• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 9mm 1911 or 2011 suggestions

PowerstrokeOBX

Gunpowder Addict
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Outer Banks NC
Looking at buying a 9mm 1911 or 2011 for tac matches. Not looking to shoot IDPA or IPSC or 3G. I am just really unsure at what to look at and what not to buy.

I'm not really a pistol shooter and don't really love shooting pistols. But it looks like most matches have some pistol stages or targets so I want a new gun. I have .45 Sig 1911 but I'd like to move to a higher cap and lower recoil 1911 or 2011 variant.

Don't know if it matters too much, but I am left handed. So it needs to have a ambi safety or be able to have one installed.

STI makes a fine limited and open class 9mm/38 super pistola... If money isn't a issue how bout a akai or limcat?

or you can come on over to the dark side and pick yourself up a glock 17/34;) It doesn't matter if your left or right handed, she'll love you the same.

I ended up with an SVI IMM (Open) in .38 super comp, and probably wouldn't deviate again. Yes, they are pricey, but so are our bolt guns, right?

Does size and weight matter for your use?

I have a STI Tactical 4.0. I love it. Everything is ambi so you covered on that. They make a 5 inch as well. I have about 3500 rounds through it and not a hiccup with Dawson tuned magazines. About 90% of the ammo used has been 115 grain American Eagle. It runs like a sewing machine!

9mm 1911 or 2011 suggestions

I ended up with an SVI IMM (Open) in .38 super comp, and probably wouldn't deviate again. Yes, they are pricey, but so are our bolt guns, right?

Does size and weight matter for your use?

Weight doesn't really matter. But size does matter. I think a 5-6" compensated gun with a dot sight is going to be way too big. I'm 5'8 so I am not a big guy. Some stages start with pistol holstered and all gear on your body for the stage. Which can mean belt with extra mags, large backpack/sack, and 18lb rifle slung.

I'm thinking full size at the most. No long slide or 6". I am not opposed to running a dot vs irons, but I am thinking the dot is not needed?

STI makes a fine limited and open class 9mm/38 super pistola... If money isn't a issue how bout a akai or limcat?

or you can come on over to the dark side and pick yourself up a glock 17/34;) It doesn't matter if your left or right handed, she'll love you the same.

I wish money weren't an issue but it is. I don't have hard budget but under 2250 unless its just worth the extra cost to spend more.

I would like to fancy a glock but I haven't found one yet that blew my skirt up. BUT I have only shot 1 in 40.

Last edited:
.40= no go in my book. If you wanna play the power factor game, load for 9mm major.

try a g17 with a nice trigger and a few other add on's to make it fit right (magwell, undercut, grip reduction if you don't like Glocks palm swell, etc..)

call me a Glock fan boy but at $525, you've got ALOT of extra coin to buy what you like and the ammo to train with it. I've got a g34 approaching 10.5k down the tube with only a few FTF (due to the same shitty mag). They're simple, well built and have a metric ton of aftermarket parts for you to chase down.

best of luck

Last edited:
Candidly, I would stick to sig if it fits you well. I run a 226 9mm and with factory 15 and 20rd mags, you're in business. Dirt can hinder the 2011 style guns. They hold tight tolerances and like to run super wet. Thorough mag cleaning is in order every time one hits the ground from all of my experiences.

I don't find a dot necessary for most cases, but that's just my preference. A nice to have if you will...look into Montana gold and ZERO bullets. Running major, it's beneficial to load your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot an STI Edge if you like the full dust cover and the Eagle is a good choice if you don't. The Glock is a good gun though. A 34 with grip tape on the grip and a set of Warren Sevigny sights is simple and capable. Glocks are not a blow your skirt pistol, they just work.

That said, shot timers and targets don't lie. It's not a lot but I'm consistently faster and more accurate with the STI Edge.

I have a les baer in 9mm with 1.5" package it does very well super accurate. Another option you should look at is the sig x5 level 1 they are very fast shooting and almost as accurate as the baer

Jesus, there is a lot of variants of Sig P pistols and there's 7-8 different X5s. X5 entry looks good for 1500$.

I'll chime in on the Glock 40 model 35 which is the tactical 5" gun. If you reload, you have the option to load minor which shoots soft as a 9mm with a bit bigger bullet or load to major caliber if necessary for matches. I have the Glock 34 9mm & Glock 35 40 cal and play the IDPA game but also shoot USPSA production with that gun.

STI makes quality guns and I'm sure you can find something that suits you.

Think about your investment and how much you are going to shoot the pistol. Most of all ... make an informed decision on what you need and want.

Scott

My $.02. Look hard at the CZ's Especially the SP01. Mags hold 19rds and shoot like a dream. I think they are going around $1300 all tuned up. Off the shelf gun would be the S & W M&P 9 with the 5.25" barrel. This one would be easier on the pocket book. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Going to go to the gun store and see if I can handle them all. They have 500ish pistols so they should have them all except maybe the x5. I assume the x5 has the same ergonomics of the regular P226?

Realistically I'm not going to shoot it that much at the moment. Maybe 1-2k rds a year for right now. I don't plan on shooting ANY pistol comps in the near future. I may shoot a local grassroots match to just keep my fundamentals sharp.

I've shot the XD 40, SR 9 and the M&P and didn't really like any of them. The XD and MP didn't fit my hands but I don't know what grip they had on them.