• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A amateur question

bracyb

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2012
With a lot of help from you guys, I ended up buying a fn 300 wsm and a vortex scope. I have always sighted my scopes in at 100 yards. (Like to be 2in high at a 100). But a friend of mine who does some long range shooting told me to sight it in at 125 yards. Could someone explain why???? Thanks

A amateur question

Because he hasn't got a clue. Sight in at 100. Run your data tables. Memorize your DOPE to 500. Hold or dial, but know where the bullet will hit.

What he is describing is a PBZ, a point blank range zero that puts him within a few inches high to a few inches low between a minimum and a maximum distance from the target.

Last edited:
Zero at 100 and run your data book from there. What type of optic are you running MOA or MIL? And What type of round?

first ? What are u using ur rifle for? what kind of scope? (capped or uncapped) On my hunting rigs I usually sight in at 250 and that will give me a good point blank range for hunting. now if im running a scope that I can dial, I just set it at 100 and dope it out from there.

My hunting rigs are: 25-06, 270wsm, 300wsm, so my max point blank is a little out there, would not use that sight in range for a 30-30. and I live in western Kansas so we can see for a ways.

Last edited:
A amateur question

Why take an otherwise accurate rifle and purposely make it inaccurate?

I'm with you Graham, not sure why someone would just stick to PBZ with a very capable rifle out to a solid distance, other than the shooter not being capable of achieving those hits at greater distances.

I would do exactly what Graham posted above, zero at exactly 100 (not 2'" high or low), and work your DOPE out to whatever distance you may be shooting. With the ballistic calculators today its as simple as knowing your muzzle velocity, inputting the correct numbers and you're basically done. This should always be verified but it will pretty much get the job done.

A amateur question

If you want to estimate something, estimate the range of your target, not your zero.

Because a man with one watch knows what time it is.

A very wise man once told me never start an argument with someone that can end it from another area code. (Not sure how this applies but whatever I wanted to say it)