• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm AR-15 Build- Need some info

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im thinking about building another AR-platform in 9mm. I already built AR's for myself in .223Rem, 5.56 NATO, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC and .308 (7.62). I want to build a pistol cal.

Seeing that 9mm ammo is cheap and easy to reload, I also have a shit ton of range pickup brass.

I already have a complete .223 Lower AND Upper Reciever with the parts kit.

I know I will need the mag well insert for the 9mm, barrel, bolt/carrier, buffer/spring.

Where can I find a good 9mm AR barrel? <span style="text-decoration: underline">I will be building it in a 16" barrel config.</span>

Would it be easier just to buy the complete upper from someplace (like Brownells)??

I hate to buy the complete upper when I have so many parts laying around.

Any Help????

Post some pics of your 9mm AR if you got one, i would love to see it!

Re: 9mm AR-15 Build- Need some info

Build vs. Buy is always a tough call and it really comes down to what you want/need/etc., how much you want to pay, and how long you want to wait (9mm AR parts can take a little while unless you find them in stock somewhere).

Several places offer complete 9mm uppers, including RRA, CMMG, Spike's Tactical, etc. Prices for complete, 16" barreled uppers (with bolt/carrier/CH) range from around $425 for the RRA units up depending on mfg, configuration, etc. The downside to the inexpensive RRA units is that they come with a non-ramped bolt carrier which necessitates use of the 9mm specific hammer which is yet another "non-standard" part that you have to worry about having a backup for, etc. If you go with something like the CMMG 9mm upper, it comes loaded with a ramped carrier which will allow you to use any standard AR-15 hammer (including some of the 1pc trigger units like the Timney, Wilson TTU, etc.), but drives the cost up to nearly $600 for the complete upper (but for that price, you get the ramped carrier, a WASP/nitrded finish, a 32rnd Colt/Metalform 9mm mag with LRBHO...a $40+ value, etc.).

When using a standard AR-15 upper on a 9mm build, you'll also want to pick up a dedicated 9mm ejection port door and brass/gas deflector. As for parts including barrels, etc., check with Spikes, CMMG, RRA, ASA, Rainier Arms, etc.

Once you decide on a whether to buy/build your upper, you have to select a 9mm mag block for your lower. There are dozens of different options, but personally, I would stick with the Hahn Precision Dedicated Adapter (if this is a dedicated 9mm build and you won't be switching back/forth between calibers) or the Spike’s Tactical Enhanced Block (excellent product, completely adjustable for fit/function, and easily removed for caliber changes). You will also need a specific 9mm buffer, buffer spacer (maybe), and recoil spring. I used a Spike’s Tactical ST-T2 buffer along with their buffer spacer (to shorten the stroke when using an AR-15 length buffer instead of the longer 9mm buffer) and I went with a Wolff AR-15 Carbine Extra Power recoil spring. I have also used Spike's dedicated 9mm buffer with good results along with the XP spring. Finally, I have also run one of Slash's (Clint Butler's) XH 9mm buffers which is excellent, but expensive compared to other options like the Spike's setup at roughly 2-3x the price).

Finally, as a word of caution...9mm AR mags are NOT created equal. You may get decent service from converted Uzi mags, the C-Products knock-offs, the crap-tastic Promag polymer mags...BUT at the end of the day, the OEM Colt/Metalform magazines are the only 100% functional/reliable mags with a LRBHO that I have found to date across a wide range of 9mm ARs from my own builds to factory RRA rifles to the original Colts. They are expensive at roughly $40/mag, but a small price to pay for utterly reliable function.

I don't have any pics of my last 9mm build with me here at work, but I'll try to drag some up when I get home tonight, as well as the build/parts sheet detailing the specifics of the build.

I suggest an ADCO barrel, Hahn block and Metalform mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FL_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest an ADCO barrel, Hahn block and Metalform mags. </div></div>

Steve doesn't do 16" 9mm barrels as a regular item...in fact, his 16" 9mm tubes are straight from RRA in either CAR or Mid-length models (not a bad thing mind you...just don't think you'll be getting a "custom" 9mm barrel). He may however have other 9mm parts/accessories so it is still worth a check of ADCO's site.

Here is one I put together awhile back based on the ASA side charging upper.
Fun to shoot...no recoil...low muzzle blast...and fairly cheap to shoot with ball ammo.
I am also impressed with the accuracy. The upper and barrel are from American Spirit Arms and am not sure who's they use. Using quality ammo it will shoot under and inch at 50 yards. The below picture of the five shot group was using Buffalo Bore hollow points and shot from the prone with a bi-pod.
Hitting 100 yard 4"x4" steel targets is no issue at all.

I am in Calif. and am limited to 10 round mags, but take this rifle up to OR. with me and have used the C-Products 20 and 30 round mags and have had zero feeding or last round hold opens with them.

I went all out on this build:

C3 billet lower
Haun dedicated mag block
Timney 3 lb. trigger
Heavy Buffers 9mm Q buffer and Wolf spring
modded CMMG ramped bolt so it can be used with the side charger
Leupold prismatic 1X scope
VTAC forend and sling
Magpul forward grip

I am actually thinking of selling this complete rifle with scope,mags,scope,sling,etc.

Take care,Stan