• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

99 Powerstroke Lost a Tranny

Re: 99 Powerstroke Lost a Tranny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea where to find a replacement without breaking the bank?
99 250 crew 4x4 </div></div>

Manual or auto?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea where to find a replacement without breaking the bank?

Manual or auto?</div></div>

Auto

junkyards have been a no go so far

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea where to find a replacement without breaking the bank?

Manual or auto?</div></div>

Auto

junkyards have been a no go so far </div></div>

Do you know what's wrong with your current one?

It's going to be fairly hard to find one worth it out of a junkyard, the 4R-100 was/is pretty well known for being on the weak side. It would more than likely be worthwhile to rebuild your existing tranny, upgrade the input shaft & throw in some heavy duty clutch disks. If you're running a tuner, you will inevitably torch another factory tranny.

(if you could swing a new torque converter it would also help, but they can be quite expensive.)

ATS Diesel. The sell billet fully assembled transmissions. All you have to do is sent back the damaged one for a core charge. I had a stage 3 in my 2007 dodge. You could throw a hand grenade in these things and barely scuff the paint.

Suncoast also makes rebuild kits for transmissions. They are well known!

I blew my tranny in the same pickup, but a manual, NOT cheap, it cost $3200 to rebuild.

Good luck

With the way things are in dealerships right now you may want to see if the have certified unwarrantable replacements. Shop a few and see if they will give you a deal. That way if anything goes wrong with it you can tow it into ANY Ford dealer and they replace it no charge. GM has a program like that called CERTA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATS Diesel. The sell billet fully assembled transmissions. All you have to do is sent back the damaged one for a core charge. I had a stage 3 in my 2007 dodge. You could throw a hand grenade in these things and barely scuff the paint.

Suncoast also makes rebuild kits for transmissions. They are well known! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea where to find a replacement <span style="font-weight: bold"> without breaking the bank? </span> </div></div>

Same thing did in my 99 F250 - definitely the weak link in an otherwise good truck.

If you are going to keep it a while then try and get an upgraded rebuild.

If mine goes out, I think I am going to go with a BTS, in Arkansas, also Suncoast is a good one. But price is always a factor. I have had them rebuilt for as little as $1400, and we put a Jasper in the last 7.3, that thing was around $3000, installed. The Jasper is still going, the factory one went out at about 36000, but was out of warranty. That truck pulls heavy all the time.

I really didn't want to hear about tranny problems.
Just like everything else.
If you must fix it, make it better.

That is the 6.8 right?

We are fixing problems on the 7.xxx with 30 plus right now.
Standard tran.
Billet intake, ours.

Stock turbo will not last.
(Parts about 350.)

Upgrade about 1500.

Kinda patial to a gear jammer myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really didn't want to hear about tranny problems.

That is the 6.8 right?

Standard tran.
Billet intake, ours.

(Parts about 350.)

Upgrade about 1500.

</div></div>

?????????????

The 4r100 is a good trans if built right. I have done several in big hp lighnings and in strokes with tuners. You really need a trans temp gauge and a 6.0 cooler if your gonna work or push the truck much. Last one I built behind a 7.3 was running 200+ temp with the factory cooler, never saw over 180 with the 6.0 cooler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really didn't want to hear about tranny problems.

That is the 6.8 right?

Standard tran.
Billet intake, ours.

(Parts about 350.)

Upgrade about 1500.

</div></div>

I have no clue what you are talking about.

I've heard of a few people losing their trannys..from the Powerstroke, my step-dad, buddy of mine also lost his and ended up having to have it rebuilt..

Think if i buy a bike truck I'll go with a Cummings setup...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard of a few people losing their trannys..from the Powerstroke, my step-dad, buddy of mine also lost his and ended up having to have it rebuilt..

Think if i buy a bike truck I'll go with a Cummings setup... </div></div>

Than you'll really have tranny problems... Every truck out there has a weak link Dodges have a weak tranny. So your best bank for the buck right now is a new Duramax w/ Allison.

Brian's Truck Shop in Arkansas is the way to go for reliability. Not sure about price comparison.

i think a ford undercarrage/frame with a Cummings plant and Allison tranny would be the ticket. until then I have to fix what I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard of a few people losing their trannys..from the Powerstroke, my step-dad, buddy of mine also lost his and ended up having to have it rebuilt..

Think if i buy a bike truck I'll go with a Cummings setup... </div></div>

I don't know about the newer ones, but the older Dodges have notoriously weak transmissions. The biggest reason I chose my truck was the upgrades already done to the it. But, the Cummins is worth it.

carparts.net Or if you can Use Eden they both search nationwide Salvage yards. Eden is normally for salvage yards use only. Car parts will search nation wide
or
http://www.themccumbers.com/States.htm
That is my state craigslist search engine that a buddy in collage made

Don't drive like a retard, or chip your Cummins and the tranny will be fine.

If you buy a cummins make sure it has a 48re behind it. and DONT CHIP IT!!

I'd spend the 3 grand and get the tranny rebuilt to bullet proof specs, your only other choice is sell the truck for around 2-3 grand and spend alot more to replace it with a new truck or somebody else's problem.

Ford has a Heavy Duty 4R100. I've installed a bunch on trucks that have gone through trannys. They have yet to break the HD 4R100. They have a 3 year/100k mile warranty, no exclusions.
HD 4R100

That is the absolute highest price you'll pay. Call up every Ford dealer in the area, I wouldn't be suprised if you eventually get it for $100 to $200 over cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4/r100 is whats down. </div></div>
And? Are you looking to replace it with another model? The cost in doing so is not worth it. The issues with 4r100's are well known, and there are many aftermarket solutions. Call up a few tranny shops in your area and see what you can dig up. The transmission I listed has the same robust parts found in aftermarket trannies minus the snap your neck up shifts. Either way you go, YOU MUST REPLACE the trans cooler, flushing it will not get all of the shit out. A good simple upgrade is a 6.0 Torqueshift trans cooler as mentioned above.