• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 9mm pistol...cgs mod 9 vs modular gemtech lunar 9

BoulderE89

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2019
St. George, UT
So I’ve been getting ready to make my second suppressor purchase, this time getting a 9mm for my P10C with a red dot. At this time it’s the only 9mm I can suppress, (might get a threaded barrel for a P320) and am stuck between the cgs mod 9 full size, which seems like a very light and quiet can, or something similar to it but more modular like the new gemtech lunar 9. It has similar properties and design but can be changed in size. I don’t think the gemtech has the first round pop technology and isn’t as quiet as cgs but again, it’s modular. I honestly don’t know what I would value more important between sound and modularity so I’m curious what you guys think? Also, I found the mod 9 online for 400 bucks so there’s that to consider....

Side note: any other ones I should consider for dedicated pistol can?

I have a CGS Kraken/Mod9 and my friend has a Rugged Obsidian 9. After much deliberation, here's why I chose the Kraken.

1) Modularity is over-valued and over-sold by the marketing in this space. I have a Q Erector 22 and guess what? It stays in one config 99.995% of the time. You won't be changing lengths on the fly at the range. My friend played with his Obsidian for a bit and ended up with a baffle strike from quickly misassembling it. It stays in the long config all the time now.
2) The Kraken is the same weight as the Obsidian 9's K config. More importantly the Kraken's balance point is all the way back towards the gun's muzzle. If it balances well the length is much less of an issue, so go with what sounds the best.
3) Kraken's suppression was (to my ear) better than the Obsidian 9 at a considerably lower price point.

Downside of the Kraken is the aluminum baffles can't be cleaned with the dip or tumbled in SS media. I decided this was not of high importance to me, but others prefer to keep their baffles squeaky-clean.

That's my $0.02. Take it for what it's worth!

Reactions: paco ramirez
I have a CGS Kraken/Mod9 and my friend has a Rugged Obsidian 9. After much deliberation, here's why I chose the Kraken.

1) Modularity is over-valued and over-sold by the marketing in this space. I have a Q Erector 22 and guess what? It stays in one config 99.995% of the time. You won't be changing lengths on the fly at the range. My friend played with his Obsidian for a bit and ended up with a baffle strike from quickly misassembling it. It stays in the long config all the time now.
2) The Kraken is the same weight as the Obsidian 9's K config. More importantly the Kraken's balance point is all the way back towards the gun's muzzle. If it balances well the length is much less of an issue, so go with what sounds the best.
3) Kraken's suppression was (to my ear) better than the Obsidian 9 at a considerably lower price point.

Downside of the Kraken is the aluminum baffles can't be cleaned with the dip or tumbled in SS media. I decided this was not of high importance to me, but others prefer to keep their baffles squeaky-clean.

That's my $0.02. Take it for what it's worth!
Yeah I actually purchased a mod9 last week! Waiting to get it into my ffl so I can start my conjugal visits

Reactions: paco ramirez