• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm mag insert

My Buddy is bringing a (dedicated lower) 9mm online, and was getting light primer strikes. He found out the hammer spring was installed backward.

Problem solved. Apparently, it's a common problem.

He also tested his Palmetto AR-10, which was having cycling issues. He installed "an adjustable gas block", and adjusted it to "half way", and it works perfectly. Likes Mag Tech, and IMI 150 & 168.

Greg

Reactions: Downtown
Wow, I'll get one of those if it works.

Would I only need a 9mm barrel, bolt, and one of those mags? I'm ignorant on 9mm upper stuff.

The buffer & hammer in my 9mm lower are not the same as those in my 5.56 lowers. Very interesting device, but Colt mags in a 9mm lower are very easy to load with a Lula loader and more compact.

OFG

Wow, I'll get one of those if it works.

Would I only need a 9mm barrel, bolt, and one of those mags? I'm ignorant on 9mm upper stuff.

Technically, yes, just a barrel and bolt (Check out FM Products bolts). But get a decent trigger. At this point, still a lot of trigger failures. Most default to Hiperfire, I use POF. Blowbacks are rough on triggers and lower receivers. The POF takes care of it all.

Hmm, I've got an idea forming.

Can a lower with a POF trigger also work for non-9mm uppers? Like I said, I'm ignorant of 9mm AR things.

The buffer & hammer in my 9mm lower are not the same as those in my 5.56 lowers. Very interesting device, but Colt mags in a 9mm lower are very easy to load with a Lula loader and more compact.

OFG
100% agree for a 9mm you want a different buffer. Because 9mm is straight blow back the buffer is usually heavier. in the 8oz range unsurpressed more if suppressed. As for the trigger some carriers require a different shape trigger. I have been told a dedicated 9mm trigger is 0.10 taller . That I don't know. I have a Timney in my glock mag lower and with over 3500 rnds not one failure can be attributed to the trigger. (feeding hollow points has been its problem but I believe I have that taken care of)

The colt mags are much longer, and almost impossible to fully load without a Lula loader.

Updates on this?
I am looking to order some more goodies and may grab an extra multi cal lower if these are working out.

Still waiting. I actually thought about it the other day. I will see if I can get an update this week.

My suggestion is to save yourself a bunch of time chasing things down and just by a dedicated 9mm full rifle. You're already invested in a new upper with a 9mm AR anyways. Most PCC's use a heavy bolt and heavy buffer with a blow back operating system so you're also in a buffer swap. There's very few AR triggers that will not break within a couple thousand rounds in a blow back gun. It's a neat idea on paper, but in practice you I think you will spend a bunch of time swapping more parts than just the mags and upper, tuning and possibly going through some frustrations to get them to run and keep them running.

Why do that when you can just go buy a $1500 JP and $150 in Glock-Brand-Glock mags and have something that will last well beyond 50,000 + rounds? Always happy to talk anyone through the PCC addition. I got bit hard :D
45 Offset.JPG

For post above. I have a glock dedicated lower. I like to try new things.

They started shipping last week, my order shipped today. I will report ASAP.

As stated above, unless you enjoy constantly switching stuff out a dedicated lower is the way to go.

Your buffer options, carbine with spacer, standard 9mm length, and my fav bk 9mm hydro.

e4HqjxM.jpg

My form 1

BlcvqlO.jpg

As stated above, unless you enjoy constantly switching stuff out a dedicated lower is the way to go.

Your buffer options, carbine with spacer, standard 9mm length, and my fav bk 9mm hydro.

e4HqjxM.jpg

My form 1

BlcvqlO.jpg
As has been stated I have a dedicated glock lower. Form 1 SBR.
Also built a colt style 16 inch gun and gave it to my daughter.
The colt mags suck to load, with out a loader I would say it is almost impossible. I can load 32 rounds in a glock mag without a loader. When I shoot (once a month) USPSA my pistol holds 22 rounds and I load those mags all day without a loader. I can not get more than 7 rounds in a colt mag without a loader.
Both the colt and glock mags are ugly.
I have not run hollow points through the colt gun but I can say that 9mm AR's have issues with feeding hollow points. My glock gun did and took alot of work to feed them reliably. I believe this is due to the sharp angle the round must traverse to get into the chamber.
Also i shoot with a lot of guys who shoot PPC and most do not have or have removed the BHO feature because again 9mm ARs are not known for reliable BHO. I have seen many fail.
Also I have 150 pmags, taking 6 and marking them 9mm will be no big deal.
This mag insert puts the round at the rear of the mag this does 2 things. One the BHO will be activated exactly like an AR is supposed to be. With the round to the rear it also give the round 1.1 inches to rise into the chamber instead of about 3/8s of an inch. This is a much gentler angle and I am hoping will make hollow points more reliable.
I will not be swapping, but will build a new gun if they work as advertised.
Also i like to try new stuff. If it works, i will bet you see the end of the colt conversion kits and possibly the glock lowers also.

Ps. This will make a 9mm AR an even better trainer, as the muscle memory to reload will be the same. Reloading those long ass colt/glock mags is not as smooth.

Last edited:
I think some folks miss the point. Sometimes the tinkering, figuring out, and making something different work is where the fun is.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan