• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A-3 opinions

sjm229

Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Montana
Considering a macmillan A-3 for a build. This will be for a multi use range / hunting rifle in 6.5x47L. I started with a M40A1 in mind but handled the two side by side today and kind of liked the wider forend, palm swell and comb of the A-3.

looking for feedback from anyone with experience with the A-3, pros and cons.

Thanks.

Re: A-3 opinions

My 6.5x47 build is on an A3. I really like the stock, but it has its limitations for some types of hunting. You certainly can find a lighter and more compact stock for a hunting rifle if you're planning on humping it for long distances or in the mountains, but otherwise considering those limitations it works fine for me and it sure is nice when shooting over the bags.

It's a nice stock and, as spotcheckbilly pointed out, it shoots off of bags and front rests quite well due to the lack of butt hook and the squared up forend (vs the A5 type). In the end it just comes down to finding the one that fits you best. It's not really rocket science.

If you will be shooting prone it is great. But if your hunting is going to involve more ackward positions than prone or supported shooting, maybe a shorter and more "all purpose" stock would serve you better.

I'll give you the best advice about stocks. Don't listen to what anyone says.

Why?

Because they are not you. They do not have your build, your strength, your abilities. Only you know what's comfortable for you so until you can get your hands on one and finger f*ck it, don't base your decisions on what others say.

I have had an A3 and liked it. But as with other stocks there are pro's and cons. Again, these pros and cons are my pros and cons and not yours.

Yes, it is difficult to get your hands on one to try, especially if no one in your area has one. But you're talking about a $500-$1000 investment and I would be certain I was going be happy with my purchase before I pulled the trigger. Unless you have money to burn and in that case, buy one to try out and sell it if you don't like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll give you the best advice about stocks. Don't listen to what anyone says.

Why?

Because they are not you. They do not have your build, your strength, your abilities. Only you know what's comfortable for you so until you can get your hands on one and finger f*ck it, don't base your decisions on what others say.

I have had an A3 and liked it. But as with other stocks there are pro's and cons. Again, these pros and cons are my pros and cons and not yours.

Yes, it is difficult to get your hands on one to try, especially if no one in your area has one. But you're talking about a $500-$1000 investment and I would be certain I was going be happy with my purchase before I pulled the trigger. Unless you have money to burn and in that case, buy one to try out and sell it if you don't like it. </div></div>

Yes, you should definitely handle one before you buy one. The stock is very nice looking, but it may not be the best for your hand size. Then again, it may be a perfect fit. I would like to know that beforehand than find out as the owner minus $500.

If you get used to and like the type of pistol grip on the A2, A3, A4 and A5, then it's hard to go back to a conventional wrist bending normal pistol grip. So after being asked for it by many users we are just coming out with an A3 sporting/hunting stock. Looks quite like an A3 but with about 1 1/4" drop at heel(instead of 1/2") so you can shoot it standing and setting, forearm about the same look but has finger groves running along the top so the rifle won't jump up out of your hand like the square sided A3 might when shooting offhand. Will take barrels up to a Remington Varmint or #5 type contour, and is for Remington and Rem. clone type ations. Mold is made, first prototypes are being inletted, and it feels nice. Probably won't be on the web-site for a month or so, but I'll try to get some photos up here as soon as I can.
No adjustments available, it's a hunting stock, and prices like the other hunting stocks instead of the tactical stocks.
Dick at McMillans
(By the way, you guys are the first to hear about this.)

"but handled the two side by side today"

That's the best thing you can do is to compare both. Most don't get the opportunity for a true comparison.

I like my A3 just fine for a combination practical tactical and hunting rifle. 24 inch Remington Varmint barrel makes it not overly heavy.

Thanks for the info. Dick.

How will this differ from the A1-3? Will it have the wider forearm like the A3 as opposed to the more narrow forearm on the A1.

Will it be a month until orders are excepted? I was planning on ordering the stock when my barrel comes in which should be within the next week.

Thanks,
Scott

Of all the McMillans, I prefer the A3. It's the only McM I still have. The grip is excellent for small hands and the forend is neither too bulky nor too wide. It makes an excellent lighter weight all-purpose rifle, with minimum bulk. Ideal for 6.5 short-action build, in my opinion.

SJM,
The A1-3 is based on the HTG/M40A1 stock. It has the standard HTG pistol grip, a wider squared fore-end like the A3 to permit mounting UNS rails in the fore-end, and the comb raised 1/8".
The A3 sporter is based on the A3. The fore-end starts wide like the A3 but tapers toward the front and tapers in from the bottom to the top with finger groves. Still has a flat on the bottom. It will only take up to a Remington Varmint/sendero barrel contour or most #5's.
The comb is the same as the A3 but about 2" from the end it drops down about 3/4", giving a monte carlo effect like the HTG, and then the angle on the bottom of the butt is increased so that the shole recoil pad moves down about 3/4".
Like the HTG is should be a good general purpose stock that can be shot standing and setting for hunting purposes.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Dick, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide details.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SJM,
The A1-3 is based on the HTG/M40A1 stock. It has the standard HTG pistol grip, a wider squared fore-end like the A3 to permit mounting UNS rails in the fore-end, and the comb raised 1/8".
The A3 sporter is based on the A3. The fore-end starts wide like the A3 but tapers toward the front and tapers in from the bottom to the top with finger groves. Still has a flat on the bottom. It will only take up to a Remington Varmint/sendero barrel contour or most #5's.
The comb is the same as the A3 but about 2" from the end it drops down about 3/4", giving a monte carlo effect like the HTG, and then the angle on the bottom of the butt is increased so that the shole recoil pad moves down about 3/4".
Like the HTG is should be a good general purpose stock that can be shot standing and setting for hunting purposes.
</div></div>

DICK!!!!!!!!

Damnit that sounds perfect for me!!! Been looking at the A1-3 for a hunting stock but have an A3 on my 300WM and like the idea of being able to saddle up to basicly the same stock from rifle to rifle. How is the acess of the stock? Can we order one by calling or is it going to confuse the receptionist? Love to get in on the testing of the stock, give a shot at a Lowlight-esque review!!! What is the max LOP this A3 Sporter can be made in?

Dick appears to know his stuff. I, for one, am glad he's posting here.
cool.gif

I say he make available some sample A3 sporters, we get our tactical barreled actions bedded up properly in them, then do a populist review.
wink.gif

Probably too much to ask, even with my blatant sucking-up, but it was worth a try.
laugh.gif

Will the A3 sporter be light? Edge tuype available? Thanks.

Forgot one thing, the sides of the butt are not flat and parallel like the A3, they are a bit more rounded like the HTG.
The A3 sporter is in the computer and is priced the same as the other hunting type stocks. You can order them any time now with all the normal color and finish options. In standard sporter fill they should run 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lbs depending on inletting, and are available in EDGE technology with a painted finish and should finish about 1 3/4 lbs (havn't made one of these yet). We have made 4 so far, two are off to an OEM account for evaluation and the other two are being put together in the shop. May get to shoot one next week. I've got a couple more going thru now and will send one to lowlight for one of his normal fair unbiased ( I'll buy the scotch at the SHOT SHOW if its good) review.

Pics? Dick?????

So this basicly has the A1-3 cheek piece and butt, with the A3 pistol grip and a narrower A3 forend?

I have an A3 on my 308 and an A5 on my 338L.They are actually pretty perfect for their intended uses.The A5 is more of a prone/bipod and bag stock and for a heavy support rifle it's fine.The A3 is a little trimmer/ lighter and is a good match for the 308 as a carry/bipod weapon.I like the fit/feel of McMillans personally but as has been explained you do need to see if you can get behind a few..

Damn, and here I was just hunting with my A-3 stock thinking it was perfect.....oh well.
smile.gif
the drop in the heel would make it perfect.

So now that we have an add for the MCM Tactical Hunter on the hide....is that the new stock Dick? Or anybody from MCM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you get used to and like the type of pistol grip on the A2, A3, A4 and A5, then it's hard to go back to a conventional wrist bending normal pistol grip. So after being asked for it by many users we are just coming out with an A3 sporting/hunting stock. Looks quite like an A3 but with about 1 1/4" drop at heel(instead of 1/2") so you can shoot it standing and setting, forearm about the same look but has finger groves running along the top so the rifle won't jump up out of your hand like the square sided A3 might when shooting offhand. Will take barrels up to a Remington Varmint or #5 type contour, and is for Remington and Rem. clone type ations. Mold is made, first prototypes are being inletted, and it feels nice. Probably won't be on the web-site for a month or so, but I'll try to get some photos up here as soon as I can.
No adjustments available, it's a hunting stock, and prices like the other hunting stocks instead of the tactical stocks.
Dick at McMillans
(By the way, you guys are the first to hear about this.) </div></div>

Well hell, and I just got my A1-3 from you guys
grin.gif
If I had known......

Mike's response on the first page is very good.

My F Class rifle has an A3 Tactical. It's very good for its purpose, which is prone shooting off a rest and rear bag. If that's what your rifle is intended to do primarily, I can heartily recommend it based on how well it works <span style="font-style: italic">for me</span>.

That's not how I use my hunters, and mine have conventional hunting stocks. Looking at the above link for the Tactical Hunter; that baby's right down my alley for hunting. McMillan's site mentions being able to make a stock as light as 2 1/2lb(IIRC). If that was my goal, I would definitely get them on the phone and talk to them about strength and reliability; that's pretty light for a composite stock.

But it's really, really hard to go wrong with a McMillan.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fbomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bump for pics/info on the A3 sporter! </div></div>

Hello? Bump again for above reason.

You may want to give the A1-3 a try.

I find it to be the best of both worlds, very stable yet maneuverable. Also, I put a few rounds through a rifle with the the A3-5 and though the goose-neck grip is not my thing it was a nice fit.

My only quibble with any stock that's offered without adjustment is that they're typically too short from my 6' 5 1/2" frame. My LOP seems to work best at about 16.5". The non-adjustable would be good as long as it could be obtained with the butt pad removeable. I could take it from there myself, should the need arise.

Greg