• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing A 6.5x47, 140gr VLD, and 395yds later....(graphic)

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
Well I've been wanting to know how the Berger VLD's do on deer and this weekend I was finally able to find out for myself. I figured that I would post this in case anyone else was nervous about using Bergers. I know they are classified as a hunting bullets now, but I was still skeptical. On to the details...

An added bonus was that I got to use my new GAP 6.5x47! Anyways, I'm shooting the 140 Bergers at 2810 out of a 26" barrel. The whitetail doe was 395 yards away quartering slightly towards me. I shot, it kicked out it's hind legs and took off running out of site. I got to where I hit the deer and was confused. I found some white hair and what looked like a very small piece of lung tissue. I looked and found two or three very small specs of blood 30yds away. I thought crap, I hit low. With basically no blood and white hair I must have grazed it on the belly. With no blood, I didn't have much to work with tracking wise. So after about 1/2 hour of tracking I was thinking that I should just give up because everything was pointing to a bad hit. But I just kept looking. I found it about 150 yds from where I shot it.

The bullet hit behind it's front left leg and exited towards the end of it's rib cage on the far side. The bullet went in and exploded the lungs, leaving about a 2.5" exit hole. The problem was that lung parts were clogging the exit hole, and were hanging about two inches out of it. If it didn't happen to me, I never would have believed it! (I have no idea where all the white hair came from.) All the meat on the far side rib cage was all blood shot. The bullet did a LOT of damage.

I know it wasn't a long range kill, but it's my furthest to date, and I'm pretty happy about it. I have always hunted big woods where my longest opportunity is 100yds.

If anyone is interested, I'll try to figure out how to post pictures.

Re: A 6.5x47, 140gr VLD, and 395yds later....

Congrats,

I've shot three animals with the .284 180 grain Bergers so far, recovered all three. The latest was a doe at 125ish yards. Close to say the least but, the bullet didnt blow up. White Hair and lots of blood at POI, no blood trail to speak of. The lack of a blood trail came from a high hit. Entrance was a bullet sized hole, exit was 1.5" to 2", lungs were gone.

The hunting Bergers at 3,000fps and slower work great and seem to give an exit hole everytime. I know of several using them at over 3,000fps and exits are few and far between. My 180's are being launched at 2,900fps.

Hear are the pics....

The exit hole is left of the quarter....
025.jpg

The rifle and deer...
014.jpg

Great shot, always good to harvest a doe, especially from long distance or trying out new equipment. Great looking GAP, can you give us a run-down of components and specs on the rifle. I'm working on a 6.5 project and would like a similiar config. thx

next time shoot her in the head lol. just joking great pictures.

Nice!! Thanks for including that note about the location of the exit in relation to the quarter....I just may have missed it otherwise....hahahaha

Bandit10-4 if you have any questions on the 6.5x47 just let me know. If you don't want to do any brass prep, I would recommend this round. Out of 300 rounds, about 275 were all with in .05gr and the rest were with in .75grs. The necks are so uniform I don't bother turning them.

Surgeon 591 action
Bartlein 1-8.5" 26" barrel fluted
A5 stock, adj cheek piece
Badger med-high rings
nightforce 5.5-22x 50mm with zero stop
unloaded with out bi-pod is 14.6 lbs

I started with RE-17, got up to 2840 fps with the 140gr Bergers. But the load was very temp sensitive so I switched to H4350. I found what worked best and saved the rest for hunting. (At the time it was difficult to find the 140gr Bergers.) I was just trying to develop a load so I never shot more then 3 shot groups. But the first 3-shot group with this load was .066" at 100yds.