• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm Compact Carbine/PDW Ideas?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Okay, so I have this 9mm can I don't use that I'd like a mate for. I don't wanna spend a fortune on it so the HK SP89 semi and other MP5 variants are out. Sig makes that one, then there's the Kriss. Also the CZ Scorpion comes to mind. But I read an article in "Blue Press" (the Dillon catalog) about the 9mm Stribog and how it rated in top few of the PDW's the ACU reviewed recently. It's also cheap at like $500 something.

Never heard of the Stribog before so it got me to wondering what else good might be out there.

So I'm wondering, what would you guys recommend, BASED ON EXPERIENCE with any of these or others. I'd like it to be fairly accurate for what it is and it MUST be reliable, no hiccups. I'd like it to be lightweight and it's gotta be compact.

NO AR's or .300BLK's... I have enough of those already. I wanna make use of this 9mm can and 9" of suppressor just looks and feels fucking stupid hanging off a Glock. Can is a Mystic X so I'm pretty sure I can get it to fit anything but I'd prefer to just direct thread it on.

Oh, I'll Form 1 it, regardless of what it is, so I'm not too concerned how it comes initially, unless I can get it on a Form 4 ready to go. Not having to buy a short barrel upper or other conversion though would nice. I don't mind modifying the stock if/when I need to.

Reactions: dozer460
    Ordered one of those Stribog things for a customer. Not bad looking. I'd still go Scorpion though, good track record, parts are available, mags are cheap, plus Magpul is making mags for them. At my last job I had to maintain our demo inventory. I'd say we put at least 50K rounds through the scorpion suppressed. Never had issues or problems. Direct thread is fine. But I'd still three lug it.

Ordered one of those Stribog things for a customer. Not bad looking. I'd still go Scorpion though, good track record, parts are available, mags are cheap, plus Magpul is making mags for them. At my last job I had to maintain our demo inventory. I'd say we put at least 50K rounds through the scorpion suppressed. Never had issues or problems. Direct thread is fine. But I'd still three lug it.

3 lug is an option for sure if it works... I understand one of the knockoff HK's has a 3 lug mount but I guess it's just for looks as the actual cans with those mounts won't fit it. I have metric booster in it so I'll have to get something I suspect.

Scorpion is definitely on the list.

I only know about the Stribog because of a Dillon article. But it looks like it's got a lot of what I'm looking for. I think. There isn't one around for me to look at.

I got to check out a suppressed scorpion sbr on a firing line. It had a Trijicon new style dot. Top mounted brightness knob. That was impressive. Super easy to hit fast with.
    But, I have this old sbr ar lower in the safe...,

Last edited:
    I know you said AR's are out but I LOVE my AR9 I built. Never a single hiccup, 100% reliable, very accurate Wilson 7.5" 9mm barrel and takes Glock happy sticks. Mine is SBR and wears a 9mm can 100% of the time. I handload for mine, shooting Xtreme 165gr subs which hit like a brick shit house and are super accurate. But it shoots everything from 115 up to the 165's great. Love my Taccom cnc billet magazine extender. 65rd of 9mm goodness. You can get the upper receiver in non-reciprocating side charger as well.

Spartan AR15 Billet 9mm Glock lower
    Spartan AR15 Billet 9mm Upper w/LRBHO
    7.5" Wilson 9mm 416SS Barrel Threaded 1/2-36
    Seekins 9" MCSR Handguard 1.80" OD to fit can under handguard
    Spikes 6 Position Adjustable Buffer Tube
    Geissele SD3G Trigger
    Toolcraft Nitride 9mm BCG
    KVP 17-4 Extra Power Buffer Spring
    KVP 10oz SS Blowback Buffer

Rugged Obsidian 45 with 9mm endcap. Can is almost half way under handguard

115FMJ

165gr subs

Last edited:
    I had a Scorpion. For a very.short.time. Yes, it was reliable. But that's all it had going for it. Issues:
    • The bolt is a one-pound-plus reciprocating anvil. The buffer spring is relatively tiny - getting that massive bolt to move mitigates the need for a stiff spring - but, once moving, it doesn't want to stop either. I hated the recoil impulse.
    • Magazines are plastic and an odd size - I never found a mag loader big enough to fit it.
    • Trigger is the most awful thing I ever encountered in six decades of shooting - something like a 12-pound pull with equally awful creep and grind. I polished the sear with 2000-grit automotive wet-lap sandpaper and put a lighter spring in it. These actions got the trigger to resemble something like a 5-6 pound milspec feel - still lots of creep. Weird sear. CZ offers an expensive trigger upgrade. No experience with that.
    • Just an overall feeling of cheap but reliable.
    Right now I have a Freedom Ordnance FX-9 carbine. AR format with some proprietary bits . My son has the same thing in "pistol" format. Relatively inexpensive. They take Glock mags. Accuracy is decent. Quality is so-so. Mine had to go back to the factory because the 9mm chamber was way too tight - about half of factory 9mm rounds jammed tight with bolt out of battery. My son's had to go back after a few hundred rounds because the weird barrel nut wasn't quite right. Once the issues were resolved, reliability has been 100%.

If I could have any PCC this side of a $2k+ JP, it would be the new Barnes Precision PCC just now becoming available. AR format. $1200 I think. I've fondled one, and it's a big heavy thing (like most Barnes rifles) that will almost certainly be a top-rung performer. Barnes Precision is located in central NC; my experience with the product and owner Andrew Barnes has been exemplary.

And, of course, there's always the option of buying the pieces and putting one together.

Last edited:
    Glock mags in an AR or something using Glock mags would have been a plus and I did consider an AR in 9mm but decided at the end of the day I wanted something more compact with a folding or collapsible stock. And I wanted to keep the cost down on it. I'd also like it lighter than an AR and I don't wanna spend a lot on it. That's why the Stribog hit a chord, it's cheap and it tested well. Just wondering if others are like that. It doesn't cost a fortune to build a simple blowback 9mm weapon with today's technology so I just wana keep that in mind and not pay for something I don't need.

Like I said, I have several AR's and some in .300BLK, I know those will be hard if not impossible to best. And if needed one for defense, I'm grabbing one of those.

Interesting about the Scorpion, that trigger would definitely kick it out of the running for me. Hell, I put a 2 stage adj. trigger in an FAL I hated the stock trigger so damn bad --and they certainly sound similar.

I recommend a CZ Scorpion. I have one and like it a lot. I dropped in an HBI spring kit in the trigger, and put one of their flat face shoes on it and it’s quite a bit better.

I have mine set up with Magpul grip, Zhukov stock, HBI AK safety levers, and HBI 5.3” micro K barrel hand guard combo and an A3 Tactical HK style grip/hand stop. Rounding out with Troy Micro sights and a Sig Romeo.

It’s a 2 stamp setup with the can, but it’s a really slick little rifle.
    20EE7D39-DA00-41E7-9233-35D1FAF84143.jpeg
    409B6FFD-1A48-444E-9781-8C16758ABFDB.jpeg
    5EE8FF1D-4B34-4495-9E5A-7E5B24A8DFF1.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: AMGtuned
    The MPX with a Timney or Geissele trigger upgrade is super nice and smooth. Felt recoil is very flat, and follow up shots are quick.
    Only down side is the proprietary mags are a bit expensive. But they are stout and I have never damaged or worn one out.

I like both of those and they're very nice, but the cost for a 9mm puts me off... I have nice .300's that I invested in already. This is just for fun, still want it reliable but it's mostly just for fun. Hence the Stribog or some such. It's an ugly beast but I guess it works.

Anything else out there?

Reactions: Badfinger
    I like 9mm, and some of the better available ammo makes it appear to me to operate like a more substantial chambering.

My defensive H/G is the Ruger American Pistol 9 Pro. The safety operates like the Glocks. It is normally provided with a 17rd Nickel Teflon finished magazine.

My Carbine is the Ruger PC Carbine, which uses interchangeable mag wells, one of which is for the RAP Magazines. It is a takedown carbine, which can fit into this Sling Pack, which is pretty neat in and of itself. The fit is tight, so the butt pad extensions aren't an option. It's a bit on the heavier side, but it's also a full size carbine, and very conveniently wieldy.

Both firearms are affordable, reliable, and very easy to operate. The accuracy is good for either. Being able to switch the same mags from one to the other is a plus for me. My Carbine runs with an inexpensive Center Point Red Dot that provides switchable reticles, some fairly interesting.

Maybe some here will find the combination interesting. Ruger PC Carbine, Ruger American Pistol 9 Pro. They retail at under $1000 for the pair

Greg

Last edited:
    I ran a range / retail shop for 4 years and we had a CMMG 9mm full auto on the rental wall. I can not tell you how many rounds were put through the rifle but it was our most popular rental. That rifle ran like a champ. We never had issues with it. You should look at the new CMMG banshee wirh the 5" barrel. Put a law folder on it with a brace then use your can.

Been trying to decide CMMG Guard, Sig MPX, or CX Scorpion myself. Guard has the Glock mags and lightweight but not super compact for storage, Scorpion is least expensive and easy to modify but most blowback recoil and proprietary mags, Sig is really nice but has proprietary mags that are not cheap and most expensive too.

Also looking for a 3 lugged 9mm suppressed host like you are but not sure what I want. I know I want whichever is most accurate and least recoil but if none are that accurate or low recoil, I might as well go cheap.

Stribog is an interesting option I had not considered.

Last edited:
    I'm a big fan of the scorpion. It's a great price, mags are cheap, tons of aftermarket support. It's great to shoot suppressed since it's blow back, no gas to the face at all. the stock trigger is very bad, the HBI trigger spring is a good upgrade. I haven't SBR'd mine, I have the factory folding stock with a tail hook brace on the end, and honestly I have no desire to SBR it, its that good.

Last edited:
    I have an SBR'd MPX with the folding stock adapter and a Franklin Armory BFS III, and feel that it's the mutt's nuts. The barrel is from ILWT and has a built-in 3 lug adapter, and I also have their adjustable gas valve.

Mine has the 8" handguard, so the can (TiRant 9) attaches to the 3 lug inside the guard. The stock I have installed is a Minimalist from MFT, and it works well and suits the usage of the gun. The sight is a See-All Nite on a small picatinny riser.

The little thing runs like a top, even in binary mode, and is just too damned fun. Not exactly light or particularly inexpensive, but it really checks all the PCC/PDW boxes for me.

Glock chassis? Like the KPOS or RONI? Reliable, cheap, good suppressor host, foldable, compact, lightweight. Maybe I'm out of my ball field here? Seems like an Interesting option to me

Been trying to decide CMMG Guard, Sig MPX, or CX Scorpion myself. Guard has the Glock mags and lightweight but not super compact for storage,

I have a cmmg guard and it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Hmmm, after the move I'm gonna have to check some of these out.

Having the Glock mags would be a plus and I've heard only good about that CMMG...