• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

95 grain Berger VLD vs 95 grain SMK

MoMopacksa45

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2008
Oklahoma
Any of you gents have experience with the two mentioned bullets for the .243 ? Do the VLD's have to be seated out so long that they won't fit in a standard Rem. 700 short action ? My rifle has a 1/10 twist and would like to try these bullets. Will the VLD's stabilize with the afore menetioned twist ? Any information from personal experience with load and accuracy would be much apperciated.

Thanks, Mike

Re: 95 grain Berger VLD vs 95 grain SMK

Oops, put this in the wrong thread, Modatators my appoligies. Pleas move to reloading thread at your conveience.

Thanks, Mike

The VLD's prefer to be in the lands anywhere from touching to +.020" in. Magazine length to throat length relationship will be the limiting factor unless you single feed. The SMK's dont mind if they jump as much as .050" at times and may be a better choice for magazine length feeding. The 95's in the 1-10 is about the heaviest you'll be able to go in all temps. If you do it again go 1-8.

Mike,

The three 243 10 twists I've tried with Berger 95 VLD's worked!These were not in a stock Rem700.

The B95's usually like to be seated into the lands but sometimes you can get them to jump just fine.It won't take long for you to figure out whether your gun likes them or not.If you can't get to the lands then start at max mag length and work backwards 10 thou for 3 shots at a time.

The 95 grain Sierra's will probably be easier to get a load worked up for.They are less sensitive to seating depth.

Sometimes the Hornady 105's and Berger 6mm 100 Grain Match Target BT will work.

Steve

I've never used the 95gr VLDs but I can tell you that my experience with the 105 JLK VLDs is that they take a lot of work on seating depth to get them right. Mine tended to not like any more than .015 of jump and no more than .030 of jam.

If you go the VLD route, be patient and start with them in the .020-.030 in the lands and work them out. I think once you pass .015 jump you will find they are all over the place.

10 twist should be ok on a 95gr, but you may see the accuracy taper off at longer distances.

I've never had any luck with anything over 100grs stabilize in anything slower than 8tw. I have heard of some guys getting away with it, but I've never seen it.