• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm practice loads

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Been reloading rifles for a few years and now it's time to get the handgun started. Is the process the same as far as prep? What are yalls loads for practice?

Most folks seem to clean the brass (to different degrees) and then process from sizing/decapping straight through to final crimp (or removal of the bell) especially on a progressive press. No lube is required if using carbide dies. Measuring and trimming are not require for straight-walled handgun cartridges.

Sooooo . . . no, it's not the same . . . it's easier :)

Personally I use 4.7gr of W231/HP38 under 115gr FMJRN.

It is way easier. After you clean the brass, you can have 1000 empty cases to reloaded ammo in about 1.5-2 hours on a progressive machine. And while you dont HAVE to use lube on a carbide die, its still highly recommended. It will make the process go much smoother with easier pulls on the handle.

I've had cases bind up quite a bit in carbide without lube (40 and 45). Use silicone spray, works like a charm.
Pistol cases is a breeze compared to rifle. If you don't have a Powder Cop or lockout die for powder verification, make sure you pay attention.

Yes, pistol is much easier and faster. You can fit more in your tumbler and as stated if you get carbide dies things get really simple.
My favorite is 4.1-4.2gr of Titegroup under 115gr FMJRN for plinking.

Golly it's funny to see 4gr in a charge. So yall are firing, tumbling, sizing and loading? No chamfer, debur, pockets, etc? I assume they still need to be trimmed now and again. So will a Hornady dispenser accurately throw charges that small?

You will want carbide dies. You do not need to lube your casings with them. Other than that the only other real step is having to bell your casings.

Just polish your brass first. Even clean dry unpolished brass sizes much harder. Sure lubing your brass even with a carbide die is even smoother but there is no need to. I have done over 20,000 of 9mm and have never lubed a single casing. I reload all my handgun ammo on a XL650.

If you are using a single stage press then lube and wash them. It might be much easer on your hand. I never work brass for 9mm unless I am doing 4k at a time. So what I do is just wrap my working hand in a hand towel and it really helps.