• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm sanity check ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
Hey guys -

Just got a XL 650 and I'm trying to get it setup to load 9mm. I've read through many threads but thought I'd run this past you guys. I'll be honest, I'm a bit nervous with my first rounds. I've been loading rifle for a while but not everything rifle translates to pistol.

Anyhow, here's my load:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] mixed cases which are mostly federal and winchester[*]CCI #500[*]124 grain FMJ-RN Precision Deltas[*]4.0 gr Hodgdon Titegroup[*]1.09 - 1.10 COAL[*].375 crimp[/list]
My concerns:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]COAL - I got 1.09 from Hodgdon's site but it says a 125 gr SIE FMJ RN. Guys at my range say to run with 1.10 and seemed to think 1.09 was a bit short.[*].375 crimp - haven't seen any hard numbers on this and I don't know if I'm over thinking it ?[*]Hodgdon says 4.1 grains is a starting load with 4.4 being the max. I have no need to run this very hard. I saw this 4.1 gr load on many, many threads so I'm hoping to play it a touch safe.[/list]
I'll be shooting these out of a USP Fullsize 9mm and my CCW P2000sk. A buddy will probably also be shooting these out a G19 and G26. Both have factory barrels.

I have a CED M2 with infrared shields so I plan on running these through the chrono tomorrow morning. I have good numbers from all of these pistols with Winchester Whitebox 115gr and Federal 115gr.

Lastly, I'm loading this mostly for plinking and improving my pistol game. I'll be doing some IDPA but mostly punching paper and working to keep up my self defense skills with a pistol.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Re: 9mm sanity check ?

Load seems ok, but the crimp seems a little excessive. I'm running .45ACP on a 650 and have maybe .003 crimp. I'd probably load up a few then remove the barrel and see how they chamber. Dillon also makes a tool so you can see if you are in spec as they come off the press.

1911fan

Thanks for the reply.

I did buy the Dillon 9mm gage. These drop right in to the case gage and also both HK chambers.

I was a bit concerned about the crimp. I'm not sure what it should be ? My only flawed logic was that my carry loads of the 124gr Golddots are .377 ish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Load seems ok, but the crimp seems a little excessive. I'm running .45ACP on a 650 and have maybe .003 crimp. I'd probably load up a few then remove the barrel and see how they chamber. Dillon also makes a tool so you can see if you are in spec as they come off the press.

1911fan </div></div>

I agree with what he said just double check the crimp and see how
they shoot.

Just to update in case anyone finds this thread useful.

I followed the advice here, changed my crimp to 0.378 and my seating depth to a solid 1.10.

I had great results. These 124gr precision deltas are awesome! They shoot very well. I'm not a crack shot by any means, but this was night and day better than the Winchester Whitebox and Federal 9mm I had been buying from Walmart. Only 9500 more rounds and I break even on what I paid for the 650
smile.gif

HK USP Fullsize:

High 1049
Low 1017
E.S. 32
Avg 1035.6
S.D. 7.9

HK P2000sk:

High 1019
Low 988.9
E.S. 30.1
Avg 1003.7