• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A bad, and good, day at the range today...

Beyschaefer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Behind the Redwood Curtain, CA
A lovely day in far-northern coastal California (despite the liberal politicians, hippies, pot growers, methheads, and what's with the guy in Arcata who hangs out on Alliance road with two YAKS?!?! Two honest to god Himalayan-type Yaks...).

A great day for a rifle match, specifically the "Can Clobber Classic" match at the Long Prairie Gun and Archery Club. No, not a "Tactical" match. But a fun match for precision deer rifles by a bunch of bumpkins (myself included).

5 "Ensure" bottles full of water. 300 yards. 5 shots. If it leaks, it counts. If it don't, it don't. If anyone runs the bank or ties, they set up another set, and they run until someone misses.

Embarrassed to report a "0 for 5" score for me on that part of the event. Just not enough time to get the scope back on my rifle, and get a brand new batch of brass properly prepped for my rifle. Load was a little more "slapped together" than I was happy with.

Rifle is my Tikka 595, left hand, in .223, that CDI Precision was good enough to fit with an AI DBM. (Tikka 595 owners, take note!). Load was 64grain Berger flat base bullets, 26.5gr of the very last of my Varget, and brand new Win brass, FL sized.

However, After I missed all five cans, we moved on to the other hanging targets. A small can of V8 juice (missed, but finally started getting dialed in), a couple swinging soda cans (missed, but getting even closer), and then the Golf Ball…
I had to wait for 7 other shooters to have their try at it… while I tried to figure out the breeze (from the left at the line, from straight away at the 100 yard berm, and from the right at the 300…).
Center-punched the golf ball! Won the bag of beef jerky. :)
The 200 yard thumb-tack took us collectively more than 40 rounds, going around and around, one shot each, until one guy with a heavy barreled Win 70 in .308 punched it through the paper.

Next year, the match director is trying to scare up some better prizes (he was as pressed for time getting the match together this year as I was getting my shit together to shoot it), and have a "practice day" before-hand.

I'm hoping by next year, my Tikka will be wearing an 8"-twist barrel instead of the factory 12" twist barrel, and possibly a better scope. This older Japan-made Simmons 8-32x50 isn't bad, but there are certainly better ones out there.

Still, a good day at the range…. and there were chocolate muffins and cold soda.

Attachments

• P1030356a.jpg
    P1030356a.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 11
  • P1030383a.jpg
    P1030383a.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 14
sounds like a great fun day at the range, win or loose it is still better than being at work.
congrats on bringing home the jerky with what was probably the second hardest target of the day.

Few years ago, I won the turkey by running 9 out of 10 in the shoot-off... Same rifle, more prep time :)

It sure was a nice day there today... 70-something degrees, bright sun, not a lot of wind, and time to BS with other shooters.

And I'm keeping that golf ball...

Any day of any week, I'd take an unsuccessful day at the range over a successful day of sitting inside. Looks to me like you had a great time, and whatever inaccuracies you suffered weren't due to laziness or inattentiveness, so I say congrats.

-David