight fit on the gas block. Some of WOA barrels come with oversized gas journals for this reason. A tight fit is better than loose on gas blocks.

If you can get access to a drill press to spin the barrel you can easily knock off .002 with
400 sand paper. Or get a metal rod use a hacksaw to cut a slit in it about 1-1/2 inches long
and wind some sandpaper around the rod until it just fits in the gas block (sanding drum) then use a drill to spin the
sandpaper.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Before you resort to trying to remove material you might try this. Put your barrel in the freezer overnight or leave it for a day or two. The freeze will shrink it slightly. Now warm up the gas block. Boiling water would heat it to 212 degrees and expand the opening slightly. Now lock the barrel in a vise as quickly as possible and with any luck your gas block will slide on. A light tap with plastic hammer may be necessary. Align it quickly as the barrel warms it will begin to expand and as the block cools it will shrink. Dimpling the bottom of the barrel before hand will aide in the proper alignment.

Good luck on your project.

Wouldn't heating the gas block reduce the inner diameter of it?

No. When rebuilding the rear end, replacing the ring and pinion gears, you heat the ring gear so it will slide over the carrier. It won't fit when cold but will when heated. Same principle.

If you think about the inner layer of the steel as individual cells, imagine them all being heated and the expansion they will undergo.
The Inner Diameter will expand and enlarge with heat, even as the mid layers and outer diameter expands.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
It makes perfect sense. It the inner diameter expands the same direction as the outer diameter or else it would be compressing.

Metal expands in all directions when heated. In the case of a ring shape, the circumference (length if flattened into a strip) is greater than the thickness. When heated, the increase in length is much more than the increase in thickness, making the circumference larger, both OD and ID.

Heating the gas block, freezing the barrel and sliding the gas block on the barrel and aligning it before everything locks up is not going to go well. If the shrink/expand difference is even enough.

Heating the gas block, freezing the barrel and sliding the gas block on the barrel and aligning it before everything locks up is not going to go well. If the shrink/expand difference is even enough.
Why won’t it go well? What’s the worst that will happen I don’t get the gas block on?