• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 9mm subsonic

skinney_7

Hammer down.
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 23, 2008
    SD
    www.oneillops.com
    was wondering what you guys who shoot suppressors use for 9mm subsonic bullets, i will be using it for 9mm SBR's and some suppressed 9mm pistols. i was looking at the 147gr XTP, and the 124gr XTP, thanks for any helpful input.

Re: 9mm subsonic

I was loading 9mm subsonic match with Hornady(?) 147gr RNBT bullets and Blue Dot propellant about ten years back. They were especially neato loaded supersonic in a Marlin Camp 9 Carbine, good extended range performance.

I shoot GA Arms 147 subsonic,it is the bees knees.I have a Sig P226 and an Evo-9 and it's pretty quiet.I have shot it in a H&K Tactical 9 and it is a bit quieter but only becasue of the polymer frame.1000 rounds cost me 280 and took about 5 weeks.

I use 147 grain cast with 6 grains of bullseye to get about 1050 fps. My silencer comes apart so I do not need to worry too much about the gunk building up.

Ranb

Correction; make that 4.1 grains of surplus NM04. 6 grains of bullseye might put the slide into my forehead.

I made a few hundred 170 gr. 9mm Projos. That some fellas used in their Suppressed p-226's I used VV n345 and n-350 worked quite well. R/ Mike

any 147 will do the trick. As for loads I don't know. For PD I'd look at the federal HST line.

I have a box of HST for self defense, but my shooting is with FMJ (cheap) rounds.

American Eagle (Federal) 147gr is OK, but varies quite a bit. I have 3 stovepipes in a box of 50. Some other rounds felt soft.

I also have some 158gr Prvi Partisan. It is a dirtier round, but more consistent.

So fat, I have only shot with hearing protection as other shooters were around. I slipped the muffs off for a couple of shots, but didn't get to compare the 2 loads.. (I started off to the side, but some guy with a .458 magnum slipped in next to me.)

I do need to compare them before I start loading my own. I intend to use the fastest burning powder for a safe load so I get less crap in my sealed can.

Let me know what your fastest burning powder is when you figure out your load, as long as it will work for 147gr. bullets. i should have all my stuff here this week to get started on the proj.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot GA Arms 147 subsonic,it is the bees knees.I have a Sig P226 and an Evo-9 and it's pretty quiet.I have shot it in a H&K Tactical 9 and it is a bit quieter but only becasue of the polymer frame.1000 rounds cost me 280 and took about 5 weeks. </div></div>

I too have a SIG 226 and have been eyeballing the 1000 round canned heat 147gr subsonics as some practice ammo and stuff to use for my bedside pistol. Any reason to avoid this as home defense/carry ammo? Price seems decent enough and I'd like to shoot one type of ammo rather than bounce around w/ whatever is cheap. Suppressor will have to come later, but if this stuff is reliable then I don't see a reason not to jump on board now.

Back in my 9mm days, I shot lots of the 147 stuff and everything was utterly reliable! There might be a few better loads performance wise for down range results on people, but it worked fine for me and I can't remember a malfunction with it on the range or on the street over many years.

I load 3.8 grains of bullseye under a 147 for my suppressed sub gun and it is really, really quiet.

My setup is a Glock 17, Evo-9, KKM barrel.

Alabama Ammo 147gr Special K subsonics for plinking and Winchester RA9T Ranger 147gr HP Subsonic. The Alabama Ammo is quiet and a lot of fun. The Winchester is louder and sometimes you get gas/shit blown back towards you from the backpressure when you shoot.

I have also shot other 147gr loadings from Federal and CCI, but the Special K is the quietest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me know what your fastest burning powder is when you figure out your load, as long as it will work for 147gr. bullets. i should have all my stuff here this week to get started on the proj. </div></div>

Solo 1000 is your friend. 3.4 grains under a 147 lead bullet works great for me.

Might have to bump that up just a hair for a jacketed bullet, but I see no reason why it won't work with jacketed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot GA Arms 147 subsonic,it is the bees knees.I have a Sig P226 and an Evo-9 and it's pretty quiet.I have shot it in a H&K Tactical 9 and it is a bit quieter but only becasue of the polymer frame.1000 rounds cost me 280 and took about 5 weeks. </div></div>

I too have a SIG 226 and have been eyeballing the 1000 round canned heat 147gr subsonics as some practice ammo and stuff to use for my bedside pistol. Any reason to avoid this as home defense/carry ammo? Price seems decent enough and I'd like to shoot one type of ammo rather than bounce around w/ whatever is cheap. Suppressor will have to come later, but if this stuff is reliable then I don't see a reason not to jump on board now. </div></div>

I have only shot about 100 rounds of this stuff with no probs.I have had posts where people have chimed in about GA "Special K" as well as other ammo from them that made me confident in buying this stuff.I bought it for fun shooting out of my can to make it spooky quiet.Lets face it,full power loads just werent cutting it.As far as using it a an SD round I wouldnt.I would rather use WallyWorldWinchesterWhiteBox bulk for training,which I do and then keep a mag of suitable SD round for home defense.I use my G30 for CCW and home defense, occasionally I keep the Sig on the nightsatnd loaded with hollow points.I guess I wouldnt use it for practice because it's just a lighter load,even if it was 100% reliable.The sub ammo is mainly for fun and I peronally wouldnt train with it.But that dont mean you couldnt.

I roll my own with 147 grain berry's and 3.2-3.5 grains of TiteGroup. 3.2's don't cycle my XD reliably enough, but they are quiet as hell in my SBR. I usually shoot for 3.4 grains just so they work well in everything. I believe that 3.6 grains of TG is the max load. If you decide to use my data do so at your own risk.

If you can find the 158gr Fiocchi I've had great luck with it so far. ATG had it dirt cheap last year, wish I had bought more before the craze. I only have 500rds left.

I use Atlanta Arms and Ammo 147 JHP. It uses a Zero hollowpoint and is very soft. Very quiet compared to Winchester 147 White Box.

HDY 9mm 147gr RNBT's are accurate and have excellent penetration, but definitely don't do much in the way of expansion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dustingaunder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I roll my own with 147 grain berry's and 3.2-3.5 grains of TiteGroup. 3.2's don't cycle my XD reliably enough, but they are quiet as hell in my SBR. I usually shoot for 3.4 grains just so they work well in everything. I believe that 3.6 grains of TG is the max load. If you decide to use my data do so at your own risk. </div></div>

i went with 3.3gr titegroup and 147gr hp, works excellent in both my sbr/yhm wraith xl and my HK usp/ gem-tech tundra, both cycle fine and are super quiet.

I have used a couple hundred rounds of the GA Arms 147 FMJ subsonic without a single problem. Some rounds tend to be a little louder than others, could just be my ears though. I have also fired about 100 rounds of Winchester 147 JHP subsonic rounds without a problem. Wally world WWB 115 FMJ is ear safe, to me anyway, no problems their either. My setup is a Glock 17C Jarvis bbl and an Evo-9.