• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A-5 stock in high temp

XLR

boss man
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I went out shooting early Sunday morning with my 308 and as always shot around 1/4 moa groups. Temperature was cool at 58 degrees DA around 6800 ft. That afternoon, I suffered the heat and went and shot with temperatures reaching 100 degrees and DA jumped to 7600 feet. Surface temperature on my rifle was almost too hot to touch. I could not group better than 1 MOA. Same ammo. Same shooting position. Everything felt good(except for the heat!) There was really no wind or mirage(despite the high heat).

My question is if anyone has had any problems with the McMillan stocks not holding their rigidity at high temperatures?

I defiantly do not feel that this was "shooter error" as I am very accustomed to this rife and feel that I am more than competent enough to know what I am doing.

Re: A-5 stock in high temp

I've run an A5 for years and have shot in very hot temps in Texas/NM and never had an issue.

they use them in Iraq and Afghanistan so I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature

The rifle was fine have you thought that ammo doesnt like huge temp changes.

What powder were you using Varget is stable but double based powders like Win748 and reloader 15 are not as stable. Also if it was that hot you were having trouble holding on to it in=m sure you would not be shooting as well as you could.

I don't think it's a stock issue. Was your ammo exposed and laying out "baking" in the sun? Did you have a round sitting in an already hot chamber? That'll definitely change/raise your pressures and screw up your accuracy.

My several A5s have been in temps well above 100 and have not ever shown any problems. If there is a bad shot in the heat it is because of me.

Sean

I made sure that the ammo was not exposed to the heat and I never had a round in the chamber for more than 10 seconds at most. Althogh the stock was hot, my grip was not effected. There were 2 of us out shooting and both of us had the same problem and both of us had A-5's. I relaize that 1 MOA is acceptable for military terms and it does not matter when shooting at insurgents but I was trying to see if the bedding was affected with the heat in reference to target shooting.

I am using Hodgden Benchmark power. I have shot hundres of rounds through this rifle in temps from -20 degrees to 70 degrees without much variance in group size.

I have shot mine in 100 degrees plus temps with no issues. Sounds like a powder problem.

Not a stock issue. Go check the forecast for Phoenix AZ for tomorrow (115*, which means it won't be under 100* overnight), and mine shoots fine all summer long.

You know what Frank says about "cold bore vs cold shooter"? I think this may be a reverse syndrome.

This just got covered in the gunsmithing forum. McMillan says that their stock is fine to 160degrees but said the warranty will void if you bake it at 200 for an epoxy finish. Devcon bedding will not do anything until 300 degrees.

Ok the problem IS Benchmark, The powder is made here in Australia and it is called Benchmark2 here as their is a faster one aswell but you can not get it.

benchmark IS not an EXTREEM powder it is not as temperature stable and people using it in hot loads with 80gr 223 loads find in hot temps the back of the case blows out. Also it is to fast for your 308 unles you are using a light projectile like a 125gr. If you are using a 155 or heavier projectile you can only run light loads my advice STOP using benchmark or you will have pressure issues especialy if you are running 155, 168, 175 or heavier projectiles.

If you are running a short barrel H4895 will work well but if you are running a 24" plus barrel stick with Varget it is about the best powder for stability you will get.

we do a lot of testing here and benchmark is easy to thro through a powder thrower but you will get pressure a long way before you reach the velocity that H4895 or Varget will give you.

Hope this helps but it IS definately your problem

Suggestion.

Since it appears that a significant portion of your shooting activity involves higher temperatures, perhaps a little bit of ladder testing under these conditions can provide a load recipe alteration that takes such conditions into account.

Sometimes it pays to bend with the wind.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stick with Varget it is about the best powder for stability you will get.</div></div>
+1 A couple years ago I switched to Varget with my 175smk load and groups were much more consistent. Also, Keep your ammo in the shade when you can.

You could also buy a box of Hornady 168 A-Max TAP or Federal 168 GMM and test this idea if you do not want to commit yourself to new load data just yet.

When you can, let us know the results.

VARGET OR BUST!!!
laugh.gif