• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors $99 silencer

fast freddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
P.C. Florida
theres been alot of hype about thompson machine selling a $99 22lr silencer. may not be much interest here but i love any quiet gun. supposedly its a all aluminum 1" diam. 6" long k baffle design with anodized baffles. Well not wanting to waste money on crap i talked to the owner and im going to take a trip to his shop next week and play with one, take it apart, shoot it, possibly drool a little, more than likely buy some and if you guys would like post some details here. pics and maybe video too.

Re: $99 silencer

very cool. would be a great start for me and im sure others into the suppressor realm for cheap. hope its of good quality

It may just be me, but I have a hard time buying a suppressor that costs less than the tax stamp for it.

If it's as high a quality as the other .22LR's out there, then gas on. But disposable silencers don't work well with the current regulations.

Looking forward to your review.

he said they could do dealer pricing, but i dont know how much less hed go, i know threadin a tube, endcaps and making at least 5 k baffles is well worth $99 to me, also found out he will do custom lengths and widths for not much more. someone got a price of like $150 for a 1.5x7 inch silencer.

fast freddy,

Sounds like you need to do some investigative reporting. $99 certainly brings to mind the old cliché "you get what you pay for" this may be too good to be worth the $200 to Uncle Sam. What specs has he offered up dB reduction, life expectancy, warranty, positive alignment to the host barrel, and accuracy concerns? I think folks would certainly be willing to exam this option and with photos, video, range report and a comprehensive report would certainly be appreciated.

Let us know,

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corsica coatings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gosh....I can barely make one for myself for that price. Wonder what the dealer price is???? </div></div>

That barely covers the cost of materials and machining unless he's bringing aluminum in by the truckload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcr229</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corsica coatings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gosh....I can barely make one for myself for that price. Wonder what the dealer price is???? </div></div>

That barely covers the cost of materials and machining unless he's bringing aluminum in by the truckload.
</div></div>

He's also trying to break into a very competitive market. If his products make it worthwhile, he can raise prices as word gets out.

Not to say it's not a piece of junk, I have no idea. I think that a new company that offered something like this would need to offer up an eye opening feature(s) or price tag.

C3 Defense out of Hiram Ga is also going to be doing a 99 dollar 22 can. Currently they are doing lowers for a reasonable price and offering different colored annodizing. As well as a Billet lower. I know Buzz the owner of C3 and he is a stand up man, now as to how effective and the longevity of his cans I dont know.

IIRC Tactical Innovations (Craig Wheatley) also started out selling his initial 22 LR cans for cheap .. now they are not as popularity has grown.

Seems like a good marketing technique .. as long as its a sound product.

Ahh it ends up being about 15 bucks in alluminum. If you have a subspindle lathe the baffles may take 5 minutes to make and end caps about the same. The tube in a subspindle threaded can be done in about 3 min. I have often wondered where these guys get off charging so much. I may be offering a cheap ti and stainless can if the ATF ever gets my papers off their desk.

Jason

what exactly do you mean subspindle can? these are a outer tube 2 threaded endcaps and k baffles on the inside. k baffles are not really easy to make. the tac65 and pilot and i believe the outback 2 use k baffles also.

Subspindle lathe. It is a CNC lathe with a spindle pointing in each direction. It allows you to machine first side and then grab the part with the other spindle and finish the second or back side with out having to grab it with your hands. It gives you a finish part superior to a part that has to be made in two opperations with human handling(error). It also works very fast. I understand what goes into making a K baffle( I have made a few) they arent hard to make at all. Alluminum is easy and fast to machine. Cheap also. The only thing is the 300,000.00 for a twin spindle machine with live tooling.

Jason

Once you get the program setup for the K-baffles on an NC machine you could make hundreds maybe thousads a day , same with the end caps , the tube would take longer (not much) unless you have a very nice machine like stricktlyRUM is speeking of.

Even if he is using 7075 aluminum (very strong) round bar for the entire suppressor which would generate ALOT of waste but result in a much better part (due to the tolerances that can be controled) that material can be had for about $15 a foot and 18" would be plenty to make a 6" can