• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 9X25 Dillon Anyone?

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
I'm thinking of getting into Wildcat handgun catridges, as I've collected and own every caliber available in mainstream offerings.

Does anyone make a 9X25 Dillon production pistol, or am I stuck with getting an aftermarket barrel for a Glock 20?

Thanks

Re: 9X25 Dillon Anyone?

9x25 dillon, awesome round, Rob leatham had one of those in open class about 10 years ago he was making major power factor with an 80 grr .380 bullet, that way past 2000 fps. he wore barrels off after 10,000 rds which is nothing in pistol life, 45 can go over 90,000. I saw Rob shoot his onone stage and it was freaking loud as hell even with plugs and muffs. since he is a springfield shooter, you might contact them for a barrel that fits on a 1911.
cool round, good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think there's ever been a production 9mm Dillon handgun by a major manufacturer.

A couple Glock models can be converted, not just a 20. </div></div>

What Glocks, other than the 20 & 29 can accept the 9X25 Dillon barrel?

Thanks.

In theory a G21 G30 if you had the barrel made. If you can go from 45-10mm conv you should be able to do same with 9x25.

I don't think that there are any factory pistols in 9x25.. I can't wait to get my hands on a Gen4 20 so I can get a 9x25 barrel for it..

No experience, but an 80 grain Barnes at +2100 fps sounds like a deer killing pistol round to me! New build???

The 9x25D was initially an early-to-mid '90s phenon in competitive acion shooting. It actually started off in comp-ed 1911s, which as someone noted, Rob Leatham used to his advantage ...

As conceived, the new round finally gave the 9-minimeter some "major-power" nads while the gas jetting thru the ports of the comp allowed Leatham to regain target acquistion quickly w/ virtually no muzzle rise.

Flashing forward, ... you might be able to find, somwhere, a dedicated 9x25 1911, or a comp-ed 10mm 1911 and then obtain a drop-in comp-ed 9x25 tube (either is probably an expensive custom proposition).

But the most economical route would be to buy an aftermarket 9x25 tube from one of the vendors, e.g., LWD, for the G20. I believe you can get these barrels with ports and in longer than stock length, like maybe 6"(?).

Why wouldn't the 20/29 be capable of conversion if the 21/30 are? The frames are the same, they have different uppers on them.

The 9x25 is a necked 10, you'd need to change out the entire upper to make a 21/30 whereas a 10mm pistol (the 20/29) should just need a barrel swap.

My 20 takes a 40 and 357 drop in barrel without issue. I could see having to swap the recoil springs but beyond that and a barrel nothing else.

bohem said:
Why wouldn't the 20/29 be capable of conversion if the 21/30 are? The frames are the same, they have different uppers on them. /quote]

I believe you have it backwards - 9x25mm barrels are available for the G20/G29, but not the G21/G30. Since the .45ACP slides have a wider breachface and thus require a wider barrel hood, one cannot simply drop in a barrel intended for the 10mm Glocks (the 10mm conversion barrels for the G21/G30 accommodate this difference).

It would seem that this would be an easy issue to overcome for a barrel manufacturer, but I suspect the demand for such a product is not exactly overwhelming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bohem said:
Why wouldn't the 20/29 be capable of conversion if the 21/30 are? The frames are the same, they have different uppers on them. /quote]

I believe you have it backwards - 9x25mm barrels are available for the G20/G29, but not the G21/G30. Since the .45ACP slides have a wider breachface and thus require a wider barrel hood, one cannot simply drop in a barrel intended for the 10mm Glocks (the 10mm conversion barrels for the G21/G30 accommodate this difference).

It would seem that this would be an easy issue to overcome for a barrel manufacturer, but I suspect the demand for such a product is not exactly overwhelming. </div></div>

That's exactly what I thought, it seemed that the advice higher up was that the 10mm guns couldn't convert but the 45's could...

And to convert my 20 and old 29 it was just a barrel swap.

A 20 barrel drops into a 21 and works fine, as does a 29 barrel in a 30.

Thus, a 9x25 barrel intended for a 20/29 works OK in a 21/30...

HOWEVER, as mentioned, the 45 breech face is wider than 40/10/9x25 and a barrel intended for one, used in a 45 fits sloppy. No obvious accuracy issues though. Extraction is the key "issue". Manually cycling ammo through the pistol does NOT provide positive extraction but when actually firing, it seems to work just fine other than spraying the empties all over the place instead of back and to the right.

A 29 barrel will fit/function in a 36 if you turn down the OD of the barrel and grind a relief into the barrel hood to clear the slide. However, a 10mm 36 is quite a handful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manually cycling ammo through the pistol does NOT provide positive extraction but when actually firing, it seems to work just fine other than spraying the empties all over the place instead of back and to the right.</div></div>

It works this way for the same reason that blow-back 22's don't actually need an extractor to work.

When the gun unlocks it still has a high pressure region in the barrel and the case is extracted like a blow-back. It then ejects erratically because it's just kind flipped into the slide/ejector at random and without the controlled pivot region that comes from good contact with the extractor claw.