• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 95gr SMK questions

DynamicAccuracy

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
Mexico, MO
Im considering building a .224 prs rifle. Seems the 95gr smk would be the ticket with a super high BC and should easily hit 3200fps out of a 22bra, 22x47, or 22dasher. My question is sierra shows on the website that it needs at least a 6.5 twist so im assuming a 6-6.25 twist would about right. My question is would the bullet hold together at that rpm pushing them 3150-3200fps? Im assuming they would but curious who has experience with them.

I know a guy running them just fine from a 7 twist in 22 creed.

WTO is spinning me up a 22LRV (6XC necked down is easiest way to describe it) for these new 95s.

7 twist 22" barrel i expect to be around 3150 pretty easily based on his testing without having to push super hard

I can't speak to what they do at faster velocities, but I've talked to a few people either running them or have tested them at faster speeds and they did not come apart for them, I believe they were all 7 twist tubes.

I was running them in a 6.7 twist 224V at 2500 fps and they were hammers, most accurate AR I have ever owned or fired, BR type accuracy.

I'm also running them in another 224V but a 7 twist at 2440 fps and they are stable in that barrel too, at least in warm temps and pretty close to sea level. They show no signs of being on the edged of stabilization in this barrel, but we will see when the temps drop this winter. I wouldn't be surprised if the cold temps throw them off, but we will see.

For a round with more horsepower that will drive them 2900+ I would have 100% confidence in them from a 7 twist barrel. I'm still toying with the idea of a 22BR or 22 Dasher throated for them and that's the route I would go for twist.

FWIW the BC for me at these velocities tracks to a .593 G1 all the way out to 1000 (furthest I've tested them) which is damn close to the advertised BC and I think the higher velocity will put them spot on or maybe even a little higher than advertised.

I didnt have any issue with them in my 30" 1:7 FT-R barrel throated for 90s. I wish I could mag feed them and I'd consider them for PRS. Had them up to 2800 and printed good groups during initial testing.
IMG_4583.JPG

I can't speak to what they do at faster velocities, but I've talked to a few people either running them or have tested them at faster speeds and they did not come apart for them, I believe they were all 7 twist tubes.

I was running them in a 6.7 twist 224V at 2500 fps and they were hammers, most accurate AR I have ever owned or fired, BR type accuracy.

I'm also running them in another 224V but a 7 twist at 2440 fps and they are stable in that barrel too, at least in warm temps and pretty close to sea level. They show no signs of being on the edged of stabilization in this barrel, but we will see when the temps drop this winter. I wouldn't be surprised if the cold temps throw them off, but we will see.

For a round with more horsepower that will drive them 2900+ I would have 100% confidence in them from a 7 twist barrel. I'm still toying with the idea of a 22BR or 22 Dasher throated for them and that's the route I would go for twist.

FWIW the BC for me at these velocities tracks to a .593 G1 all the way out to 1000 (furthest I've tested them) which is damn close to the advertised BC and I think the higher velocity will put them spot on or maybe even a little higher than advertised.

What barrel length is your 7 twist 224? I have a 7 twist 24” i iust bought.

I'm blowing the 95s up in a 30" 1:7 Krieger around 3200fps. Maxed the velocity out at >3300fps but every other one pops at that velocity. A gain-twist, 5R or polygonal might stress the jacket less, but with this cut-rifled 4-groove Krieger, "match" cup and core projectiles are not faring well at 3200+fps. FYI

For grins I have a 26" button rifled 8-twist 6-groove I'll spin up for comparison. I should be able to get 1.5 stability factor at ±3200fps at my elevation on warm days so it'll be an interesting experiment...

Reactions: NodakBarbarian
I was talking to a GS yesterday, he does chambering for a lot of F-class/FTR shooters, he said the 22 cal 95SMK wasn't working out very well among'st the locals. He didn't say why.

That got me rethinking my next chambering....

I have a 22 brx that I shoot these in. I am about 600 rds in and they run like a champ. BUT I learned on the first barrel that if you dont clean your barrel they will start to pop I clean ever 200 rounds. I am running a 6.6 brux 27" and 3180fps.... they are amazing. I use a g7 of .335 and have proofed that number to 1280yrds

What's next, a 75gr 20cal bullet for long range??

From your keyboard to Sierra’s ears... It sounds odd, but so would some of these 22s five years ago. It seems like something like the Renyolds number of jacked thickness eventually gives a physical limit, if we aren’t past it already.

@Twitchy - what is the OAL on those lipstick, dog d**k happy to see you rounds?

Just commenting. I have a 20x47L barrel that pushed 55 grain Bergers at 3830 fps. At 300 rounds those bullets started blowing up. It did well at long range until that point.

Helicopter'ed a rock chuck off the tip top of a rock on a hill at a 20 degree up angle with only .7 mil dialed for a 427Y shot!

I'm blowing the 95s up in a 30" 1:7 Krieger around 3200fps. Maxed the velocity out at >3300fps but every other one pops at that velocity. A gain-twist, 5R or polygonal might stress the jacket less, but with this cut-rifled 4-groove Krieger, "match" cup and core projectiles are not faring well at 3200+fps. FYI

For grins I have a 26" button rifled 8-twist 6-groove I'll spin up for comparison. I should be able to get 1.5 stability factor at ±3200fps at my elevation on warm days so it'll be an interesting experiment...

What caliber? I have a 22-250AI barrel on order from Patriot Valley Arms, they’re hand throating the chamber for 95 SMK’s. It’s a 26”, 5R, button rifled, 1:7tw

2 year old thread.... May take some time to get a reply from them.

I tried them in a couple of regular 22-250's... a 1in7 and 1in8. I didn't have any stability issues or any blowing up- but never got them to group very good. Both barrels shot great with 80g in the 1 in 7 and then 75 grain in the other. I gave up on the 95....

My .22BR likes them at 2,850fps. 24” Bartlein 5R.
Thought I’d try a couple boxes. Had been shooting 88’s, some guys complained about them blowing up, I never saw them blow, but did get the occasional odd miss, probably just me, but have a long range steel match in a couple weeks, so I’ll find out.
They are a looong bullet, not without controversy when the subject of 6mm vs .22 comes up, but they do what they do. If your rifle likes them, they should do it well.