• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9mm XTP Load for Unique

fnbrowning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
St. Louis Missouri
9mm sticky has only 11 replies and nothing for Unique powder, of which I have a considerable supply. It appears lately some companies like Sierra have seriously reduced their max load data for Unique. To confirm, I would appreciate it if someone could run me a Quickload. Specifically, I'm looking to refresh my reload data for 9mm Hornady XTP 124gr. C.O.L. 1.10"
Thank you!

yeah, easy. 5.4-5.8 grains @ 1.100 OAL That will generate from 1150 FPS - about 1240 FPS out of a 4.5" barrel using 124 grain XTP.

Unique is decent mid tier powder, it will run great with the above. No need for quickload, I loaded these loads myself and tested it.

Having tested every powder you can buy that is viable for 9MM, reasonably, Unique fell in the "average" or middle of the pack in terms of how dirty it is. You want dirty, go with some TG. You want clean, go with anything from VV

Reactions: MyassisDragon
I find that Unique "cleans up" pretty well, when it is used in loads that generate 20k psi or more. The application of slightly more taper crimp helps matters, also. If one simply cannot get past the "dirty burn" of Unique, there is Alliant BE-86, which acts (for me at least) like a cleaner-burning, better-metering, flash-suppressed version of Unique. Reloading data for the two are not EXACTLY interchangeable, but the variance usually stays in the 2-5% range. Given the current troubles finding suitable propellants, one may find it easier to locate BE-86 than Unique, for the near future.

I also concur with SEMPERFIRELOADING on his recommended load data for Hornady 125 gr. XTP projectile and Alliant Unique. I use 5.8/Unique/125 gr. FP-PC, and get closer to 1275 f/s, but it is likely due to the higher lubricity of the polymer coating.

Last edited:
Reactions: semperfireloading