• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm Carbine Question

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
I would like to build/buy a 9mm SBR carbine for Glock mags and have been watching the sales. It seems that most completed uppers come with a barrel length from 4 - 6 inches but the hand guard extends beyond the end of the barrel and there is a comp of some sort that gets the muzzle past the end of the hand guard. All well and good but I want to run a suppressor some times and it looks like having the end of the barrel recessed in the hand guard is going to make it difficult to do that.

Am I missing something, any recommendations how I keep my barrel in the 4 - 6 inch range and still have enough hand guard to control weapon and still make a suppressor work? Will a suppressor fit into the hand guard if i use one to replace the comp?

Depends on the suppressor, the handguard, the attachment method, etc. Some handguards are meant to allow certain/most suppressors to fit inside of them.

You've just gotta make sure all the parts you're using will accommodate each other.

Without knowing what upper you're contemplating, I would guess that anything that mounts to a 3-lug adapter would get around the recessed muzzle provided the upper doesn't come with one of the narrow handguards that seems to be in vogue these days.
Post a link to the uppers that you're shopping and to the can you're going to use.

Find a handguard with a 1.5" or larger inside diameter and you should be good to go. Then as suggested you could go tri-lug adapter or even direct thread with no other issues !

Was looking at a Palmetto State Armory 9mm upper with 4 inch barrel and 6 inch HG. It appears to be their HG and will have to call them and see if I can get inside dimensions. Cannot post a link for some reason. Want to keep it short so I can carry in a backpack. Kind of wish Troy made a 9mm tomahawk to help reduce the overall length.

Im still wondering when Glock is going to make a 9mm carbine.

I have a Palmetto State Armory 9mm upper with 16 inch barrel, initially ran great for about 60 rounds. I had a out of battery discharge with factory ammo, I had to send the whole gun back for repairs. So I am now waiting to see what unfolds with the rifle.

I used an Odin Works o2 lite 12" hand guard on my build. 8.5" Faxon barrel, Cross Machine Tool upper, Griffin Armament Revolution 9 (K config.) direct thread mount inside the hand guard. Aero makes a hand guard that has an inside D of like 1.8" which works great too. I think Faxon makes a 5.5" barrel, and they are like $115 or so. Overall, it's very light and fairly compact. I think Falkor make a hand guard that may be available for sale, as well as Tresna Defense.

6" barrel plus 6" suppressor, try a 9" or 10" hand guard, and that should be plenty.

edit... tri lug adapters/mounts were sold out everywhere when I built it, plus I found a direct thread mount for $25. I'll get 3 lug later.
even with some rapid fire, it doesn't get too hot to handle.

Scott

Attachments

• photo58915.jpg
    photo58915.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 4
  • photo58916.jpg
    photo58916.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: