• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

9x25 Dillon-anyone have any data?

balkandom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2009
NW Arkansas
Hello all,

My father just bought a 9x25 Dillon conversion for his Glock 20, and I will inevitably end up doing the reloading for it. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Re: 9x25 Dillon-anyone have any data?

Better would be to contact Mike at Double Tap Ammunition, who is one of the few (only?) outfits loading for it commercially. 2000fps+ with 115-124gr 9mm bullets if you can find some that will stand up to that velocity. Back in the day when IPSC major power factor was 175, it enjoyed some popularity in Open guns but not seen too often these days except, like your father, as an "interesting" conversion from 10mm.
There is 9x25 data out there on the internet; if you have to start with something I would look at 9x23 or even 10mm as the Sig case is way too small.
Best,
James

James, that's the ammo he bought, I talked to him this evening. I did a bit more research, and in my opinion, he would have been better off buying a 30-30 with a short barrel. That said, the ballistics are sick...I don't know of any 9mm bullets besides FMJ's that will retain their integrity at those velocities...I'm speaking out of my butt, of course-I've never seen a 2000fps round out of a Glock in the first place.
I don't know Mike or Double Tap, but I'm going to try to get in touch and see what he has to say.

8 or 10 years ago, before Mike started Double tap, he posted his load with 800X in 10mm and heavy bullets. That saved me lots of time in finding the most powerful loads.

I already had zillions of hours into developing the hottest 9mm loads. I knew how long combining all powders with all bullets, in overload work ups, could take.

The velocities possible with hot loaded 9x19mm exceed the capability of the mass of a Glock 20 slide and force of a recoil spring assembly that can be used in a Glock 20.

What does it all mean?
~ 50% of the momentum of projectile and gas will be represented in the slide velocity relative to the frame. Figuring out where to put all that energy is hard. Finding a bigger case to hold more powder is not needed.

Guys, the Sig case is very small, I agree. It's a starting point though, that was my point.

I load for 10mm and I have some of the heavy data from years back that Clark is talking about, I don't shoot them all the time, but I always keep some handy when I get to the range to "enlighten" others about what a real 10mm can do.

I also have some loads that one of my dad's friends developed for his G17L and light bullets in the 9x19. 90's @ 1900 FPS from the G17L, and 1700 FPS from the standard G17.

Here's some data I remembered seeing at one point over on the 10mm Talk subforum. Maybe this will help better.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/9X25-Dillon-Loads-t47986.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[snip]
I also have some loads that one of my dad's friends developed for his G17L and light bullets in the 9x19. 90's @ 1900 FPS from the G17L, and 1700 FPS from the standard G17.
</div></div>
Yippi-yi-yay!!!

I'm reasonably certain that's not being done with Bullseye*. I saw a guy test up to 1500 fps with 90s in 9mm Para in a full-size Euro-gun way back when chronographs first got affordable. Impressive indeed, but the cases could not be reloaded again.

*Try some out and you may be surprised that in all but the revolver Magnums and 10mm classes, you can get quite close to top velocities with the typical regular-weight bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[snip]
</div></div>
Yippi-yi-yay!!!

I'm reasonably certain that's not being done with Bullseye*. I saw a guy test up to 1500 fps with 90s in 9mm Para in a full-size Euro-gun way back when chronographs first got affordable. Impressive indeed, but the cases could not be reloaded again.

*Try some out and you may be surprised that in all but the revolver Magnums and 10mm classes, you can get quite close to top velocities with the typical regular-weight bullets. </div></div>

They're done with Unique, and the reload just fine, I quit counting after 5 since I didn't see a poitn anymore, I usually lose some of the cases or mix them up so I lose track after a while with pistol brass.

When did I mention loading them with B/eye and what's up with the sarcasm?