• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm AR with Timney trigger...anyone??

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I am thinking of putting together a dedicated 9mm AR as I have a bunch of parts around. My question is has anyone who runs a 9mm AR used a Timney with it?

I have read mixed reports from the very limited info I can find online. And was told by one mfg.'er that as long as the hammer has a radius hammer (the Timney does) then it will run just fine.

Thanks in advance,Stan

Re: 9mm AR with Timney trigger...anyone??

I have one. it has the skeleton 3lb trigger in it. one thing to watch for, with all the mass moving of a 9mm blow back setup....mine is ridiculously easy to bump fire. I even let a rip off of about 8 rounds once while shooting it prone in a carbine class....instructor told me to turn off the happy switch, he wanted semi auto fire......I make sure I keep it tight to the shoulder, and it is sweet....loosen the grip up and you can have some fun real easily.

Hey Stan, I built mine with a 4 lb Timney runs great no issues with 2500 rds down the tube. I used a Gunsmoke Ind lower that was a bit too tight w/ar mags Hahn uzi mag adapter worked great. Kind of fun to shoot.

Thanks guys. That is what I was looking to hear. I have a 3 lb. version and kinda thought it would be fun with the recoil impulse if not held onto tightly.

I will post up pics of the build when it is done.

Take care,Stan

+1 on the above comments.

The only compatibility/function issue will be with non-ramped 9mm bolt carriers (like the RRA for example), which require you to use a dedicated 9mm hammer or a radiused (rounded hammer). The CMMG factory 9mm BCG comes already ramped and is what I recommend to people doing 9mm builds. With a ramped BCG, you can run any standard AR-15 trigger group (including 1pc drop-in units like the Timney), with proper function.

Here is the BCG you want:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/CMMG-Enhanced-Ramped-9mm-Bolt-1320

I was under the impression (was told by the folks were I ordered my upper) that as long as the hammer had a radius top it will run? That is why I started this thread to hear from those uses the Timney triggers.

Take care,Stan

I edited my post above to clarify any confusion, but I'll expand here a little more.

Whether you need a ramped BCG all depends on what you are doing with the rifle. The problem is that there is a notch on the top of a standard AR15 hammer that will catch on the 9MM bolt and prevent it from returning to battery. This will lock to bolt back part way and prevent you from opening the top of the AR15 to fix the lock up and you'll end up removing the buffer tube, spring and buffer to release the pressure on the bolt, then driving out the hammer pin to get the stuck hammer to move out of the way enough to get the damn bolt out and to clean up the whole jam (which takes a good bit of time and is a royal PITA)!

If your 9mm bolt is ramped, you can use any hammer you want whether it be M16, AR-15, 9mm dedicated, etc.
Ramping the bolt removes the ledge that gets stuck on the standard hammer notch. Some DPMS hammers will work without modification to the hammer or the BCG, as will other triggers.

The Timmney triggers are set up with a rounded/radiused hammer so they will work with 9mm as well, including non-ramped BCGs. I recommend the CMMG because it will allow you universally to use any AR-15 trigger unit on the market without concern for function/reliability.

Sorry for any confusion in my earlier post. Needed a few more cups of coffee this morning before I hit the keyboard!
wink.gif

No worries ORD. This is a dedicated 9mm build so no swapping of uppers/calibers. Just something to have fun plinking and to help burn up the 2000 rounds of 9mm ammo I have on hand.
Thanks again for addressing my questions.

Take care,Stan