• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos 940 Yards with AR-10T

salmonaxe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2007
Lynnwood, WA
Had this AR-10T forever. Never really reloaded for it. Recently put together a load and she sure shoots. 175gr SMK at 2660ft/s. 44.6gr Varget. Lapua Brass.

5 out of 5 shots, First round hit, only shots of the day taken at this target. Just a little over 1moa. I did the same on my last outing. Guess I've got some decent dope. I don't plan on shooting it a lot and instead shooting it just enough to collect dope for different conditions.

Rifle is Armalite AR-10T. Older 24" bbl. Threaded by previous owner, Smith Vortex 5.5-22x56mm NPR1 NXS, Larue SPR-S, Geissele SD-E, SWS E1 rail, PRS, MIAD. The only things I could see changing are adding a BCMGunfighter Charging handle and an Atlas Bipod.

Re: 940 Yards with AR-10T

great job.. does your ar10 chew up your nice brass? with mine it chews up the brass..well it bites into the cases more than I would like I would say... and not that you shouldnt but lapua is $$ - i would be concerned I was destroying the brass in a semi auto? but great shooting either way. thats quite a view as well... thanks for sharing

Holy cow, nice target!!! Wonder where you got that at??? LOL

Nice shooting, you seem to have a nak for hitting those long targets at distance on your first shot! Well done brother.

Well, It puts 2 scratches on the case from the feed ramps transition into the cutout for the bolt lugs and it puts a tiny dent in the case from ejection. It's not too bad. I don't get any ejector swipes and the rims are perfect.

I have thought about polishing those two places that scratch the case and bullet, but I don't want to potentially mess up such a great functioning rifle.

Heck just a quick calculation of how much it would cost to reload using lapua brass fresh each time puts 20 rounds at $25.4 That's nearly 5 bucks cheaper than Gold Metal Match.

I did try the same load with winchester brass and it also shot great, but the dang winchester has a really small diameter head. I can't remember, but I think of the top of my head it was around 5 thou smaller than the lapua, maybe even more. It caused a slight bulge on one side of the case. I never use winchester, and I ended up doing a search and finding that other people had noticed the same thing. I didn't like that and figured I'd give the lapua a shot. Lapua shows no signs of bulging.

Case head failures in an AR platform is bad. I think that in a 700 action a case head failure would just result in gas vented out the side of the action. Paying a little more $$ to keep this from happening in my AR-10T seems worth it to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy cow, nice target!!! Wonder where you got that at??? LOL

Nice shooting, you seem to have a nak for hitting those long targets at distance on your first shot! Well done brother. </div></div>

I got that target from this really nice guy who makes a great product.
smile.gif
He's even improved on it by adding a radius to the corners where the shoulder meets the head.

Buy with confidence from Jake guys!

And Thanks! I'm getting better and better. I still have a lot to learn. But I've come a long way. Gas guns are my thing though.

Yeah man, your gas guns are hammers too!!

When I get a gas gun, I am going to have you build it, you certainly know what your doing.....

wow, my Ar10 blows all the primers out of the winchester cases over 44 gr of varget with a 175 SMK, I get to 1000 with 43 gr but scope is maxed out.
there are a lot of fun to shoot, congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow, my Ar10 blows all the primers out of the winchester cases over 44 gr of varget with a 175 SMK, I get to 1000 with 43 gr but scope is maxed out.
there are a lot of fun to shoot, congrats. </div></div>

Interesting. I occasionally get popped primers in one of my suppressed AR-15 SPRs. They always fall out after the brass is ejected. And it only happens when it's really dirty. My guess is that there's a lot of carbon in the neck area.

I didn't like winchester brass, but after I switched to lapua brass, I started seating my bullets at the max length that would fit the AR-10 magazine. Since it was an autoloader I had initially started with the standard COAL of 2.8". Then I bumped it up to 2.83. In the lapua case I can shake it and hear powder moving around, so it isn't a compressed load. That might help.

What's the make of your 308 AR? Are you shooting suppressed? I know it's expensive, but you could always try lapua brass.

On a 6.5x47L bolt action of mine, it would blank primers. (cut a little disk) That was when I had a really underpowered firing pin spring and I was using plain CCI primers. Didn't do it with Winchester or CCI small rifle magnums. Main reason it did it at all was due to the large firing pin diameter vs the small primer. Yours aren't blanking are they?

I have a buddy who bought one of Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrels for his AR-10. It functions flawlessly and groups well. Something to consider if you are unhappy with your current AR-10 setup.

Oh yeah, I don't crimp either. I've chambered rounds without them moving at all. I feel the neck tension of a 308 is plenty good enough to keep a bullet from being set back.