• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing A-4 McMillian stocks

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I installed the stocks with a badger m5 floorplate on 3 rifles. Torgue them down to 53pds. Now they will not group. Should I have to bed them.I need some help.

Re: A-4 McMillian stocks

While I agree that bedding is the way to go, before you do so, check a few things first.

Are the barrels touching the channel (free floated), does there appear to be any obvious play or binding between the barreled action and stock. When you installed the action screws did they screw in smooth or did you have to finesse them.

Of course bedding is better, and I have had all of my rifles bedded, but might as well try the easy fixes first.

I took everything apart on the rifles. Nothing is touching. I think I will go ahead a bed the rifles. It wouldn't hurt.

There's going to be play if it's not bedded. Whats important is it's touching on the rear nice and square. When you tighten down the stocks, use a torque wrench and tighten them to 60lbs. when you tighten them up, pull the stock forward towards the muzzle so the lug contacts well. If you just tighten them down it may or may not contact well.

I find it very hard to believe all 3 rifles you have need to be bedded.
Call Mcmillan and get their opinion.

I will try that. I figured something was wrong I did. I probaly will still have them beded. I have the others done so I might as well do these.

2 stocks don't have the pillars drill out and 1 does. I didn't install them. I think this was the problem. The action screws had alot of play without the pillar screws. I still will get them bedded though.