• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm va 380 questions

o1sick7

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
utah
ok. so i was looking threw a few of the ol reloading books. and i noticed that some of the 9mm and the 380 bullets share some of the same diameters. and i just got a box of hornady tsx's for my 9mm that are .355 and the wife has a 380 as a ccw and in the book it says to use .355 projectiles for her gun. so i was wondering if i could use them in her gun also? i know they call the .380 the 9mm short or 9mm corto. i was just wondering if the similarities are close enough to do this.

Re: 9mm va 380 questions

They are the same diameter, but 9mm bullets are generally too heavy for the 380 unless you stick with 90 grainers.

Sorry it was a long night. It was the xtp's. They are 124 gr. Would they work in the wifes .380?

They would "work", but is it the best or optimum bullet, no. You would have to seat them deep in the case, and they would be moving very slow. I'd go with the 90 or 100 grain weights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: o1sick7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry it was a long night. It was the xtp's. They are 124 gr. Would they work in the wifes .380? </div></div>

They be slow, and probably wouldn't feed worth a shit because the OAL would be to long. You'd have to really have the base crammed deep in the case, reducing powder volume, etc.

Just have to ask, even though its the reloading forum-
You are talking about loading 9mm bullets into 308 cases, not loading 9mm ammo into a 380 pistol right?

-just playing devil's advocate so noone can saw "I saw on the internet that you can shoot 9mm out of a 380"......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just have to ask, even though its the reloading forum-
You are talking about loading 9mm bullets into 308 cases, not loading 9mm ammo into a 380 pistol right?

-just playing devil's advocate so noone can saw "I saw on the internet that you can shoot 9mm out of a 380"...... </div></div>

9mm proj from a 380 = no problem. 9mm ammo from a 380 = bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[snip]

9mm proj from a 380 = no problem. 9mm ammo from a 380 = bad. </div></div>
If you have 9mm ammo that will chamber in a .380 gun, you got some gun problems too.

Using Power Pistol and 100-gr JHPs and published loads, one guy I knew got some lite-9mm velocities out of an HK 4. Worked great until the extra slide velocity cracked the frame. I'd love to buy it, reinforce it and go back for more, but he doesn't want to let it go...dedicated to the .22 RF barrel now.

Thanks for the info fellas. I think after reading the riteup ill just search for some good self defence projectiles for her 380. But it has been a pain to find any in stock. I find fmj's all day long. But a good jhp is hard to find.

I used to scoff at reloading .25s, .32s and .380s as my hands are quite large and those cases are friggin tiny man!

The absence of new .380 is causing me to rethink the wisdom of my thought processes!

.380 and 9mm are the same diameter (caliber) at .355". As noted by others, lighter bullets are optimal in the .380.

.38 SPL/.357 bullets are .357" and can sometimes be used depending on throat and bore dimensions, especially lead bullets!

For extra added confusion, 9mm Makarov bullets are .365"

Inquiry is often productive!

I have a number of 380 pistols, and have hot rod loaded all them to see what happens.

I can regularly get 1158 ~1187 fps with 158 gr .358" LSWC or .357" 158 XTP out of a 100 year old John Browning designed blow back .380, the Colt M1903.

But I can only get George Kelgren's 2004 locked breech design, the P3AT, to shoot .355" 90 gr Gold Dots at 1100 fps.

And my 380s in between in size were in between in output power.

The velocity limitations I found are:
1) case support
2) recoil management driven by slide mass
3) barrel length